So, what chain fits a John Deere

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got a JD CS-52 from a member here in trade for a toasted 039. Brand new saw! :cool: Gave its first real workout today. Nice!

Anyway, I need some extra loops, and I can't figure out what chain came with it. Anyone have a crossover from JD chain part numbers to Carlton or Oregon or something mainstream? It IS an Oregon chain - it's stamped on the links - so there should be some way to correlate this to an Oregon number.

The JD part number is UP08651, and the manual gives a "Chain Description" of 20LP-72. So, I'm figuring 72 drive links. It's an 18" bar, and a .325 chain (according to the manual). On the drive link there's a 20, and on the rakers there's a 25.

While we're at it, how about some recommendations for chain? I cut mostly hardwood, some pine. Firewood mostly, but I drop a tree now and then. In fact, I have some pines on my property that need to come down. I don't think I need safety chain, and would rather have more speed. However, holding an edge is my first priority.

Oregon 20 LP has been in use for years just now its coming to the forefront after they discontinued 33LG. The 20 LP is a full chisel round ground .325" .050" chain it uses a 3/16" file and a depth gague of .025" if you want a semi chisel use 20 VB or BP. This 20 series chain is where the narrow kerf 95 series got its birthright.

Happy Cutting
Scott

OK, after a little more research I find that asking this was sort of like asking "What's a Ford F-250?" :D

Thanks for the info! From what I've read on several posts here, it sounds like a decent all-around chain. Time to order a couple of loops.

How do you like that saw? I assume it's one of the Efco built models?

I've been seriously eyeing one. I just don't know if I can justify the purchase. Not to mention it would be an oddball in my Stihl stocked garage :D

I like it! Yes, it's an Efco. All metal engine & case, it's certainly not a Big Box plastic homeowner model. I worked it hard Saturday, and it never complained. Some of what I was doing really called for a bigger saw, but it got the job done.

Now if I just hadn't nicked that splitting wedge when I cut that one corner. Ya know, after you strike a few sparks off a steel wedge with your chainsaw, it just doesn't cut the same anymore! :bang:

Oh, well, got some Woodsman Pro loops ordered from Bailey's last night - we'll see how that works out.

Now to sharpen my victim, uh, I mean, chain...

Latest posts

Back