Safety Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have always worn eye protection and gloves, about two months ago i started wearing ear protection(except when tuning) but have yet to get a set of chaps...after reading this is think i should order a set and get used to wearing them. idk if i'm gonna wear a hard hat though unless i'm falling a big one...maybe i should just order one of those too

My gear choices (now)

Either a full husqvarna helmet, mesh face shield and hearing protection or 3m ear muffs as a minimum (ie if just testing a saw - tinnitus from skipping this sucks....

My favorite now is Youngstown Kevlar gloves, perfect fit in medium for my fairly small hands. Also have size 9 husqvarna gloves, but they have too long fingers, and only have protection for 1 hand.

Chaps - have both stihl homeowner that zip on and now Labonville clip on.

Haven't used the Labonville to have an opinion either way.

And a pair of blundstone steel cap boots.

can we get some suggestions on PPE? likes, dislikes?

I use the Stihl chaps, safety glasses, forestry helmet/face guard/hearing protectors, and gloves, which have stood up well for the past year and a half. Chaps come clean in the wash; pulled a couple of stitches out of one of the straps and melted a small hole in the pocket on a hot muffler, but that's about it as far as wear and tear.

Haven't heard any specific suggestions on modifying technique to reduce the risk of this type of coasting chain injury, so here's my take, please consider or discard as you see fit. When cutting along a branch/log from left to right, the left foot takes the first step after the cut backwards and directly behind the right foot. Pivot off left foot and move right foot parallel to wood towards the next cut. Bar never drops more than a couple of inches below the bottom of the cut. Optional: lift and rest bar on top of wood to stop chain and help maintain balance while moving into position for next cut.

I wear a helmet when climbing or falling,i wear my sunglasses or safety glasses,ear plugs and gloves all the time i've never owned chaps i guess in 16 years of professional tree work i've been pretty lucky.

i have always worn eye protection and gloves, about two months ago i started wearing ear protection(except when tuning) but have yet to get a set of chaps...after reading this is think i should order a set and get used to wearing them. idk if i'm gonna wear a hard hat though unless i'm falling a big one...maybe i should just order one of those too

The older style hats are alot more comfy IMO. I think it is the most valuable peice of PPE you can have when falling timber. There's more danger overhead then there is anywhere except in your hands IMO. I've taken a few limbs across the back and it don't feel good.

Theres alot of good deals on hats on Ebay. I have an orange Skullbucket I use, but there's good hats for cheap on Ebay. Labonville chaps are hard to beat.

Are the Chaps you see at Home Depot or Lowes dependable, for an occasional cutter, or should you step into something better?

If they're sold as chainsaw chaps there will be a minimum safety standard they have to meet, so yes they will be dependable. If you're running powerful saws better quality chaps would be a good idea but for an occasional cutter they would be good, spend the money you save on a decent hardhat or something

thank you for the replies. any more?

I'm crazy about hearing protection, I also have pretty good hearing too. I'm often seen with ear muffs on well after the job has been done, steel grinding, lawn mowing or chainsawing wood.
I roll with a helmet that has the muffs and mesh visor attached. ANY chainsawing and on it goes, full wrap safety glasses too.

Now here is where I get a little unconventional, No chaps.........Just jeans or good fatigues. A good boot with a steel cap for the feet, and a leather glove for the left (front) hand only.

Relying on PPE is good, avoiding and/or anticipating the saw or tool moving this way and that is better!

My way is not the best way or even a reccomended way but it is how I am.

Last edited:
I've got the CAT hydraulic boot, Stihl prof protective pants and Peltor optime 3 hearing protection. Also got a hardhat and safety glasses.

I never wear gloves, they get wet/dirty and slippy. Always have the feeling I have better control when I can hold it with my bare hands.

@ BDM53ENT, I don't know if it is done in the USA but in Europe, there are 3 classes depending on the chain speed the chaps can handle. Should be able to find it on the label in the chaps, what the speed is and what class it belongs too.

I have the Husky chaps,clip on, a husky helmet face screen and ear muffs. Used to have a Peltor helmet and I found that to be more comfotable.

Steel toed boots. Check!
Denim jeans. Check!
Cotton T-Shirt. Check!

Ready to cut! Of course, I'm just a casual cutter, and typically slug around the yard with my low powered chainsaw, handling mostly limbs and some small timber here and there. I know many others here are employed in this field, and of course production factors and dangerous removals are the norm. I however, just keep it casual and literally like to stop and smell the fumes:msp_laugh:

However, you know what I find even more dangerous? Running the line trimmer in the grass. Countless times my eyes and face have been pelted with debris. For the line trimmer, I may start to wear safety glasses.

I'm a casual cutter and will skip the chaps in certain safe circumstances.

The full zip on stihl are thinner than the Labonville with straps but I do wear them with only shorts under. The labonvilles would need jeans due to open leg at rear in the scrub.

And the face screen helmet will get a workout from doing the eges too as I've had a few rock hits at the face off the 25cc Honda.

The mesh screen was great over the weekend when the 576at was buried bucking a 22" log and chips were blowing 10m.....

Labonville chaps aren't that expensive, $61-83 for the regular weight non-wrap chaps depending on length, how much do you save buying chaps at Home Depot?

Labonville Competition Extreme chaps will run you $100+ if you want to really make it hard to cut yourself with a strong saw. I probably went a little overboard in buying those when I scared myself and bought chaps, but at the time they were about the same price as the regular weight full wrap chaps.

I bought some PPE this year cause i started running saws a bit more. A pair of pants and the huskys full face helmet. I also wear steel toed shoes.

Didn't have any injuries yet and i hope i don't get any either, but better safe than sorry.

PPE is cheap compared to a doctors bill, let alone emergency or operation.

Well how's a guy supposed to get anything done?

Apply the chain brake when walking, particularly around brush and steep terrain.

I have started wearing a helmet W/face shield and ear muffs. Actually is quite comfortable and keeps brush from poking you in the face.

I also bought full wrap chaps and a set of chainsaw pants after a close call where I cut the fabric of my Carhart bibs and got only a scratch with no blood. Real dumb move when I cut a spring pole and I knew what it would do. It still knocked the saw out of my hands.:redface:

Latest posts

Back