Small saw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizz4me

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking for a smaller, lightweight but quality saw to use for limbing and helping father in law cut up smaller firewood. I’ve researched here, but times and opinions change including introduction of new models. Would like to spend under 300.

I prefer to buy local from a servicing dealer and then online from specialty retailer like Baileys if I can find a good sale. I have Stihl, Husky and Echo locally.

Currently have a 10 year old Echo CS-450 and new Stihl MS271. Both run well but need something lighter and smaller in the 12-14” bar range. Prefer to buy new and maintain.

Leaning toward the Stihl Brand perhaps the MS-193 (a bit more than I want to spend) or Stihl MS-171 (seems to be lower build quality than the 271 I have now).

Suggestions?

Ms211 would be my choice. Lightweight and decent power for what it is.
I looked at that one but I want a 12-14” bar. The US website shows a 16” bar as the only purchasable option for my zip code. I asked the dealer today if they would swap bar and chain and they only provide them to the customer as they come from the factory.

Echo 400. When I started heating with wood it was the only saw I owned and did 7-8 cords a year for 2 years.

Are you looking at the Stihl 193 in the top handle or the rear handle?

In either case, if your willing to spend that much, I'd go with the Echo 355T or 361P. Between the 193 and 201 in weight and power, closer to the 201, but with the price of the 193.

Of course I don't think the 193T or 193C are bad saws.
They're certainly light and handy. And bring a lot of style to the table. But do you think that or the 171 would have the power your looking for?

If I had to go Stihl, I'd probably pick the 211 also. The power should be good, but not as much of a lightweight as the Echo 361P or the 193's.

For a top handle, I really like the feel and balance of the old style Echo 341. Now only available in the 30cc 303T. But I like the angled top bar like on the 271T and 2511T.

I guess in the end, go handle a bunch of saws and pick the one that feels best to you.

Received a 10% off coupon from Lowe’s. Which brings in the Husky 240. So I guess the contenders for the most part available locally with 14” bar and chain are the:

Husky 240 (Lowes or True Value)
Stihl 170/171 (Ace Hardware full service dealer) Echo 310 (HD or local independent dealer) Jonesred CS2238 (TSC)

I can tune a saw and do my own basic maintenance so once it leaves the shop, unless catastrophic failure, will not need to be returned. As far as ergonomics, likely in this category: Stihl, Echo, Husky, Jonesred but all so similar there are just minimal quirks. im most familiar with Stihl and Echo as that’s what I have now.

Which ones are tuneable not fixed jet carbs (which can be problematic if not set up correctly from factory)?

Which ones am I able to get a decent aftermarket chain for that can cut decent from the start instead of a factory safety chain that dulls quickly and is a headache to use?

Stihl 170 and get a Walbro wt194 for it off of EBay. $14?. That carb is fully adjustable and there is a tutorial here on how to plug the air filter box.

+ 2 or 3 for the Echo CS-400. I've got a CS-370 here and been trying to kill it for years and it's not cooperating. Before I even fired in right out of the box I removed the limiter caps from the mixture screws and gutted out the CAT in the muffler. It's my "go to" saw and spends most of it's time on the Quad or back of the side-by-side ready to go to work.

I've set up quite a few CS-370's and 400's for other folks. They aren't super fast for chain speed, but "grunt" well for the CC's and broad/smooth power curve. They are best when outfitted with a 14" bar 3/8" LP set-up.....IMHO......Cliff

Another vote for the Echo Cs-400, as long as you know how to do a muffer mod, remove the limiter caps and retune the saw. Stay with the 16" bar.

Can't say anything bad about the small Echo saws, seem to hold up well and fairly light.
Another one to consider is Stihl MS180 or 180c
I actually found a 180c at my town dump, bar was trashed and air filter cover was missing.
Brought home, cleaned sparkplug, and put in fresh gas and it fired right up and ran nice.
Got a used air filter cover off ebay and got a new bar and chain from the local Stihl shop and I have been using it for 4 or 5 years as a trim saw/brush saw on my hunting trails on 2 properties and some smaller wood cutting on my property.
It is nice and light, and runs my 16" bar no problem, so I'm sure with a 12 or 14" bar it would have plenty of power.
Only down side is they use the small "picco" narrow kerf chain.
They are priced well, around $200 for a 180, $250 for the 180c (has tool free quick adjuster for chain)

Latest posts

Back