Saw Helmet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wearing the KASK plasma for several years. Can interchange the visors if/when needed to the mesh face guard. Fits great, nice and lightweight. I upgraded the ear muffs from the standard ones it comes with. I've had the connector pieces break off on the muffs though, probably too much moving around during cold temps. Plastics don't like negative temps apparently, ha. I've debated on upgrading the helmet to a Pfanner protos as they are super comfortable, cover more area and have some pretty slick features. I don't like the full face guard though as I see it fogging up easily in cold temps

I like my STIHL it fits my head good and is very comfortable
fa77893a4a9ea9eca9067a46fc3c519c.jpg

OK thanks guys, good to hear. I got to try on the Stihl helmet at Rural King, they had it for $74.99... it was comfortable, and I could see through the mesh shield better than I expected. Left it on the shelf though, since I'm a Husky guy ;)

Was looking at the Husky "Functional" and "Technical" models online, wondering if the Technical is worth twice the price? Also, looking at the Oregon Pro Forestry Helmet. Since this is my first helmet, will probably go with the Functional, or the Oregon.

There's also a bunch of no-names on the big river for half the price of the name brands, but don't know about the quality on them..

OK thanks guys, good to hear. I got to try on the Stihl helmet at Rural King, they had it for $74.99... it was comfortable, and I could see through the mesh shield better than I expected. Left it on the shelf though, since I'm a Husky guy ;)

Was looking at the Husky "Functional" and "Technical" models online, wondering if the Technical is worth twice the price? Also, looking at the Oregon Pro Forestry Helmet. Since this is my first helmet, will probably go with the Functional, or the Oregon.

There's also a bunch of no-names on the big river for half the price of the name brands, but don't know about the quality on them..

At the end of the day, some of those no namers are much the same as the brand named ones and you are paying the extra for the sticker (like MAGNUM on those funny orange & grey saws).
Real expensive are usually top of the line for professional users and have nicer bits and pieces like concealed muff mounts, muffs that fit inside the helmet etc.
But for a casual user- you are buying something that will deflect chips away from eyes/face and save your ears some grief- the helmet might deflect some falling debris or a renegade pine cone- but is not going to stop a kickback cut or a whole tree falling on it....... or a 1 tonne truck driving over it (been there- done that).
Look for good easily replaceable bits like sweat bands- grade 5 muffs with positive click positions and swing away arms, comfortable harness and a mesh visor that retains its shape.
If it has a sticker on the front is irrelevant- but can cost a lot extra!

LOL, Yeah, the name on the front doesn't mean much I don't think. I doubt that Husky or Stihl makes any of the PPE with their names on it. Just figured I'd do some shopping first before I plopped down 75 bucks for the Stihl helmet without looking at any others. But the good thing was I got some "hands on" with it... which meant a lot, allowed me to decide to buy one.

Personally, I don’t like the Technical as much as the Functional. The helmet part is a little different but I don’t think it’s worth double the price.

Does anyone make on with a full brim, faceshield, and integral ear muffs? I shave my head with a razor and the back of my head cooks in the Oklahoma summer sun without a full brim hardhat...

I wear a full brim hardhat at work and when I'm running a saw but would like to have a mesh faceshield.

Does anyone make on with a full brim, faceshield, and integral ear muffs? I shave my head with a razor and the back of my head cooks in the Oklahoma summer sun without a full brim hardhat...

I wear a full brim hardhat at work and when I'm running a saw but would like to have a mesh faceshield.

You can get a face shield that will fit a full brim a good place to start would be Madsens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a standard helmet with a neck apron- stops the sun and stops sawdust and woodchips falling down the back of your shirt. ;)

1609796759819.png

Buy a standard helmet with a neck apron- stops the sun and stops sawdust and woodchips falling down the back of your shirt. ;)

View attachment 880204

Those are great till you work in the PNW where you want the rain running off your brim and not having to worry about the tail of the hard hat getting caught in the brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSA makes a wide range of helmets and accessories, including what you are asking for. Available from industrial and safety supplies like Grainger, etc.

MSA1.jpg marks ver 026.jpg

Philbert

Decided to get a saw helmet, with the mesh face shield and ears...
Was looking at the Husky "Functional" and "Technical" models online, wondering if the Technical is worth twice the price
The best helmet is one that you will wear. I wore the 'hard hat style' (STIHL, Husqvarna, MSA) for many years (and still do): simple, less expensive, easy to put on and take off. I had the opportunity to try a 'climber style' / brimless helmet and really like it: holds very secure, especially when working around lots of branches, etc., even on the ground. I tried the MSA brand, but other brands would offer similar advantages.

I like a ratchet suspension on either style, even though I am the only user. Somedays, I want to snug it up (windy) and other days I want to loosen it up a notch (bad hair day).

Buying a name brand helmet increases the likelihood that repair parts will be easier to find. Face screens, suspensions, ear muffs, etc. can get damaged, and it is better to replace parts then having to buy an entire new helmet system.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/msa-h1-arborists-helmet.343196/
Philbert

Back