Right equip for first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Trying to combine all my questions in one post... With my 340 on the way, I would like to get a good sharpener and depth gauge but not a crazy expensive one...El Manual is fine w/ me. Not sure where to look, have a Harbor Freight nearby and sometimes you can get decent tools there but just a thought.

As far as safety goes...would like the necessary gear...helmet, chaps, etc, having a family now I really don't need to take any chances. I haven't used one but a mesh face shield just doesn't seem to be as functional as a plexi type....am I wrong to assume this or can you see fine through a mesh? I would guess a plexi would be safer. Are there chaps or gloves that I should stay away from, meaning is there dedicated safety gear that has been steered clear from for whatever reason?

I see alot of package deals on safety equip but should I buy these items seperate for a better selection...not sure if I like the bright orange helmets, can I get any ole hard hat w/ a face shield?

I have used saws before but never owned one and I do feel more comfortable with the newer saws, but before I start getting some time in on this thing, I do want to ask as many questions (repetitive probably) as I can just to cover all my bases. Back in the day, earplugs and glasses were all I used to see people wear. The ole Eager Beavers and late 70's Poulans with no chain brake is what I used first...what a bear but after searching this site and reading all the horror stories, I'd like to be overly safe for a change.

Welcome to the site GMC. Mesh works fine, I have used mesh screens for years on the ground and in the trees. Glad to see you care about yourself, chainsaw cuts ain't pretty.

+1 on the mesh - - Works great. As far as hearing protection I prefer muffs to earplugs. Many of the dedicated saw helmets have them attached.
Just about any good fitting leather gloves work for your hands however I do believe there are safety gloves with saw backing material on them!?!
Of course chaps are important, as well as sturdy footwear and steel toes.

In addition to all the equipment you should STOP cutting when you get tired.
Don't push yourself - that's when mistakes and accidents happen.

Good luck and again - enjoy that new Husky 340!

Al:clap:

Welcome to the site. All chainsaw chaps are not equal, but all are better than none. Check out the Labonville ones in the vendor area, but you could also just run out to your local saw store and get what you need. Heck, even the Lowes around here carry Husky chaps and helmets.
Good sturdy boots are also important, gloves too.
Good luck.

Hi.

1. Mesh is better than perspex, no question. Muff/Mseh Visor/Helmet combination is easiest and best!

2. Chaps are great in Summer. In winter I prefer Chainsaw Trousers, but your decision may be based on how much you use your new 340...

3. Wear / Get a good pair of shoes. One slip and you're a gelding... always be aware of your footing.

4. I find chainsaw gloves more of a safety risk as you cant "feel" the saw. A good pair of leather gloves is ok for wire rope handling, otherwise I go bare.

5. Tell someone where you are working and what time you will be back. That way your wife can get the beer cold for when you get home, or look for you when you dont turn up...

:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Harbor Freight and others sell Kevlar mechanic's gloves; good feel, better protection than leather.
Helmet, mesh, muffs in one unit is easiest. The mesh never gets scratched.
Consider a cell phone for safety.
The Granberg File & Joint sharpener is accurate, cheap, and easy to learn; do a search on Granberg.
+1 on quitting at the first sign of fatigue.

You're on the right track with PPE and the desire to stay safe. However your brain is your single best piece of safety equipment when used properly.

1. Plan every cut and always know where your bar's danger zone is.
2. If you're tired, rest. If your exhausted knock off for the day.
3. Don't cut alone.
4. When it comes to felling you only get one chance to do it right. Take your time, study the tree, proceed slowly and double check your cut right up to the hinge. (I learned this lesson the hard way)
5. Proper footing is critical.
6. Keep the cutting area as clutter free as possible.
7. Read the chainsaws manual.
8. Try and take a landowner's chainsaw course if available. If not then read the online OSHA logging advisor - it's actually quite good.
9. It's also a good idea the plan your cutting depending on when you're the most alert. I think felling and limbing should be done when your mind is the freshest. Bucking can be done a little later. Once you're approaching the tired stage do your loading/splitting cleanup.

I wouldn't invest in an expensive sharperner/grinder. Just keep your bar out of the dirt and all you'll need is a touch-up after each outing. If you do hit a rock or a broadhead or nail in the wood (I've done them all), then let your local shop grind the chain for a few bucks. But that should be the exception, not the rule. Oh, and have a spare chain with you in the woods. It's much easier to swap out the chain than to file a severely damaged one.

Also, mesh visors were developed, I think, because they don't fog up; Important consideration, especially this time of year.

First aid items worth considering: feminine napkins and duct tape.

Last edited:
All good +1 on the cell phone

I have to say you are wise in getting the proper safety equipment. I just don't care for gloves (maybe I just haven't found the right ones yet) I do not like to cut alone period. If it is necessary, carry a cell with you, not in the truck, or on the hood of said truck, with you! Always let someone know where you are, and when you will return. Already lost one buddy cause we could not find him, and a tractor had got over on him. God, only issues what parts you got on you, no more.

I surely appreciate all the advice, didn't think about the fogging of the faceshield...makes mesh a no-brainer. I've just wondered about the "heaven forbid" event of the bar coming back to your face, would the mesh even hold up? I don't plan on allowing myself to be put in that situation but just a thought. I'll let ya know how it went if the weather holds up this weekend. Thanks again.

If your chainsaw can cut through wood, a plastic face sheild would do absolutely squat if it kicks back.

If the job looks dodgy, find someone of lower inteligence to do it for you so you dont get hurt. most people call these people arborists :jawdrop:

just kidding guys :chainsaw:

I surely appreciate all the advice, didn't think about the fogging of the faceshield...makes mesh a no-brainer. I've just wondered about the "heaven forbid" event of the bar coming back to your face, would the mesh even hold up? I don't plan on allowing myself to be put in that situation but just a thought. I'll let ya know how it went if the weather holds up this weekend. Thanks again.

Hopefully, the bar would hit the rim of your hardhat or helmet which would provide a bit more protection. 99% of all accidents are caused by these 4 things (by you or someone near you):

Rushing...Frustration...Fatigue...Complacency

The other 1% are acts of God. Drill those 4 things into your head. It'll make a difference.

Last edited:
If your chainsaw can cut through wood, a plastic face sheild would do absolutely squat if it kicks back.

If the job looks dodgy, find someone of lower inteligence to do it for you so you dont get hurt. most people call these people arborists :jawdrop:

just kidding guys :chainsaw:

Top 10 Thoughts that go thru my head daily :

1) You have to be crazy to want to do this job (Arborist )
2) I should have stayed in school
3) I should go back to school
4) I should have quit after the last job
5) I'm not making enough money for this job
6) I hate school
7) I need to bid more jobs
8) I'd make more money , if I'd quit buying so much gear
9) :censored:
10) I love my job !

Last edited:
Chaps good. In hot climates (California in the summer), they get to be terribly annoying.

I like helmet and mesh faceshield. Helmet is not only for kickback, but also because little things (like branches) can go flying when felling.

When cutting all day long, I prefer ear plugs over ear muffs. If you like music: there are some very good in-ear headphones, which act like earplugs and suppress noise from the outside, while giving you really high-quality music from your ipod. Look for Etymotic at www.headphone.com. Whether listening to music when felling is a good idea or not is a good question. When felling softwoods, I actually take my earplugs out when the tree is about ready to fall; like that I can hear the first bit of motion in the tree, before I can see the trunk move.

On the other hand, if you are working with other people (in my case with wife and kid, usually for brush removal on steep slopes around the house), and only running the saw intermittently, then ear muffs are good, because you can quickly pop them on before starting the saw, and pop them off after you are done and still talk to others.

Also very important: Good boots, with excellent soles (I like Vibram) so you don't slide around, and with steel toes. If the chainsaw swings down, you'll either get your leg (that's what chaps are for), or your foot. Also, if you have poisonous snakes in the area, having sturdy and tall boots on is a good idea (a few weeks ago, my wife nearly stepped on a coiled-up rattler next to the garden hose faucet).

In the department of things that are more comfort than safety: Even in the hottest summer weather, I wear long-sleeve shirts when working in the forest. Getting the arms all scratched up is not fun; trees around here seem to attract huge quantities of either poison oak or of blackberry around the trunk where you have to work.

Back