Show us your stumps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked like 2 bars to me, is that a sprocket end on the lhs by the tip of the one we can see ?
LMAO! šŸ¤£ Definitely two bars! Im guessing there's a power head attached to the one with the tip barley showing , and probably smashed to piece's!
Looks like the tree set back on him the first time. Then he took the head off and smashed his saw the second time trying to cut himself out! šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ Pro!šŸ‘

Yeah, I decided that was just the impression of a stinking hot bar tip being run in pinched wood... even if that bar is still straight it's going to be toast
You can see burnt wood on the tip imprint from the chains abnormal friction from being pinched. The sproket teeth are abnormally large because the tip did over heat and the sproket blew out! Ha haaaaa ha! LMFAO!! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Oh man! It just keeps getting better and better! šŸ‘

View attachment 1022049
This one looks to have cost you a bar (that had no business being there to get stuck in the first place), & you've had to make wedges, & it's hung up. A standard face cut & back cut would've put that over in the clear 20' to the right all day every day & maybe cost you 6" of a but log that wasn't that great in the first place.
Food for thought...
That went bad for sure

Guttzy fell, well done. I probably would have cut it another 2ā€™ higher for trailer clearance šŸ¤Ŗ butā€¦you say there was a bunch of metalā€¦oy šŸ˜³.
how did you estimate the length? Looks like the top was damn close to the porch.

I took out most of the nails/screws I could see and cleared around the trunk as much as I could. I figured there would be more that I couldn't see. The homeowner was renting out the house and the tenants piled all kinds of crap around the tree.

I walked out and measured (guesstimated) from a 45 degree angle (taking my height into consideration), the height of the tree (I used to be a weather observer and got good with estimating the heights of bases of clouds). Yes, as stated in my post, the top ended up pretty close to the porch. When the top hit the ground, it shattered and sent pieces of branches flying. One piece (about a foot section) bounced off the gutter after hitting the ground just to the left (looking at the house) of the window. It didn't leave a dent in the gutter. I guess you could say I got lucky it didn't bust out the window....or damage the gutter.

I gave the homeowner a reminder that I was not a professional, licensed, certified, or insured prior to felling both trees. She had talked to a few of the other people I felled trees for and I guess they convinced her to trust me.

I always make sure the homeowners understand that I am not a professional. But that's also why I don't charge them anything (except a case of beer). I don't do jobs that I even slightly think would result in the homeowner suing me. Before I bought a house with a wood burning fireplace, I gave away each "truck load" of the split wood for a case of beer.

That went bad for sure
Thanks for posting the pictures. Bars are replaceable. You aren't. I am going to comment on your pictures. These are general comments directed to no one in particular so please don't take this as a personal lecture or an attack/judgment of your skills.

There are few absolutes beyond gravity in falling trees, but I would hazard to say that safe falling requires a proper hinge is as close to an absolute as it gets for trying to influence where and when a tree falls. Of course, for a hinge to work it must have room to open thus the need for a proper face cut.

I could be mis-reading the stumps, but some show little to no hinge; maybe the faller was chasing the cut to limit fiber pull or the cuts were cleaned up post-falling, I don't know. Some appear as if the faller was relying on a "post" that he whittled down until the tree fell. Almost universally, a whittled post is not a proper hinge. I can't tell if a picture or two shows stump jumping, if so, expecting a tree of the size shown to create a safe hinge without a proper face cut is an accident waiting to happen though some may claim that their family have logged that way for generations.

Not everyone here (including me) is blessed to be able to make a living in the woods. However, I get time is money. I also get that an axe and wedges take time and energy. Nonetheless, fallers face enough hazards without taking unsafe shortcuts. Sooner or later, a hinge-less or improperly cut tree is going to bite someone - maybe the faller or maybe a spectator with misplaced faith in the faller.

Be safe and pay attention to what the other fallers have to say (if you hang around here and read long enough, you will be able to sort out who actually knows their stuff and who doesn't). Some may bust your chops or make you wish you never posted but good advice though painful beats getting oneself or another hurt or killed. Some may ridicule you for sport or self-exaltation - ignore their motives if you can and sort out whether their advice is sound.

Ron

Thanks for posting the pictures. Bars are replaceable. You aren't. I am going to comment on your pictures. These are general comments directed to no one in particular so please don't take this as a personal lecture or an attack/judgment of your skills.

There are few absolutes beyond gravity in falling trees, but I would hazard to say that safe falling requires a proper hinge is as close to an absolute as it gets for trying to influence where and when a tree falls. Of course, for a hinge to work it must have room to open thus the need for a proper face cut.

I could be mis-reading the stumps, but some show little to no hinge; maybe the faller was chasing the cut to limit fiber pull or the cuts were cleaned up post-falling, I don't know. Some appear as if the faller was relying on a "post" that he whittled down until the tree fell. Almost universally, a whittled post is not a proper hinge. I can't tell if a picture or two shows stump jumping, if so, expecting a tree of the size shown to create a safe hinge without a proper face cut is an accident waiting to happen though some may claim that their family have logged that way for generations.

Not everyone here (including me) is blessed to be able to make a living in the woods. However, I get time is money. I also get that an axe and wedges take time and energy. Nonetheless, fallers face enough hazards without taking unsafe shortcuts. Sooner or later, a hinge-less or improperly cut tree is going to bite someone - maybe the faller or maybe a spectator with misplaced faith in the faller.

Be safe and pay attention to what the other fallers have to say (if you hang around here and read long enough, you will be able to sort out who actually knows their stuff and who doesn't). Some may bust your chops or make you wish you never posted but good advice though painful beats getting oneself or another hurt or killed. Some may ridicule you for sport or self-exaltation - ignore their motives if you can and sort out whether their advice is sound.

Ron
IMOP, "that is sound advice" and well said! Well said indeed! šŸ‘

Cut safe, stay sharp and be aware!

I would have to say that a proper hinge across the entire stump and a clean face is most definitely key to the safest way to get a tree to commit into a safe fall. Also, on timber leaning back. Wedges followed behind you back cut is the absolute safest way to fell timber leaning back or leaning out. Setting up more than one tree at a time by crippling with post/strap cuts or even just a set wedge and driving them over or swinging timber with a Dutchman are all unnecessary risks. Although I myself take these risks all based on experience, they are unnecessary risks none the less and should not be executed unless absolutely necessary and one has been properly trained and educated on the fundamentals and hazards of these professional techniques!

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!šŸ‘

Well not much of a stump but these two pics have story to tell.
These two pictures in post #106 represent many things..living life to the fullest, never giving up, staying sharp, the list could go on.

I have farmed a small piece of ground since about 1985 or 86. My farm adjoins it at one corner. The man that owns it was an engineer for Alcoa. It runs from the top of the Mississippi River bluff to the bottom and is heavily wooded. He bought it just to have a place to come out and shoot on the weekends as he still lived up in the cities. We always figured when he retired he would build a house out here. Well as luck would have it when he was about to retire he ended up buying a house near it very cheap and never built. About 15 years ago tragedy struck as one morning he awoke and rolled over in bed to find his wife had passed away. I know it was devastating.

Now when some envision a farm field they think of flat and square. This field has no shape. Those of you familiar with farming or simple area calculations will understand this. The field is only 12.4 acres and it is just a bit over 1 mile around the outer edge. That should give you an indication of shape. After end rows in some places one pass produces point rows thus best suited for seeded crops. It has hills valleys and ditches all around. Well over the years the field really started getting a lot of brush growth around the edges. There was a lot of mult-flora rose and small trees. My father took our dozer around it several times and then my brother did again about 10 years ago. It had been 10 years since it had been dozed around and even then all my brother did was a cursory job just taking out the briars. On January 1st of this year I commenced to getting the edges of that field cleaned correctly. I cut 7 days a week and burned a huge amount of tires with the brush. Of course along the way I cut a lot of firewood. When spring came I had about 2/3 done but it was the worst 2/3 at least. I sprayed all the stumps with Tordon so hopefully they will not be back. This summer I put hundreds of gallons of Glyphosate and 2-4-D around it and every night I can take my doogie for a one mile ride around it.

Now the whole time I worked on it I never saw the owner. I am not an obit watcher and I began to wonder if the sweet elderly man was still around. I had not seen him in years and last talked with him on the phone about 5 years ago. He just mails me the rental agreement each year and I mail a check back. I pay at the beginning of the year so the last time I sent a check was January of 2022. My neighbor that adjoins the place and I talk regularly and he had not seen the owner in years either.

Well one day last week I had just gotten home from work and sat down at the computer before going out to start my work at home . My phone rang and it was my neighbor at the end of the road which adjoins the land. He said "Bill there is a white Ford truck parked in your bean field and it has been there quite awhile. The man's arm is hanging out the window and it has not moved in a long time, do you know who it is?" It surprised me a bit and I said "I think that might be Bill's (his name is Bill also) he used to have a truck like that but I have not seen it in years. I told my neighbor I would come down.

I knew when I headed down this was going to be an adventure. See my neighbor is a retired officer and avid gun owner. He works in a local gun store during the day and carries two sidearms at all times. When I got there he had one in his right hand in his pocket and another on the left. We approached slowly and the mans arm never moved. At this point my heart sank as I really started to believe he had passed away. We got close enough you could see through the side mirror that it was in fact the landowner but he was slumped over and not moving. We stood looking at him for a bit and my neighbor said well his chest moved he is alive. At that point he woke up and looked at us and "said oh I just get tired so I took a bit of a nap."

We went on to talk for well over an hour and he had came up to see what the field looked like and wanted to cut a few trees. The man is 84 years old. He said he felt bad he had not come up and helped me in the winter/spring. Well of course he had NOTHING to feel bad about. After the three of us talked for an hour he said "well I think I am going cut a few of these trees here" I just figured he had a battery saw or a bow saw. As he neighbor and I were walking out of the field we could here the familiar "whack". I did not turn around to see. I figured if the nice man wanted to go out having a heart attack while doing what he wanted I have no business interfering. I went back about 40 minutes later and he had left and I saw the "stump" and partials that I pictured.

I figure we would all be lucky to be able to do that at age 84. He made me feel real bad as I guess he still burns a little wood and has been coming up picking up a few pieces from time to time. I only cut junk trees because my outdoor boiler will burn all species. I now need to round up some nice seasoned wood for him and deliver it to his front porch. I really do not have any good stuff. I have some walnut, cherry and ash logs that were junk trees I cut last winter but they are still logs so that will not work. I will figure out something

Wow. Thanks for sharing the back story.

I have to commend him for getting outside and doing something he wanted!
He is truly a sweet, sweet man. We shared some funny stories and he still has his wits. One of teh many funny stories he shared was. "You know I retired from Alcoa 27 years ago and for 27 years they have sent me pension checks. I kinda feel bad, I only worked for them for 21 years, you think I should the checks back"

One of today's trees...42" fir. Errors include a slight bypass cut in the middle, from when I was trying to finish the offside face. This tree was dead, tall, and almost perfectly balanced, so I should've done a deeper face to "saw some lean" into it. I wedged way harder than I normally want to into a tree with a compromised top.

20221013_104432.jpg20221013_104443.jpg

One of today's trees...42" fir. Errors include a slight bypass cut in the middle, from when I was trying to finish the offside face. This tree was dead, tall, and almost perfectly balanced, so I should've done a deeper face to "saw some lean" into it. I wedged way harder than I normally want to into a tree with a compromised top.

View attachment 1023939View attachment 1023938

Yup you can see your wedge imprint, that says sweat!

View attachment 1023939View attachment 1023938
IMOP, as long as you don't smack the wedge more than once with out looking at the top each time, you're golden. As long the top isn't to far gone. Anymore than one smack to the wedge without looking up is just asking for trouble. It always takes me longer to wedge a fairly sound snag or live tree with a rotten top than a healthy 100% sound tree, but it should if one is paying close attention to the top and wants to stay alive in this game! I've rattled out many a rotten top! šŸ˜‰

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!šŸ‘

Latest posts

Back