Sharpening chain and efficiency?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been practising free hand sharpening for the last 6-8 months and feel very comfortable with where I am and the results I get.

I’m curious though, how long does it take you to freehand file / re profile the teeth on a 20” bar? Not from completly rocked or damaged, just to adjust the hook profile and bring the edge back to sharp?

I know it’s not a race, but I’m curious to how efficient / inefficient I am compared to others. I have found the point of diminishing returns to occur very quickly for firewood cutting

Anyway, working at a somewhat fast pace it took me 22 minutes. I guess that’s what… 18-20 seconds a tooth to tweak the profile of the hook and give it a sharpen.

Though I have spent over an hour fixing a badly rocked chain and used a file up…

I use the 2 in 1 files on my chains. For an average sharpening, like you said, no real damage to file through, I'd guess 7-10 minutes, with two to three passes per tooth. That's just a guess though, I've never timed myself.

I use the 2 in 1 files on my chains. For an average sharpening, like you said, no real damage to file through, I'd guess 7-10 minutes, with two to three passes per tooth. That's just a guess though, I've never timed myself.
Interesting, I have never had any luck with the 2 in 1. Never got the shape or hook needed. Do you find you get good results? Do you have a side pic of the tooth?

Just touched one up, was sharp... put about a tank & a half through the saw (036) cutting macrocarpa & gum. 3-4 strokes per cutter, took about 10 mins. Didn't touch rakers (did them last time) but I'd say that'd add another 5-10 minutes depending on chain type (ie, safety bumpers?) & How much they need dropping.
If I have a rocked/damaged chain it goes on the grinder... & even then they can soak up a fair amount of time

I spent a few years hand sharpening and got pretty good. Could resharpen a chain in the forest in around 20 mins like you.
Then i discovered the file 'n' joint. Now i get all the control and flexibility and elegance of hand sharpening and the consistency of a grinder. The bonus is that once you get the hang of it it's much faster than hand sharpening.
Tom.

mine are done in situ and freehand with a grinder, with the customer watching over my shoulder usually
average 3 mins at a guess
if i was to take 20 mins and/or charge much more than a fiver, they would just buy a new chain tbh
IMHO it's hard to justify taking the time to sharpen a chain properly at shop rates... especially given the average person that'll bring one in to be sharpened will have used it to the point they can no longer force it to cut...

the average person that'll bring one in to be sharpened will have used it to the point they can no longer force it to cut...
1 local contractor cuts 6" garden tree,s flush at ground level with a stihl polesaw
i have to take his rakers down to zero, and can only get about 2 grinds out of the chain

No idea how long it takes (I normally use a 20" bar) but 20 minutes sounds long. If I had to guess, I'd guess 10 min or so, using a file freehand.

ETA: Wait, doesn't a 20" chain have 72 DL and 72 teeth? If so, 10 minutes means I'm only spending about 8 sec on each tooth, which is way off. Maybe I spend 20 minutes, after all.

Whatever it takes, is what it takes. It's not like running the saw with a dull chain is an option. Kinda like complaining about the price of gas or food.

ETA: Wait, doesn't a 20" chain have 72 DL and 72 teeth? If so, 10 minutes means I'm only spending about 8 sec on each tooth, which is way off. Maybe I spend 20 minutes, after all.

Time flies when you’re having fun! :laugh: I was surprised to see it took me 10 mins to do one side, it felt like no more than 5 mins.

Are you using a round file or a square file?
It takes me about 45 min to sharpen a 28" full comp chain and about 30 min to sharpen a 28" Semi-Skip chain with a square file.
A 36" Semi-Skip chain takes about 1hr 20 min square filing.
I use a grinder to round ground my .325 and 3/8Lp, 20" and 16" avg about 10 min.

Full compliment is normal 1 cutter per 2 drive links. 18 right and 18 left cutters to a 72 dl loop.

I doubt it takes 5 minutes with the saw and bar clamped upside down in a vice. An unused bar in the vice holds the drive links better.

Here is a better visual.

Attachments

• Full comp Chain Side.jpg
    Full comp Chain Side.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
  • Full Comp chain top.jpg
    Full Comp chain top.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Semi-Skip chain side.jpg
    Semi-Skip chain side.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Semi-Skip chain top.jpg
    Semi-Skip chain top.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
5 to 7 minutes on a 20" chain
a little longer on the 24" or my usual 28" stuff. arms actually get worn down on the long ones.

Gradually getting a reputation for doing a decent job of sharpening up here.

That 20" chain would pay me $9 to sharpen it correctly. 25 cents per cutter. but this is using the USG grinder, setting the rakers, etc. Most importantly paying attention to get it right!
I tell them that learning how to hand file a chain is worth it, even if not perfect, just get it cutting again.

Hi guys,
I have been practising free hand sharpening for the last 6-8 months and feel very comfortable with where I am and the results I get.

I’m curious though, how long does it take you to freehand file / re profile the teeth on a 20” bar? Not from completly rocked or damaged, just to adjust the hook profile and bring the edge back to sharp?

I know it’s not a race, but I’m curious to how efficient / inefficient I am compared to others. I have found the point of diminishing returns to occur very quickly for firewood cutting

Anyway, working at a somewhat fast pace it took me 22 minutes. I guess that’s what… 18-20 seconds a tooth to tweak the profile of the hook and give it a sharpen.

Though I have spent over an hour fixing a badly rocked chain and used a file up

Latest posts

Back