saw choices and prices.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsteel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, first off I am not trying to start a flame war, I have read some of the past threads and seen how they went. I just wanted some feedback is all.

I am looking at getting a new saw to replace the 290, if I can fix the stalling problem I have a guy who wants it.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Stihl 440 and the Husky 372XP. Ok here is where I want the feedback.

Most of the Stihl dealers around here say a 440 saw with half wrap and 24 inch bar is $700. Is this reasonable? There was one dealer who said 639 but when one of the other deales said they were all the same and I said one was at 639 he about choked on his coffee. This one dealer really lowballing the price or he just miss look up something?

What is the normal price for dealer Husky saws? The dealers I see (not counting internet) are at 690 for a 372xp with half wrap and 24 inch bar. I don't mind supporting local for a bit more, but wow, that seems huge variation between what I can get it on the internet.

As for which one to pick it more boils down to price for me as I have about the same number that say one or the other. For example I went to school with a guy who owns a logging company, he won't buy stihl because they keep burning them out, they just don't last, but the Husky saws seem to last forever. I know people who say the opposite also. I can't say that my local dealers have really impressed me either so not really a dealer driven choice either. The guy who did say $639 on the saw seems a really back woods logger, and he really seems to know his saws but have not talked to him much. (I can deal with the back woods guy more than the Stihl dealers who are yuppies trying to sell trimmers and have a 440 because they are required to.) I know local can't give me the prices that the warehouses can, but I like the kind of place I can go in, bs with the guy a bit, buy the stuff I need and maybe walk away with some advice. I would spend a little more for that. The dealers around here are so much not like that though.

I am very mechanical inclinded so taking my saw to get fixed at the dealer is not uber important to me. I just need parts.

How is getting part on Husky saws? I hear that they are a little harder to get than Stihl, any personal opions?

Anything I might have missed? general observations?

I can pick up a MS440 w/20'' bar for $600 OTD a MS460 W/20'' bar for $650 OTD and a 372xp w/20'' bar for $659 OTD. So is $700 high???? Sounds like it to me but then I don't know what prices are in your area either, cost of living could be more than where I live. As for which saw to go with??? First PICK A GOOD DEALER!!!! Can't stress that one enough because evintually your going to need parts and service and you don't want an idiot working on your stuff! As far as the saw goes all else being equall I have mostly Stihl saws and equipment I have one husky ( a 346xp) I've had some problems with but have straightned them out ( I think I got a lemon) so I would go with whitch one feels best to you.

Forgot to ask what you will be using the saw for??? You may not NEED a saw that big;)

<p>Bailey's has the 372 on sale right now for cheap. Their latest sale catalog listed the powerhead only @ $500.00. You could add a 24" bar and chain ( Carlton brand ) for $50.00 with shipping. Ryan, is that a dealer near you offering good prices on 440s and 460s? I can get a 440 with a half wrap handle and a 28" bar for $660.00, but $600.00 is a steal.<p/>

JJ, that dealer IS near me..... Only four miles from my house!!!:D And the best part???? His main line??? Saws!!! So of course he keeps plenty of parts and knows his way around them VERY well;) His pricing on Huskys would be better but as they don't sell anywhere near as meany huskys as Stihls they just can't get the price break they need to lower their prices and make a living:rolleyes: Their markup on huskys is 15%.

I went to the local Husky dealer a while back. He had a tag on a 372 that said $759. I told him that I would like to buy from him, but can't justify it when I can get it off the internet for $569. I asked if he would come down to $600. He went and checked his price and came back and agreed.
I suggest you give him the option of lowering his price. Probably won't happen with Stihl dealer.

Love all of the feeback so far. I will use the saw for cutting firewook and blocking it. around 10 to 15 cords a year roughly, then the occasional tree removed from yards of people I know. The reason I was looking at the 440/372 was that I am tired of saws that just don't live up to the name. I have a ms290 now and its kind of been a headache. I want a pro saw and just be done with it.

I know the 026 has a good rep, but I think it might be a little weak for pulling a 24 inch bar. I am not sure of the 270 and 280, they sound more like the farm boss type. the 360 I don't hear much about.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 372, but not to much on the 357XP.

I just got the parts for the 290 to hopfully fix the stalling problem. I can't say the dealers around here impress me though. While I will pay more to have a good dealer, I won't get raped just to keep him in buisness, I work to hard for my money. Now I just need to find a good dealer. :)

I reallllly like my 372! I too cut fire wood and some small end milling. If you do get one, I highly suggest that you open up the muffler after you have run it a while.

I've had two 036's (MS360's) and still have one of them, VERY good saw. They are dependable and have plenty of power for most cutting. Unless you are going to be cutting hardwood 20'' or more diameter on a regular basis I would go with the MS360 or husky 357xp:angel:

Hi vsteel, the ms360 and 357 are great saws as Ryan pointed out. I prefer the 357. I wouldn`t call either one a stellar performer with a 24" bar though. If you are planning on needing the 24"er most of the time go for the 372, or 440, depending on where you buy it I suppose. I could get you a good price on a 460 but shipping adds up, especially with a 24" or longer bar.

Since budget doesn`t seem to be a severely limiting factor you could get a 357 from Dozer Dan and it would easily pull a 24" bar in a lighter package than the 372/440 for not too much more money.

Russ

Just a little more info. I would probably be using the entire 24 inches of the bar maybe 10% of my cuts. The trees I will be in are pine, I won't be cutting any hard wood.

I just want a saw that I can block an entire tree with (say 50 cuts, and not worry about overworking it.) I don't need the biggest or coolest saw, just one I can run and not have to worry about. With the input so far I am leaning 360 or 357XP. hmm, choices choices.

The 372 is a nice well balanced saw. It will definitley pull a 24 and it doesn't get too heavy. I found the 357 to be a little nose heavy with a 20 on it but maybe that's just me.

I've run a 28'' on my 036, ya it cuts a little slower but not terrible in pine so a 24'' with a sharp chisel chain shouldn't be ANY problem:angel: It will be a little nose heavy but other than that I see no reason not to go with a 360 in pine. I can't comment on a 357 because I have never ran one:rolleyes: As for nose heavy my MS460 is nose heavy when I run a 28'' on it and the 066G is starting to get nose heavy at that point. What I am saying is, nose weight isn't everything (at least to me) now having said that I generally use the shortest bar possible and PRACTICAL!!! Sorry for rambling;)

I stopped by a dealer about 55 miles from me today. Just for curiousity I had him price a 44, 46, and 66 for me with 20" bars. The 044 ran $629 or $639, the 046 was $679, and the 066 was $849. These prices were before price wiggle and tax avoidance so I cannot say what the OTD price would be. He does not know me so he is not trying to shoot me a deal. These are just his honest prices. From what I have seen locally I may be making the 110 mile trip to make my purchases.

I was in southern Wisconsin a few weeks ago and found a small Stihl dealer that was down a dead end gravel road and basically was selling out of an old shack. He priced me an 066 that was lower than I thought I could find anywhere else. If I had the cash with me instead of my wife he would have made a sale.

I had planned on making the trip up to Kunz Woodworking but it was too far north. Is that you Z4lunch ?

Bill

I'm working near Monroe for a bit and the farm equipment dealer here has pretty good prices on their Stihl saws.&nbsp; For the Stihl chain they do a buy one get another half price, and even better, buy two at full price and get a third free.

They seem to have a different price list than the guy down the road from me back home...

Glen

Bill, What town was that dealer by? I'm 25 miles from Monroe WI and wouldn't mind checking the guy out.

Sap

The Jonsered version of the 372 brings $669 here with 24 ". I would not put a 24" bar on anything less than a 70cc class saw. I know there are those that would tell you you could put it on a 50cc saw but there is a big difference between what is possible and what is practical.

Tony,
It is common to see 32” bars on 372’s around here. My neighbor (faller), runs his saw that way most of the time as did the logger I bought mine from. Maybe it is because they cut all soft wood. The guy I bought mine from said he likes it for the extended reach. I found it to be overkill and very front end heavy. My arms don’t do enough hard work to run the 32 for very long before they have to take a rest, so I put a 20” bar on.

i have found that the 440 stihl and the husky 372 like the 20" bars the best. i set both up with 3/8x50x72. most times for felling i use full skip. and always full chisel. 372 does most of the work.
the 357 husky seems to like the 18" set up(also 3/8, 50 gauge).
the bigger saws like the 288 husky and 066 stihl get the 24" and the sachs 153 has 38".
smaller saws like the 026 stihl stays with 16" but .325. and the 023 for the most part 14" 3/8 low pro.
for testing saws i try many combinations. for work each saw has their own job and the power head/bar and chain combos fit the job. marty

Latest posts

Back