Seized up stihl ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next, the carb has 2 nipples, the hose on the right wont move, so you will have to pull the carb back off of it, it will be snug, that is the impulse line. The other hose is the fuel line, look at it closely for cracks after taking the carb off.

Thanks guys. I figured the trigger rod had to be pulled off of the plastic fitting but like I said I worry about breaking stuff. I'll do that and get back to you guys.

If you guys had to guess would you say the piston and cylinder will be beyond repair? I know there's no way to no for sure without me breaking her down. And what could he realistically get for a saw that has a scored piston?

Actually it is a good ending. My guess would be a starter cog caught and stalled it.

No dirty air filter caused a lean condition leading to overheating leading to a seize with a blown piston, rings and jug requiring a new long block engine replacement problem.

Aggreed! ^^^^

Everyone can run their mouths about this problem and that, with this series saw. I have rebuilt over 200 of the 029-390 series now. There was plenty of bad guesses up front and I just want to tell ya'll to quit guessing about a problem you haven't diagnosed! You should share things like...

Pull the starter to check for any binding or ignition contacting flywheel. And check to see if everything moves once removed. If not, Move to clutch side and check for anything binding there, then pull cylinder as last resort. To many "guess-a-nossis's" around here without solid advice on how to trouble shoot the problem.

This series lean seizes, Yes but that is due to a combination of things... Lean set carb, no air baffle behind muffler to direct air over cylinder for cooling, restrictive mufflers, people letting them idle to long when set lean, bad gas/mix, and of course a fuel line popping a hole causing it to suck air and lean seize. Fix these problems and this series saw will provide many years of trusty service.

Seems like something let loose inside to me. Had the the exact issues after putting a new piston in a Dolmar 120si. Piston circlip came out. Quit running and locked up, pulled muffler and everything looked fine...intake not so much. That little SOB really did some damage.

Aggreed! ^^^^

Everyone can run their mouths about this problem and that, with this series saw. I have rebuilt over 200 of the 029-390 series now. There was plenty of bad guesses up front and I just want to tell ya'll to quit guessing about a problem you haven't diagnosed! You should share things like...

Pull the starter to check for any binding or ignition contacting flywheel. And check to see if everything moves once removed. If not, Move to clutch side and check for anything binding there, then pull cylinder as last resort. To many "guess-a-nossis's" around here without solid advice on how to trouble shoot the problem.

This series lean seizes, Yes but that is due to a combination of things... Lean set carb, no air baffle behind muffler to direct air over cylinder for cooling, restrictive mufflers, people letting them idle to long when set lean, bad gas/mix, and of course a fuel line popping a hole causing it to suck air and lean seize. Fix these problems and this series saw will provide many years of trusty service.

His latest questions were about how to remove the carb so he can explore/diagnose the problem.

gpx433 nailed it. Moving flywheel broke the piston loose.

Saw probably running very lean and seized.
You are getting some good STIHL experience working on your friends saw instead of yours. If he don't stop you take it all apart and see how it made then let him put it back together.
Only thing better would be if it were your Bro in laws saw.
I always liked getting experience on other peoples equipment also.

That nut holding the flywheel wasn't too tight, and wasn't the reason it was hard to turn over. When he was cranking on the nut he probably jarred the piston loose in the cylinder. There's still something else wrong and I wouldn't run the saw til you figure it out.

Stop. Take the saw to a competent shop and have it properly diagnosed and repaired.
Well isn't it going to cost basically what the saws worth to get it fixed? Just in labor it's going to be at least 100 bucks. I'm realizing pretty fast why I buy pro saws.

Well isn't it going to cost basically what the saws worth to get it fixed? Just in labor it's going to be at least 100 bucks. I'm realizing pretty fast why I buy pro saws.
Whether or not to take the saw to a competent shop is your buddy's call. If you haven't done this kind of work before, you could be doing more harm than good.

Yeah but the way I see it he's going to take it to a shop, that isn't cheap, and end up paying what he payed for the saw originally. He'll end up putting as much as a newer 261 is when it's all said and done.

How much is a very clean 290 with the above issues worth as is? And for what it's worth we would be doing it together it's not like I'm gonna ruin his saw in my own lol.

I'm not offended but I'm assuming everyone had to start somewhere. Seems to be a good opportunity to learn considering it's a farm saw that's probably worth no more than 150 bucks as is.

Yeah but the way I see it he's going to take it to a shop, that isn't cheap, and end up paying what he payed for the saw originally. He'll end up putting as much as a newer 261 is when it's all said and done.

How much is a very clean 290 with the above issues worth as is? And for what it's worth we would be doing it together it's not like I'm gonna ruin his saw in my own lol.
They can decide what to do after it's been properly diagnosed.

...I'm assuming everyone had to start somewhere. Seems to be a good opportunity to learn considering it's a farm saw that's probably worth no more than 150 bucks as is.
If it's your own saw, that's one thing, but digging into someone else's equipment when you don't have the training is a bad idea. Also, the shop will expect compensation for diagnosing the problem if disassembly is required.

Ok so I just spoke to him. He had a friend of a friend who apparently works on saws take a look. He put fresh gas in it, ran it, and gave it a tune. He seems to think its fine because he ran it in wood.

Still makes no sense for the abrupt shutdown and locked up starter cord. He's considering taking it to a stihl dealer in collegeville PA just to have a look over. It's a mystery.

Back