Show us your stumps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That stump is from Thursday. We've gotten 10" since then, and it's consolidating quickly. We're way, way behind on snowfall this year, but it's been a perfect winter for cutting wood and dropping trees.
Lake level doesn’t get what the ski resorts do.
Fun to see the pics of them digging out the 60’ lift towers so skiers can get up, lol

View attachment IMG_9400.jpegThis tree blew apart in a windstorm! The property owner scrambled to keep it from crashing onto one of his building and strapped it with what he had available.
I was called in and climbed an adjacent tree, secured guy ropes to suitable anchors and winches. ( A timber faller buddy referred me to this job as he felt the stem was to shot and base to rotten to fell it full length) I was happy to remove it. Climbed, limbed and topped to a 70’ stem and dropped it right into the surrounding forest. Great job, good experience.. Pretty happy with how it all turned out.

Yeah, crashed around with a farm tractor, so slightly different subject :) But... maybe, I found some really cool stumps on the side of the road. Not mine, but from a tree service. Some interesting stuff actually, I'll see if I can scramble something up.

Going to spend a little time on tops this week, until the truck gets to the landing and clears some space. THEN if the weather hold another load or two before the spring mud.

My lovely partner wanted this dead ash taken down that was next to the road. My thought was , it's a state road, they should take down I was over ruled. The stump/log in the pictures had to come down first to make space to drop the tree near the road. Both were dead, mostly. I wanted to get my throw rope up into the lowest crotch, 20-25' up. I had to throw blind, because I needed both hands to throw my home made throw rope (corner cut out of feed bag filled with sand and tied off to a 1/4" nylon rope ) that high or I am just too old to throw it with one hand.
The fourth time the bag went through the desired crotch. Rarely have I been that accurate (lucky?) when I could seeing where I wanted the throw bag to go. Got the pull rope on crotch where I IMG_20240215_163724.jpgIMG_20240215_163440.jpgIMG_20240215_163501.jpgwanted, but it was not longe enough. So what knot would work to tie two ropes together and still be able to untie the knot? Out comes my copy of "The Tree Climber's Companion" to find a knot the works- bowline on a bight. Tied that knot on the ends of both ropes and hooked both ends in celvis.
My lovely partner was on the tractor with specific instructions to keep constant tension on the lines.
She was not indirect line of the tree. The rope went through a pulley, so she and tractor were well away from the direction of fall.
Given the damage to tree, once all the cuts were made a couple of wedges pounded in on the road side, I didn't trust more cutting or wedges and had her pull the tree over. All went well. The next Sunday we did the other tree.
My take away on potentially hazardous takedowns is the analysis of the situation and preparation take much longer than the actual cutting. Several times I revaluated the situation and made adjustments.
I am not a certified arborist. I learn by working with others more knowledgeable, reading, doing and following the arborist on this site. Many thanks to Arborsite

Latest posts

Back