Ruined my boots. (Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done both. If I can stand the pain and think that I will not completely loose the nail I will leave the nail intact. That's the best way However, when the pain becomes mind numbing to the point of driving me out of my tree I will relieve the pressure with a red hot paper clip or something of the like. Words can't describe the sense of relief I feel when lancing the nail and relieving that pressure. Anyone who has smashed a thumb or finger and lanced the nail knows what I am talking about. Let me tell you a toenail is much more painful than a thumb or fingernail. I usually coat it in triple antibiotic ointment and bandage it up after the surgery... ;)
Red hot paperclip works great, I know this as well. Infection ain't gonna get in that little hole. If you are concerned seal it with some crazy glue.

The guy i was working with yesterday took a chunk out of his leg with the hedgetrimmer, Not too bad but the wierd thing is it cut his boilersuit and leg but not his jeans??????

I have worked with two guys that have lost toes because they were cushed with steel toe boots.

Really?

MYTH
Steel-toe boots are more dangerous to your toes than normal boots when a heavy weight is dropped on them. Whereas a normal boot would just crush your toes, a steel toe would curl and crumple in, cutting your toes off.
BUSTED
Using similar tests to those used to test steel toe boot certification, Adam and Jamie determine that your toes are much safer with steel toe boots than without. There was no toe-cutting curling of the steel toe, and even using a blade attachment didn’t work, only glancing off the steel toe to cut right above where it ended.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode42

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_42_steel_toe_amputatio.html

Lots of guys have lost toes because they were NOT wearing steel toed boots. Or maybe cheap boots that did not meet the ANSI standard?

Philbert

The way i look at it is if the object is heavy enough to smash the steel plate, It's gonna take the toes no matter what you have on. I'm trying to find some steel toed caulks locally but ain't having too much luck. I see the steel toe protecting the toes better if you hit the boot with a saw.

The way i look at it is if the object is heavy enough to smash the steel plate, It's gonna take the toes no matter what you have on. I'm trying to find some steel toed caulks locally but ain't having too much luck. I see the steel toe protecting the toes better if you hit the boot with a saw.

+ 10

Philbert

Really?

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode42

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_42_steel_toe_amputatio.html

Lots of guys have lost toes because they were NOT wearing steel toed boots. Or maybe cheap boots that did not meet the ANSI standard?

Philbert

I saw that show, and laughed.
YES, REALLY!!!
I was working as a machinist for a company that built mobile oil drilling rigs. HUGE steel parts. We had a lathe, 5' of swing on an 8' bed. Cable spools for winches where welded together and finish turned on it. 6' dia. 5' long.
I pulled the muscles in my back trying to load a part using the overhead crane on that lathe. Heavy stuff!!
If they would have been better off without steel toes, I don't know, but I DO KNOW they CAN AND WILL cut your toes off!

I am saying that it is possible to loose toes wearing steel toed boots.

As for these two gentelmen, I think the out come would have been about the same.

Ive had a few close ones and wear steel toes for all work even when driving a tractor!
Usually steel mid-soles as well

I am saying that it is possible to loose toes wearing steel toed boots.

As for these two gentelmen, I think the out come would have been about the same.
I never stated that you cant loose toes wearing steel toed boots. Was just saying at the point you loose your toes with steel toes your toes would be long gone with out the steel toes.There have been a few occasions of people having there feet severed by large airplane tires rolling over there feet. Your looking at 15-30,000 pounds of wieght. That much weight steel toes wood make no difference bye bye toes. Now in the reality of most people drop a 100 pound weight one foot on tour toes steel is gonna save a whole lot of hurt.

Most corks out west are made with out steel toes wesco, whites, hoffmans all consider steel toes and add on at extra charge. Logging shops out here all stock none steel toes. Either you can get the Viking rubber ones like Bob mentioned which you can get with chainsaw cut resistant material or prolly order leather ones with steel toes. The wife has a set of the vikings she really likes the traction in the brush. For people who havent worn em corks are an amazing step up in traction.

I never stated that you cant loose toes wearing steel toed boots. Was just saying at the point you loose your toes with steel toes your toes would be long gone with out the steel toes.There have been a few occasions of people having there feet severed by large airplane tires rolling over there feet. Your looking at 15-30,000 pounds of wieght. That much weight steel toes wood make no difference bye bye toes. Now in the reality of most people drop a 100 pound weight one foot on tour toes steel is gonna save a whole lot of hurt.

I wasn't fighting with you.
As I said, I watched the Myth busters episode on that and a LOT of people think it's an end all beat all with steel toes now. It's not.

Most corks out west are made with out steel toes wesco, whites, hoffmans all consider steel toes and add on at extra charge. Logging shops out here all stock none steel toes. Either you can get the Viking rubber ones like Bob mentioned which you can get with chainsaw cut resistant material or prolly order leather ones with steel toes. The wife has a set of the vikings she really likes the traction in the brush. For people who havent worn em corks are an amazing step up in traction.

Calks are definatly worth the expense for the increased traction, I bought a pair of Hoffmans in the fall and couldnt believe the difference they made. I wear them whenever I'm in the woods. and they're great on ice also :) I had mie made with the steel toe for the same reason you stated, havent ever needed it but I havnet worn anything with out steel toe since I was in high school. (got me in all sorts of trouble with the gym teacher)

Hoffmans fit about like my redwings, and they say you can return them if you havnt worn them outside so I took a chance on them. Glad I did too, they are alot more comfortable than redwings and they apeare to be built better too. My next pair of regulat sole work boots will be Hoffmans with steel toe.

I have both the calked and the regular Hoffman's. They are both great boots. For removals the calked boots are great, and you can take 3 calks off and wear spikes as well. They also have different types of calks to choose from and if you buy the calked boots and find out later that you really don't like them you can send them back and they will replace the sole with a regular sole of your choice. They also make the boot custom for you so you can get off sizes, or wide, with or with out shank or steel toe. If you buy them get extra insoles that they sell. They have a web site, check it out.

I have both the calked and the regular Hoffman's. They are both great boots. For removals the calked boots are great, and you can take 3 calks off and wear spikes as well. They also have different types of calks to choose from and if you buy the calked boots and find out later that you really don't like them you can send them back and they will replace the sole with a regular sole of your choice. They also make the boot custom for you so you can get off sizes, or wide, with or with out shank or steel toe. If you buy them get extra insoles that they sell. They have a web site, check it out.
Sounds like what i need an off size 10 1/2 wide. Who sell them. I guess there is no loggers around arkansas cause nobody i've found sells boots with caulks. I was going to order a pair from baileys. But i know that no half sizes is not gonna fit right. I've got an old pair of steel toes to work in right now, but they don't fit very good and after a long day they will rub blisters on my heels. They are not a half size either, I have to wear a really thick sock or two pair as they are size 11.

Last edited:
I also have a pair off hofmans Ive been very pleased with fit and build for the price,

Latest posts

Back