Show me your shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am building a tiny home-style workshop because my dad needs the garage to store his tools in the garage because he is a contractor/handyman. will be building a 7x8 shop and I want to see what you guys have to get some inspiration. It will be a lean-to style with a metal roof and that is all I have figured out for now.

You're limiting yourself a bit on space. The bench will take up almost half your floor space. No way to extend the lean-to out a few more feet?

If your not allowed to build anymore structures, have a look into the smallest sea-can you can find.
Those can be moved.

Good luck kid, I'm in the middle of building a 24x30 shop, and already planning on an addition off the one side, at least another 8 to 10 feet wider. Should have just went 30x32 and been done with it from the get go. Still wouldn't have even enough room.
Best I can say, is don't buy stuff you don't have a real need for, and map out where everything will be going inside the space you're looking to build. I did it on paper a few times, and settled on the 24x30 size, but clearly since I've been putting it up, it's just not enough room for storage and a work space with all the crap I've got.

Good luck kid, I'm in the middle of building a 24x30 shop, and already planning on an addition off the one side, at least another 8 to 10 feet wider. Should have just went 30x32 and been done with it from the get go. Still wouldn't have even enough room.
Best I can say, is don't buy stuff you don't have a real need for, and map out where everything will be going inside the space you're looking to build. I did it on paper a few times, and settled on the 24x30 size, but clearly since I've been putting it up, it's just not enough room for storage and a work space with all the crap I've got.
Well. That's the other thing. I was gonna build it in the garage and the space was gonna be smaller than a new building.

Well. That's the other thing. I was gonna build it in the garage and the space was gonna be smaller than a new building.
How big are you able to make it now.
No matter what you build you'll want/need more space. That being said, theres a lot you can do with a well organized small place, you'll just need to narrow down what you find most important. Being focused isn't always a bad thing.

I am building a tiny home-style workshop because my dad needs the garage to store his tools in the garage because he is a contractor/handyman. will be building a 7x8 shop and I want to see what you guys have to get some inspiration. It will be a lean-to style with a metal roof and that is all I have figured out for now.
this is an image of my shop > < or a tatami mat to keep me out of the mud, or an arkansas creeper.. (cardboard)
I do have a DISservice truck, and the forge shed, which is where most of the saw maintenance goes down.
All that said, my folks have a HUGE shop 60x70? 3 stories tall with a pit and an A frame hoist, was grandpa's and was used for a logging outfit in the 60's
Its not big enough for dads projects (mostly snowmobiles and POS square body bow tie rust buckets)
So take this as it is, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE A BIG ENOUGH SHOP OR BARN, build as big, or bigger then your budget will allow, in 4 years you will not regret it.
As its stands now I own a Bridgeport mill, and a Lathe is pending, but neither has a permanent home, let alone a dry place to work on my fleet of trucks. even my dads shop is likely too small for what I've become in 15 years (besides his ins't for sale, nor would I like to live in that town ever again...)

How big are you able to make it now.
No matter what you build you'll want/need more space. That being said, theres a lot you can do with a well organized small place, you'll just need to narrow down what you find most important. Being focused isn't always a bad thing.
Well. It will be about 6.5x 9.5 with a tin roof I can go pretty far back but I don't have the money to make it any bigger. There will be 2.3 feet between the benches. and 7.5 feet tall at its highest point.

Latest posts

Back