Sharp Chain Vs. Dull Chain...Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was outside playing with dogs and found two very different piles of saw dust. Figured I'd take photos to show difference between sharp chain shavings and dull chain dust.

Left hand=sharp
Right hand=dull
Pretty cool what you can read out of a pile of saw dust without even seeing the chains. Guy on the right is not enjoying h is cutting time at all, guy on the left is happy he's not the guy on the right as his saw is cutting good but has some fine tuning left in his chain as well as he's got the full range of chips from small to noodles. Micro tune cutters to same length, then give it to the rakers, then go make some cookies!!

Awesome, good to know these things. FYI, the pile in the left hand came from a new Oregon LGX chain with maybe 10 cuts into it. The pile in the right hand came from the same chain as it got into about 25-30 cuts.

I have found the last 6 months to a year, that most Oregon chain needs cleaned up (gullets need cleaned out) and sharpened right out of the box.

I have learned that sharp and dull are relative. Just for reference.

The chain that made these chips was called dull.... because the cutters has some grime on them in the pic.

i-k2nRfbG-M.jpg

i-VdwCCXn-M.jpg

i-TkSxNP6-M.jpg

I have learned that sharp and dull are relative. Just for reference.

The chain that made these chips was called dull.... because the cutters has some grime on them in the pic.

i-k2nRfbG-M.jpg

i-VdwCCXn-M.jpg

i-TkSxNP6-M.jpg
This wood noodle crime scene investigation can be fun!
What I see here is one or two dull gullets on a very sharp chain.

Most people could gain 10-20% more usable power from their saw if they would learn to sharpen a chain correctly and take the time to do it properly.

Most people could gain 10-20% more usable power from their saw if they would learn to sharpen a chain correctly and take the time to do it properly.

A saw is only as good as it's chain!

The pic above is from a fairly fresh loop of RS, touched up with a file and sticky sharp. The kind of sharp that digs into your thumb when checking the edge. I was running it in soft maple that day with the ported 346/350...lots of fun.

My crime scenes will most likely be deemed "cause of death, blunt force trauma"! :rolleyes:

1. case, I had cut some oak log "butts" with my PS-7900:
DSC00197.JPG DSC00201.JPG DSC00202.JPG

2. case, bucked and noodled a oak log with my PS-7900 (with the chain visible in the picture):
DSC00289.JPG

3. case, noodled some dry pear with my PS-6400 (with the chain visible in the pictures):
DSC01971.JPG DSC01972.JPG DSC01973.JPG DSC01974.JPG

:D

I must admit that these Dolmar/Oregon chisel chains are quite durable, I was impressed myself the chain looked like that after the incident.
Also, the teeth don't break or bend unless they're filed back way past the witness mark.

I like me some Oregon chisel chains. :)

Here is a noodle nest off a 5105 wearing a 24" bar, w Oregon 72CK sharpened w a round file. Red elm that was cut green, two years ago.IMG_20160126_091657.jpg I've got a picture of a 7" noodle out of there but it won't load.

Latest posts

Back