Set a 200 year old oak on my 462cm.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonniehendren13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So yeah destroyed a 462 cm due to my own negligence but was able to replace it with a non m tronic 462, has anyone changed from non cm to m tronic? I’ve seen the other way around done but not anyone adding the evil m tronic carb lol also if anyone needs parts for one of these I’ve got a few left that are salvageable. Thanks

Yeah, saws are magnets for falling trees. I've had so many close encounters that I am long overdue for such an accident. Worst for me, so far is a tree grazed my gear bag enough to destroy most of what was inside.
So yeah destroyed a 462 cm due to my own negligence but was able to replace it with a non m tronic 462, has anyone changed from non cm to m tronic? I’ve seen the other way around done but not anyone adding the evil m tronic carb lol also if anyone needs parts for one of these I’ve got a few left that are salvageable. Thanks
Ouch. Haven't done that yet, but I did run over my 036 Pro with the tractor once. Luckily all that I broke on it was the handle and the chain stop bar. Stings a bit when a moments distraction costs us time and money. :(

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

We want to see the carnage!!!

Alright I can post some pictures as painful as it is I guess lol glad to hear I’m not the only one being an idiot from time to time.

Attachments

• 095E75AE-7BB2-456C-999F-A742924BCA81.jpeg
    095E75AE-7BB2-456C-999F-A742924BCA81.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 2C065B25-65A5-403A-8243-8DE6789F1A97.jpeg
    2C065B25-65A5-403A-8243-8DE6789F1A97.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 6FC33E17-2242-40BD-890C-7F0A78F31AF5.jpeg
    6FC33E17-2242-40BD-890C-7F0A78F31AF5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • BC38045F-1175-479A-9AA8-C050F88438B4.jpeg
    BC38045F-1175-479A-9AA8-C050F88438B4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 04CCA276-DE91-408B-B0EA-181B75F90987.jpeg
    04CCA276-DE91-408B-B0EA-181B75F90987.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
“Yeah, saws are magnets for falling trees. I've had so many close encounters that I am long overdue for such an accident. Worst for me, so far is a tree grazed my gear bag enough to destroy most of what was inside.”
Lol exactly magnets that are super spendy. Even your gear tho that’s way worse thanks for making me feel better on that, I just had to just walk away from it for awhile. Mostly to get a big enough pry bar to get my carcass of a saw free from the tree. Oh well they don’t call it an extreme sport for nothing I guess haha

Alright I can post some pictures as painful as it is I guess lol glad to hear I’m not the only one being an idiot from time to time.
Wow that's terrible. How'd it happen?
I've seen guys keep the dogs dug in whilst finishing their back cut and when the hinge closes the saw goes flipping forward. Did it once myself years ago.

glad to hear I’m not the only one being an idiot from time to time.
I see I'm the only one who liked this post:laughing:.
I rolled a log of the back side of the log pile when it was down to just a few logs.
When it went I remember thinking, bummer I'm gonna have to get it from the other side now, then I saw the saw :cry:. Luckily it just ben the top handle a bit and tweaked the brake forward over the muffler cover. I was able to push the brake back and it just has a little break/tear in it, but I still need a handle although it's no less ergonomic than the earlier stihls :laugh:.

I had a neighbor moving his truck, so I took the precaution of hiding my saw behind a very big log. Well he hit the log hard enough that it moved and rolled on top of my ms461. I felt sick to my stomach, but luckily it was tweaked and after getting the saw out from being pinned, it recovered just fine.

Since then I have had the same neighbor run over his own saw, and crush and destroy it. :(

It happens...

No worries! That’ll buff right out.

Seriously…that sux big-time. I’ve had bars bent, broken plastic and a close call that almost killed my son-in-law — but damn! That is ugly. Sorry for your loss. Perhaps this is a “sign” that you need to migrate to Husqvarna, as the trees try to miss those…

JQ

For me it is always dead trees falling on their own and hitting stuff.
Like the one that missed a big maple and hit my log splitter sitting behind it.

Really flattened that poor saw, sorry to see it, but means it's time to buy another one!

*Knocks on wood* Luckily, I haven't smashed a saw under anything. I try to make sure that my dogs aren't set once the kerf starts to open up.

My big oopsie involved one of my climbing saws. I lowered my 192t down to get topped off with fuel/oil when I was climbing a cedar...once I raised the saw back up, a series of unfortunate events transpired. I somehow had neglected to clip the end of the saw lanyard on and when I went to hook the lanyard ring on the hook on my climbing saddle, I missed.

The saw went straight down, probably about 70'...not too much damage(deep loamy soil underneath the tree,) just some cracked plastic. I actually raised it back up and finished the removal. I learned my lesson to be more cognizant in the tree and to confirm that my hardware is secured anytime I manipulate it.

I’m still fortunate enough that it hasn’t happened to me yet. The grapple is always looking for a saw to destroy though, so I have to be really careful about where I sit it down. Around the grapple I’m usually running a 395 so I end up carrying it around a lot, afraid to set it down.

Back