Require help with chainsaw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your help, I just ordered a husky 359.. actually due to a website not likeing my shipping address i ordered 8 of them.
One way of starting out this CAD:msp_w00t:

WOW! I think it will take forever too break in 8 359's at two cords a year.

Haha, well there was an error on the website, It kept charging my card for multiple saws till i ran out of credit on it. An email sorted it out this morning.. I hope. I like the idea of a 372xp as well though.

Well i ordered a 359 w 20" bar and chain. Recieved a 346 xpg w 16" bar and chain.
Is the 346 going to do what i want ? cant see myself needing the heater though as i wont be cutting at anything below 15 deg C.

Well i ordered a 359 w 20" bar and chain. Recieved a 346 xpg w 16" bar and chain.
Is the 346 going to do what i want ? cant see myself needing the heater though as i wont be cutting at anything below 15 deg C.

Yes, easily. 2 cord a year? It will take 3 years to break in the saw!! CJ

Sounds like you asked for Olga the mail order bride and got a younger hotter sister that is going to put a big smile on your face for two cords. And she's got some fire in the handlebar that Olga didn't have.
The 346xp is good enough to do what a 359 is expected to do for (more than) two cords.

accesories

Thanks Indiansprings.

I am now down to the 359 or the 372xp.
just trying to justify the extra $ for a saw that will get used only a few times a year..

--what you save by getting the 359 you could put towards some chaps and other gear like that. Just a thought.

Thanks, was just worried about it being a 'smaller displacement' saw. With the hard/heavy woods we have here. I am also new to the .325 chain any disavantages?

Thanks, was just worried about it being a 'smaller displacement' saw. With the hard/heavy woods we have here. I am also new to the .325 chain any disavantages?

The 346 is a good little saw, but it's just not going to rip hardwood as good as a 60cc saw. I think the 359 would have been the better all-around choice.

What happened? They send you the wrong saw? Well, you could always get a 372 later on and have a good two saw plan. :)

Yep wrong saw sent. I did think about a 372xp or a 365, but then that is two saws to maintain for a couple of 1/2 days of real use per year.

who was it you ordered from and got the wrong saw? I would contact them with my "extreme disappointment." They might just appologize with a discount, maybe enough to bump you up to the 372XP!!:clap:

Of course you could just get yourself an MS460 Mag and wonder why you ever considered a Husky! :poke:

Yeah he has appologised for the mistake. We are still negotiating.
Anyone in Australia want a cheap 346 XPG ?

Yeah he has appologised for the mistake. We are still negotiating.
Anyone in Australia want a cheap 346 XPG ?

I would highly suggest using the saw first, I think you will be surprised. I have a 359 and if it did not have sentimental value it would either be sold or a loner saw [a fate worse than death IMHO]. Naaa I would just sell it. Use the 346, get it broken in and I bet you keep it. CJ

Well i only need one saw for the wood i do. I am a bit worried it may struggle in the hard woods and then ill be up for a second saw. The 359 was also a compromise saw, i think a 365 or 372 would be the best way to go, but was holding off on the $$$ of the 372, hence the 359.

For the small amount of wood you cut, the 346xp will be fine, very fine.
I cut 15+/- cords a year with one. :msp_biggrin:

Use it for a while and if you need a larger saw, trade up, or add a 372.

Hey, first post fo rme here but I had to chime in.

Cutting barely 2 cords a year you can get by with just about anything. I spent 12 years cutting my firewood with a cheapie Craftsman (rebadged Poulan) 42cc 18" saw before it finally gave out late last year. I burn about 7 cords a year, though to be fair the saw only did little bits here at there for awhile, but in the last 4 years I've cut a good 25-30 cords with it.

Sharp chain and a watchful eye for dirt on the logs and you can get by with a whole lot less saw than you're thinking. That 346XP is one hell of a lot of saw for what you're doing...you will not be disappointed. Work it out with the company that screwed up and get them to send you a 20" bar and chain to compliment the one you have now and you've got a saw thats going to do everything you need and never break a sweat.

All that said, I'm fully into the CAD thing and the more saw you have the better. I just picked up a new 359 for a freaking STEAL and I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the time to fire it up and kill some trees.

Well CAD got me, i also have a 372 XP XT sitting here now..I think i will be right for saws for quite a while.

For the small amount of wood you cut, the 346xp will be fine, very fine.
I cut 15+/- cords a year with one. :msp_biggrin:

Use it for a while and if you need a larger saw, trade up, or add a 372.

It all depends on the size of the wood! :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back