Should a 372xp be able to bog and wet 12-20 inch Pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your chain is really dull. Even so, the saw should smoke the wood or burn the clutch or something bad, not just bog so easily. I think you need more fuel on the high.

Ya gotta start with the low tho..

First start with a sharp chain.

You beat me by a second with the second video
I'm not sure what the base settings are for this carburetor I guess the guy I got it from might have played around with it

Your chain is really dull. Even so, the saw should smoke the wood or burn the clutch or something bad, not just bog so easily. I think you need more fuel on the high.

Ya gotta start with the low tho..

First start with a sharp chain.

You beat me by a second with the second video
I'm not sure what the base settings are for this carburetor I guess the guy I got it from might have played around with it

Yup. Gutless.

The saw starts and idles. Good.

Turn the low screw in (clockwise) very slowly until the saw starts to race and move the chain. keep turning the screw very slowly clockwise until the revs drop and the saw almost dies (lack of fuel). Turn the screw out until you find the maximum idle revs again. Know this position.

Back the low out just a little more until the revs just start to drop (slightly rich on the low). Stop. Good enough for now.

Make these adjustments slowly with a warm motor.

Now adjust the idle screwuntil the chain stops. If it takes a tiny kick from the clutch intermittently, that is ok. ( the chain is barely creeping on the bar).

Then we’ll work on the high.

Hmmm. Thought this went. Guess not. “Post reply” again..

You will establish base settings by doing things in order.

Remember where you start. Count the turns on the screws as you go.

If you want, since it does start and idle ok, you could turn the hi and lo in to a gentle stop counting as you go and then turn them back out to where you are now.

Then begin tuning..

You will establish base settings by doing things in order.

Remember where you start. Count the turns on the screws as you go.

If you want, since it does start and idle ok, you could turn the hi and lo in to a gentle stop counting as you go and then turn them back out to where you are now.

Then begin tuning..
I think this saw has limiter caps

You might have to do another video when the low is set.

That saw should snap to attention and rev like lightning. It is a little lethargic right now. Not horrible, but not correct either.

I think it is weak, for some reason.? Perhaps your compression is low, as you’ve found. The piston looks new. Didja get some sea foam?

There’s a better way, but that involves taking the cylinder off. The sea foam might work.

You might have to do another video when the low is set.

That saw should snap to attention and rev like lightning. It is a little lethargic right now. Not horrible, but not correct either.

I think it is weak, for some reason.? Perhaps your compression is low, as you’ve found. The piston looks new. Didja get some sea foam?

There’s a better way, but that involves taking the cylinder off. The sea foam might work.
I will get some seafoam when I go to Walmart about how much do you want to put in? I don't want to burn up the saw or anything stupid

Yup. Gutless.

The saw starts and idles. Good.

Turn the low screw in (clockwise) very slowly until the saw starts to race and move the chain. keep turning the screw very slowly clockwise until the revs drop and the saw almost dies (lack of fuel). Turn the screw out until you find the maximum idle revs again. Know this position.

Back the low out just a little more until the revs just start to drop (slightly rich on the low). Stop. Good enough for now.

Make these adjustments slowly with a warm motor.

Now adjust the idle screwuntil the chain stops. If it takes a tiny kick from the clutch intermittently, that is ok. ( the chain is barely creeping on the bar).

Then we’ll work on the high.

Hmmm. Thought this went. Guess not. “Post reply” again..
There's not that much adjustment on the low it's limited I think you can turn it one rotation and that's about it

Try to adjust the low as I’ve described. Slowly. Find the low setting where the idle is fastest, then open (richen) a bit more.

Work about an 1/16 to an 1/8 turn at a time. Slowly. Let it settle as you go.

An ounce of sea foam won’t hurt. Are you running 40:1?

The risk with sea foam is that a chunk of carbon could loosen and break off and score the cylinder/ring. Unlikely but possible. How much carbon is on the piston top?

An ounce of sea foam won’t hurt. Are you running 40:1?

The risk with sea foam is that a chunk of carbon could loosen and break off and score the cylinder/ring. Unlikely but possible. How much carbon is on the piston top?
Yeah I mix everything 40:1 because we have some older stuff I'd rather error on the side of more oil than not enough

The high setting was turned all the way in on the limiter cap I put it about halfway in the middle and it seems to cut a lot better the log in this video is very heavy and green and the saw seem to go right through it and no problem

Latest posts

Back