Sharpening hard wood profile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres a couple vids I did awhile ago just to show the difference in chain self feeding in softwood and hardwood here.
1st is soft Radiata could probably put the chain on backwards and it would still self feed lol 2nd vid is very hard dry Box.
The cutters skip over and don't bite into the Box very well at all its that hard but with a little persuasion (pressure) to make it cut it cut's fine yes goes totally against overseas advice for cutting softwoods. lol

Same saw/chain and cuts are minutes apart.

Some awesome videos, thanks for sharing. Hey, can you record a very short video of how you sharpen freehand as well as some pics of the tooth profile you go for in the harder woods?

I have only been freehand sharpening a couple of months and I’m interested to try / see how others do it to find the best method for me.

i like the results in getting, but I have a lot more to experiment with and in time changes too, I’m aware I’m just scratching the surface..

This is hand file on Banksia, it’s rock hard and dry, akin to Jarrah.

and this is an 056 super again dead, dry and hard, but not sure on exact species of Aussi wood

So I have grabbed the 13/64 and 7/32 files to try on my .325 chain. Ended up sticking with 7/32” and thus jumping up two file sizes.

I tried going lower and higher with the file aiming for a top plate cutting angle of around 80 degrees.

4DEDB151-37B3-45D6-A4B9-9424B4A09904.jpeg

Just so happens this one is 82 degrees. For those who are cutting aussi woods, or very hard woods in the states, can you share your initial impressions? I plan to sharpen this chain and take it along with me to give me more experience with different angles

Please ignore the depth gauges, I haven’t filed them yet, this is just for the hook shape / profile / angle

30 / 80 / 0

077D7534-DE9F-488D-A9A7-22DA2357ACF0.jpeg5A620A68-A3B2-4930-802F-C7D633611512.jpeg

Also, while I’m here, I don’t understand how, if the file is held with a 0 degree down angle, that these two angles can be different? In the video by valorb they talk about them as they are to be adjusted separately? I figured they’d both be the same angle.

5852737B-23E3-45DB-94BA-4C1073E1ABCC.jpeg676FABFD-B313-472D-AE2B-9DCE938FFAA7.jpeg

@trains just borrowed your picture and compared them. I think I’m fairly close to yours?

4DD07CBC-1DE2-49EA-B979-B83A0D554A7F.jpeg

EDIT TO UPDATE: I think it’s just clicked about the two different angles. If I’m holding the file at 0 degrees yes I’ll get the same angle across the cutter.

However, if I do a 10 degree down angle across the tooth, because the working corner will contact against file little lower down, that angle will give it less curve/ hook / more of an angle?

When compared to the inside corner of the tooth, that will contact slightly higher on the file and therefore making it more curved / hooked / less of an angle? Is this a correct assumption?

Also, while I’m here, I don’t understand how, if the file is held with a 0 degree down angle, that these two angles can be different?
Always confusing to me. Must be something inherent in the cutter geometry? Similar info in STIHL and Oregon literature.

IMG_1091.jpg
Screen shot 2021-02-06 at 7.58.31 AM.png

Philbert

Edited my post too (site is having some problems today).
Note that STIHL measures some of the side plate angles ('b') diferently, even though calling for a 60° angle, and 0° down angle, for most chains.
Oregon also defines these angles differently, (similar to Vallorbe) in the example shown (also with 0° down angle): 'top plate cutting angle', and 'side plate angle'.

'Side plate angle' also seems hard to measure without further description / definition, since it is a curved surface on round filed chains: which parts of the curve define the chord angle?

Philbert

Edited my post too (site is having some problems today).
Note that STIHL measures some of the side plate angles ('b') diferently, even though calling for a 60° angle, and 0° down angle, for most chains.
Oregon also defines these angles differently, (similar to Vallorbe) in the example shown (also with 0° down angle): 'top plate cutting angle', and 'side plate angle'.

'Side plate angle' also seems hard to measure without further description / definition, since it is a curved surface on round filed chains: which parts of the curve define the chord angle?

Philbert
Thanks mate! Right yes well found, clearly Stihl do too, even though they say to use a 0 degree down angle. I’m confused.
I thought I’d join the forum expecting rebuilding engines the hardest part of chainsaw ownership, how wrong I was, chain filing is incredibly involved if you want to get it to cut right. And I do because I’m very aware the tooth is the most important aspect on any saw for cutting performance. A sharp chain on an ms 170 will out cut a blunt chain on an ms 880.

I also know I’m going to eventually be sharpening chains to a high standard because I’m an obsessive perfectionist and I already do with wood carving tools, though it will be wasted in a few years because I’ll become sick of it - it seems to be how I am.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF7HcW6juak/?igshid=1utd1yjxgvi8t

Some thing I just noticed was that it looked like you are using chisel chain. If you are you need to throw that junk away as it has no value here. Semi is the only thing that that begins to work. The whole point is to minimize the impact of the leading corner of the cutter. On a chisel chain most of the work is done by the pointed corner of the cutter. On a semi chain the load is spread out more because it is curved. To add to that the angle is straightened out slightly and the edge a little more blunt. This is so not all the load is put on the leading corner. When this is well performed the chain will never throw out huge chunks of wood but will continue making smaller good chip for twice as long as any other. Thanks

So I have grabbed the 13/64 and 7/32 files to try on my .325 chain. Ended up sticking with 7/32” and thus jumping up two file sizes.

I tried going lower and higher with the file aiming for a top plate cutting angle of around 80 degrees.

View attachment 887852

Just so happens this one is 82 degrees. For those who are cutting aussi woods, or very hard woods in the states, can you share your initial impressions? I plan to sharpen this chain and take it along with me to give me more experience with different angles

30 / 80 / 0

View attachment 887835View attachment 887836

Also, while I’m here, I don’t understand how, if the file is held with a 0 degree down angle, that these two angles can be different? In the video by valorb they talk about them as they are to be adjusted separately? I figured they’d both be the same angle.

View attachment 887841View attachment 887840

@trains just borrowed your picture and compared them. I think I’m fairly close to yours?

View attachment 887854

EDIT TO UPDATE: I think it’s just clicked about the two different angles. If I’m holding the file at 0 degrees yes I’ll get the same angle across the cutter.

However, if I do a 10 degree down angle across the tooth, because the working corner will contact against file little lower down, that angle will give it less curve/ hook / more of an angle?

When compared to the inside corner of the tooth, that will contact slightly higher on the file and therefore making it more curved / hooked / less of an angle? Is this a correct assumption?
His rakers are much lower than yours.
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.30.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.30.00 PM.png

Some thing I just noticed was that it looked like you are using chisel chain. If you are you need to throw that junk away as it has no value here. Semi is the only thing that that begins to work. The whole point is to minimize the impact of the leading corner of the cutter. On a chisel chain most of the work is done by the pointed corner of the cutter. On a semi chain the load is spread out more because it is curved. To add to that the angle is straightened out slightly and the edge a little more blunt. This is so not all the load is put on the leading corner. When this is well performed the chain will never throw out huge chunks of wood but will continue making smaller good chip for twice as long as any other. Thanks
Hey Ted, this is semi chisel, all the chain I own, apart from one loop, is semi chisel.

Please ignore the depth gauges, I haven’t filed them yet, this is just for the hook shape / profile / angle

30 / 80 / 0

If you look closely at the earlier pictures, you can see how the 5.5mm file and husky guide gives 10 deg down angle, and the side plate angle is different to the top plate angle.
if i was to cut green gum with that chain, I would use a stihl file guide, smaller 5.2mm file, and go with 0 deg or 90 deg, ie flat across the top of the tooth, with no down angle, and that cuts well.

Again, each of us are cutting different wood in different locations, even the same wood that has grown in low rainfall, compared to the same species of tree that has its roots down in some good ground water will also cut differently due to its denseness etc.

Those angles you have will give you a good idea of how differently a chain will cut/ last/ self feed/ grabby/ smooth etc as you try each different one.
But for now, dont worry about the 10deg top down angle, just do all your filing at 0 deg across the chain, and only change one thing, ie the file height, and thus the side plate/ top plate angle so you can learn what that does.
With cutting a small log, you might find it wont show you how much longer it takes to dull the chain compared to the chains with more hook which dull quicker.

View attachment 887956
Here is another STIHL description of these different angles. It does not explain why they are not different. I suppose that if you filed the top plate straight across they would be the same?

Philbert

Hi Philbert, not directly replying to you per sea, but for the sake of this thread, and those that read it in the future.

Most chain manufacturers now give 0 deg or 90deg, both the same thing of file placement for semi chisel. (0 deg across the top of the tooth, or 90deg to the bar.)
In this case, then yes, the side plate and top plate should be near equal.

ANGLES.jpg

Some manufacturers suggest a 10deg down angle, ie your hand holding the file handle is lower than the file tip that is passing the side plate, and this will give a different side plate, to top plate angle, as the file is lower when it passes the edge of the top plate, thus more hook on that edge, and less on the side plate.
Again, have a look at my earlier pictures of the chain, which show this.

Confused yet :) :crazy2:

Now as to why that is done, short answer, I have no idea, ive not really bothered to think too much about it.
Longer answer, I assume it has something to do with the chain cutters geometry, and how those angles work best with that tooth shape / geometry.
often with 10 deg down angle, its suggested to use 35 filing angle across the tooth, where as its more common to use 30 when your filing at 0 deg, ie no down angle across the chain.
(Yes, we often change that to better suit the timber were cutting, with less/ say 20-25, or more 35/40.)

Chains seem to evolve over time, and as mentioned different makes use different tooth shapes and thus require different file size and angles when filing.
It didnt seem like that long ago that 35 across the tooth and 10 deg down angle was a standard on most chains, even semi chisel).

We all agree that factory grind is an all round, it will cut ok out of the box, but we also all agree that we can then file and shape the cutter to what we are going to cut and make it cut better.

I can only imagine what its like cutting frozen wood, and what it does to a cutter, as we just dont get that type of weather here, and I would imagine those of you who cut frozen wood, would find it an interesting experience cutting some of the aussie hard woods when they are dead and dry.

Over the years I have tried and tested different tooth shapes to suit the varying timber I cut, and have settled on what I use now, due to ease of sharpening (fingers, hands and arms cramp after a day on the saw), and hand filing is not that good at the end of the day, so a guide, like the husky suits me, and the chain. I wouldnt bother using the guide if it gave a tooth shape that didnt work for me or the timber I was cutting.

If Im cutting different gum, i might hand file to suit the timber, but only in small amounts, as I am looking at the economy of time vs chain/ cutter life/ vs what is put in the trailer.
its simply not worth totally re shaping a cutter for one trailer load, if it was a few days of cutting, then yes, if it was an easy small adjustment, and not taking too much from the cutter.

Sometimes, its simply an adjustment of the depth gauge, other times its a change in file height.
Tho I prefer the depth gauges to be nearer the hard setting so I get a smoother less grabby cut, but as mentioned, that can change to suite what is being cut.

And again, the chain is also matched to the power head as well, so another factor to consider when comparing tooth shape etc.

cheers

As Philbert has said before, factory angles are 'general'. How about a carb reset position at 1&1 turn for a certain saw(s). Is this for sea level or at 14,000 ft. In summer or winter? Are the sea level factory carb limiters going to work in all elevations and in all seasons?
Heck no they won't.
It's no different.
Factor angles is silly to me.
You seem to be doing very well Tom.
Our friend made a really good point about not utilizing the length of the file. Dont bang the frills of the file either. I clean them on the back of my glove every 3-5 strokes. I only file right hand from the side though.
Just the way that works for me.
Lots of guys use both hands. High percentage of the Native Americans alternate hands.
Going back on your other thread about butchering your thumb on the point?
The point is not important to test. You may not need a point. You can round that out with bigger files or you can accomplish that with the standard file and file up to the corner .I'm not saying you won't lose on your limbing and brushing or as well your boring capacity. That's the way it is.
It's what weight out.
I may often use the back of my thumb nail to test the sharpness on the top plate. I'm really checking the quality of my file (sometimes it's a little bit of a good habit.) So you will peel your fingernail. Two things I am not doing and that's checking my eyesight or accuracy.

Thanks for all the info so far, I’ll go over this chain with the 80 degree top plate cutting angle and set the rakers to the hard setting and take that out with me too. This will be one very telling cutting session!
Thank you all for such a heap of great tips and also thank you to those who have been communicating with me on private messages helping / advising, you know who you are.

This post is going to be so helpful for so many for years to come.

Some awesome videos, thanks for sharing. Hey, can you record a very short video of how you sharpen freehand as well as some pics of the tooth profile you go for in the harder woods?

I have only been freehand sharpening a couple of months and I’m interested to try / see how others do it to find the best method for me.

i like the results in getting, but I have a lot more to experiment with and in time changes too, I’m aware I’m just scratching the surface..

This is hand file on Banksia, it’s rock hard and dry, akin to Jarrah.

and this is an 056 super again dead, dry and hard, but not sure on exact species of Aussi wood

Here's a couple of pics of my filing. It's nothing fancy as I stated the secret to my chains cutting well in hardwood is keeping the cutters close to the same length keeping set close left side and right side as chain was designed probably not worth doing in soft butter wood.
The type of hardwood I cut this works very good for me.
There is no one method this is how you do it worldwide. It blows my mind some guy's think timber is the same worldwide and offer there way as the only way.
It's all about finding what works best on an individual level taking in account the different types of timber worldwide and adjusting accordingly.

This is .404 RS chisel chain. I use a 7/32 file on .404 right to the end of it's life. And no I don't clean or "get the gullet" as they say for hardwood I actually feel it can slow the cutting on basic work chain but that's just my opinion.
I give the file 10deg down it keeps the file parallel to the top plate of the cutter as Stihl RS has 10deg sloping in on the top plate just look down the chain to see this. I personally feel it cut's better with the 10deg down than 0deg on RS in the harder timber.
On semi chisel it having a 0deg top plate I sometimes give the file 10deg down and sometimes I don't.
Now this is just what works for me on a good work chain it's not a this is how to do it everyone should experiment and find what works best for them.
I will add IMHO there is nothing wrong with chisel chain in reasonable clean wood same as there is nothing wrong with semi chisel chain holding an edge longer in not so clean timber they both have there place they give us options for a reason.

This chain is a little aggressive with hook (for me) as I've been cutting Stringy Bark and it's like butter to cut.
20210207_121054.jpg

The 10deg slopping in top plate on RS makes a V add or don't add 10deg down see what feels better in the wood you are cutting.
20210207_122656.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of my filing. It's nothing fancy as I stated the secret to my chains cutting well in hardwood is keeping the cutters close to the same length keeping set close left side and right side as chain was designed probably not worth doing in soft butter wood.
There is no one method this is how you do it worldwide. It blows my mind some guy's think timber is the same worldwide and offer there way as the only way.
It's all about finding what works best on an individual level taking in account the different types of timber worldwide and adjusting accordingly.

This is .404 RS chisel chain. I use a 7/32 file on .404 right to the end of it's life. And no I don't clean or "get the gullet" as they say for hardwood I actually feel it can slow the cutting on basic work chain but that's just my opinion.
I give the file 10deg down it keeps the file parallel to the top plate of the cutter as Stihl RS has 10deg sloping in on the top plate just look down the chain to see this. I personally feel it cut's better with the 10deg down than 0deg on RS in the harder timber.
On semi chisel it having a 0deg top plate I sometimes give the file 10deg down and sometimes I don't.
Now this is just what works for me on a good work chain it's not a this is how to do it everyone should experiment and find what works best for them.
I will add IMHO there is nothing wrong with chisel chain in reasonable clean wood same as there is nothing wrong with semi chisel chain holding an edge longer in not so clean timber they both have there place they give us options for a reason.

This chain is a little aggressive with hook (for me) as I've been cutting Stringy Bark and it's like butter to cut.
View attachment 888049

The 10deg slopping in top plate on RS makes a V add or don't add 10deg down see what feels better in the wood you are cutting.
View attachment 888051
Ah awesome thanks mate! Could you send a side picture of the tooth? Each side? Quite hard to see the profile from that pic. Very good point about the tooth having a slope, that would absolutely change the angle of the hook across the tooth. Thanks!!

Ah awesome thanks mate! Could you send a side picture of the tooth? Each side? Quite hard to see the profile from that pic. Very good point about the tooth having a slope, that would absolutely change the angle of the hook across the tooth. Thanks!!
20210207_152627.jpg20210207_152436.jpg
Don't forget this is .404 it's a lot more heavy duty and holds an edge a lot longer than 3/8 in hardwoods.

View attachment 888049

View attachment 888051
You can't file 404 with 7/32, it won't cut :laugh:.

Latest posts

Back