Slamm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the single bit axe thread was up and I told him I carry a dead blow hammer instead (to drive wedges) he went ballistic on me. To me it was a simple case of what choice do I make and he makes, sorta a chocolate and vanilla situation........

Ummm, so Sam and I did agree on something. WTF kind of advantages would the dead blow have over an ax. The ax has a blade, its typically used for cutting, what?! Wood. An ax paired with a blade or any old sturdy metal corner and there's a cable cutter. Hang the ax in a kerf and now its a meter to let you know if she's going or not. The ax has limited flathead screwdriver capabilities as well, gas caps.. the ax serves as a hook to hang stuff off, as well as pulling ones self through the more challenging areas of the fall & buck.

The single bit ax is like the internal combustion engine, its an old idea, but it works so good that nothing is there to take its place in functionality. I always wondered why people take every hammer type tool into the woods except an ax.(youtube fallers)..

So? And don't say something like, the dead blow drives better. Your just not hitting hard enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something told me to stop reading this thread after the first 2 pages......................why am I still here??????:dizzy:

Something told me to stop reading this thread after the first 2 pages......................why am I still here??????:dizzy:

Likely just because of the derails/hi-jacks - like I am?

Sam never bothered me enough to get more than mildly annoyed, some others have been much worse! :givebeer:

Ummm, so Sam and I did agree on something. WTF kind of advantages would the dead blow have over an ax. The ax has a blade, its typically used for cutting, what?! Wood. An ax paired with a blade or any old sturdy metal corner and there's a cable cutter. Hang the ax in a kerf and now its a meter to let you know if she's going or not. The ax has limited flathead screwdriver capabilities as well, gas caps.. the ax serves as a hook to hang stuff off, as well as pulling ones self through the more challenging areas of the fall & buck.

The single bit ax is like the internal combustion engine, its an old idea, but it works so good that nothing is there to take its place in functionality. I always wondered why people take every hammer type tool into the woods except an ax.(youtube fallers)..

So? And don't say something like, the dead blow drives better. Your just not hitting hard enough.

Most common wedging tool here is 3lb deadblow hammers with nylon heads. They spend most of their life hanging in a hammer roll or whatever on your falling belt - out of the way but there when you need to hit something.
Providing you're not going against the lean all day they're plenty adequate for most of our logging and easier to carry around the bush than an axe.

Ted we weren't saying Sam was wrong about the usefullness/'correctness' of the ax........................just that he was a complete ####### towards anyone (even somebody who's already admitted that they're not a pro faller like you guys) who would DARE to state that they use a hammer to drive wedges....

Ted we weren't saying Sam was wrong about the usefullness/'correctness' of the ax........................just that he was a complete ####### towards anyone (even somebody who's already admitted that they're not a pro faller like you guys) who would DARE to state that they use a hammer to drive wedges....

I have done that a lot of times, and I don't hesitate to recommend it - when the situation is right! :D

I've dropped well over 10,000 trees driving wedges in with mini sledgehammers. Must have been doing it all wrong :)

I think I'll take out a patent and get Fiskars to make me a deadblow axe .
I'll call it "The Ultimaxe Felling Tool" and use "You've been doing it all Wrong !" as a company slogan .
Who wants to be a tester and give an unbiased review ???

:hmm3grin2orange:
I stihl prefer an axe LOL

Most common wedging tool here is 3lb deadblow hammers with nylon heads. They spend most of their life hanging in a hammer roll or whatever on your falling belt - out of the way but there when you need to hit something.
Providing you're not going against the lean all day they're plenty adequate for most of our logging and easier to carry around the bush than an axe.

Whatever works for ya. I know I like having a blade handy.

I think he was like that towards any poster he didn't agree with, on any topic. The point made by someone like that is often not the point they intended.

I do not do the sort of heavy falling many of you guys do, but I keep a hatchet handy for when I need to drive a wedge or knock down small stuff.

Latest posts

Back