Safety Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apply the chain brake when walking, particularly around brush and steep terrain.

I have started wearing a helmet W/face shield and ear muffs. Actually is quite comfortable and keeps brush from poking you in the face.

I also bought full wrap chaps and a set of chainsaw pants after a close call where I cut the fabric of my Carhart bibs and got only a scratch with no blood. Real dumb move when I cut a spring pole and I knew what it would do. It still knocked the saw out of my hands.:redface:

Watch out for the spring poles that you don't see ! :dizzy:

PPE is cheap compared to a doctors bill, let alone emergency or operation.

What is this doctors bill you speak of? And emergency or operation bill? What is this foreign concept you speak of?

Just had to do it:msp_biggrin:

Much love to all from Canada...

Don't worry, 7sleeper won't have to pay the bill personally for his injury either in Austria AFAIK.

Neither will I if a chainsaw bites me. But we could have problems with insurance if we aren't wearing any PPE and don't have any training.

Still, you don't want to be in the woods with a crushed skull or a cut up leg, even if you're collecting insurance money at the end of the week instead of buying new pants...

I'm crazy about hearing protection, I also have pretty good hearing too. I'm often seen with ear muffs on well after the job has been done, steel grinding, lawn mowing or chainsawing wood.
I roll with a helmet that has the muffs and mesh visor attached. ANY chainsawing and on it goes, full wrap safety glasses too.

Now here is where I get a little unconventional, No chaps.........Just jeans or good fatigues. A good boot with a steel cap for the feet, and a leather glove for the left (front) hand only.

Relying on PPE is good, avoiding and/or anticipating the saw or tool moving this way and that is better!

My way is not the best way or even a reccomended way but it is how I am.

Good luck with anticipating/avoiding the chain. That works real well right up until when it doesn't, then it gets hurty

If they're sold as chainsaw chaps there will be a minimum safety standard they have to meet, so yes they will be dependable. If you're running powerful saws better quality chaps would be a good idea but for an occasional cutter they would be good, spend the money you save on a decent hardhat or something

Hardhat corks and gloves along with some ear plugs. The rest is overkill..

Gddvik2012_016_FotoCLindgren.jpg

I wear this.

Hardhat corks and gloves along with some ear plugs. The rest is overkill..

So you actually go to work every day not wearing chaps? Good for you man, that’s more risk than I'd take if running a saw was my primary income.

Also, I've never understood the fascination with wearing gloves - it seems like a very American thing to do. I wear them when rolling up barbed wire and welding (usually) but see them more as a comfort thing than protection, especially around chainsaws.

So you actually go to work every day not wearing chaps? Good for you man, that’s more risk than I'd take if running a saw was my primary income.

Also, I've never understood the fascination with wearing gloves - it seems like a very American thing to do. I wear them when rolling up barbed wire and welding (usually) but see them more as a comfort thing than protection, especially around chainsaws.

Gloves offer some protection;)

I've gone to work everyday for 16 years without chaps,i always wear gloves not for chain saw protection i wear them because it beats picking slivers out of your hands and have you ever climbed a rope without gloves? Rope burn across the palm is no fun and if you don't need gloves you aren't working hard enough because i know what a new pair of gloves looks like at the end of the day so i can imagine what my skin would look like.

Also, I've never understood the fascination with wearing gloves - it seems like a very American thing to do.

Nice, thanks for the american blast. Whatever
Gloves, running saw no, mucking brush sure

I wear gloves when it's cold while running a saw. Wear them all of the time while building fence. Tying wire together and tying corners off, etc. is rough on the hands, even with gloves.

No, I wear them, inserts that is. I just don't care for them that's all..

The chaps will absolutely cook you in the summertime. Are inserts better for beating the heat? I've never tried them.

Easy fix - Shorts and chaps. Or trackpants and chaps. I can't stand wearing jeans in hot weather

Who makes/sells inserts? never even heard of them before I found AS

Easy fix - Shorts and chaps. Or trackpants and chaps. I can't stand wearing jeans in hot weather

Who makes/sells inserts? never even heard of them before I found AS

Only bad part about shorts is that the time I'm not cutting, I'm hanging fencewire. Hence the need for the gloves. :D ;)

I have tried the shorts in the Summer, but the briars and brambles, plus all of the wire we deal with, makes for a bad day with shorts. I usually just wear thin canvas pants and they help alot.

Only bad part about shorts is that the time I'm not cutting, I'm hanging fencewire. Hence the need for the gloves. :D ;)

I have tried the shorts in the Summer, but the briars and brambles, plus all of the wire we deal with, makes for a bad day with shorts. I usually just wear thin canvas pants and they help alot.

I've been fencing since I was 15 (kept me busy during school holidays and paid for beer at uni), usually in shorts in the summer. I always found the most cut up part of me at the end of the week is my forearms, especially when working with high tensile wire (12.5ga). You don't even notice when that stuff brushes across you but if the end touches your skin you bleed

Latest posts

Back