Size Difference: MS250 vs. 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkxingu

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I have an opportunity to sell my MS250 to a friend and buy a new saw because I've run into some larger trees it would have been nice to have an 18" bar for.

In any case, I like the size and weight of the 250 and understand the 361 is 2# more, but I cannot seem to find size information. Is the 361 much larger than the 250? I haven't gotten to my local dealer, so I'm not sure if there are 361's left (don't want to go up almost 3# to the 362). If not, I may end up with the 260pro, but it sounds like the 361 is where it's at.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

S

Good Morning,
I have an opportunity to sell my MS250 to a friend and buy a new saw because I've run into some larger trees it would have been nice to have an 18" bar for.

In any case, I like the size and weight of the 250 and understand the 361 is 2# more, but I cannot seem to find size information. Is the 361 much larger than the 250? I haven't gotten to my local dealer, so I'm not sure if there are 361's left (don't want to go up almost 3# to the 362). If not, I may end up with the 260pro, but it sounds like the 361 is where it's at.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

S

025 is a 45 cc saw.

361 is a 60cc saw, 362 is close to the same.

Yes for sure I would sell the 025.

Yes I would get a 361 or 362 for your needs if you want a stihl.

No way would I sell your 025 and buy a 260. They are super expensive and are a great little saw, but power wise not much better that you 025.
45cc vs 50cc. You will be disappointed in the power diff.

Go with a 60cc saw you ll forget about the extra weight , it will cut so much better on the big stuff.

If you get busy now you may find a 361 left. Do an area search of Stihl dealers. There is a 361 for sale by a member in Tradin' Post by Country1 on page 3.

For a one saw plan coming from where you have been with a 260 the 361 would fit most all your needs. The power and speed of an 18" bar makes shorter work and therefore the weight shouldn't be a problem. And being discontinued the MS361 is already a legend. Own one, this site has all the information on modding if you wish, and CAD won't be far off in your future!

(Use the search option, allot of info there)

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like a 361 would be a good choice--I'll start my search tomorrow. Of course, I'm not sure I'll have time, or the weather, to cut anything before spring. Though it is 45 today!

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

S

are these trees 18" you said a 18" bar would be nice. if an 18" bar will do you i say get used 026 om ebay for 200 maybe 250 for a very clean one and run a 18" bar.

this will be much better saw the 025/250 and be lighter then 361 362 by quite abit.

i run 18" bar on my 026 and its lots of fun buckn trees that fill the bar all the way the saw has also seen use buckn 30" trees gota buck from both sides but it gets it done

when i cut tree this small i dont even grab a bigger saw. this tree is right to the tip of my 18" bar. these are doug firs
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/today004.flv">

Last edited:
Not only is the size and power difference substantial, but so is the quality difference.

You will not regret getting a 361 before they all are gone! :)

250 is a saw made to be used here and there,361 is made to run all day long every day.
as sawtroll said the quality difference will be apparent the first cut.

Latest posts

Back