So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out and got my 241 down, put it in the start position and it started on the second pull after the pop. It had not been run in many weeks. It was warm today and the last time it ran was really cold. It ran perfectly and cut like a laser with no fiddling needed. I like that.

I was a GM tech when carbs were going away and the Tech One was a new item 😎 FI made cars easier to work on, not harder and similarly I think Mtronic saws are simple and very reliable.

When I was into sport bikes, I once had a 2001 GSXR1000R while a buddy had a ZX11 with flat slides. He worked on it, tuning it all the time. I just rode the dog crap outta my Gixxer with no tinkering needed. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Pays ya money and take ya pick but I love less trouble myself.

The little orange screwdriver is to adjust the idle speed, so the chain does not move unless the operator present lever is held and the trigger is pulled. What you type above in the last sentence isn't serious or sensible. I have two Dolmar saws that have double D on the high screw and slot on the low and idle which came with screwdrivers.
IF that is where it stopped, I could agree. But it never is. Limters so screwed up you can't remove them. Idle so far off it won't.
If you are an actual tech, or adept a repairing saws, you understand.
I know I preach to the choir here, but there is a whole lot more public out there that should NEVER hold a screwdriver to an engine.
Though, it does bring money into the shop.

IF that is where it stopped, I could agree. But it never is. Limters so screwed up you can't remove them. Idle so far off it won't.
If you are an actual tech, or adept a repairing saws, you understand.
I know I preach to the choir here, but there is a whole lot more public out there that should NEVER hold a screwdriver to an engine.
Though, it does bring money into the shop.
I have in Stihl a ms251 and a ht250. The 251 I heard them start it in the back room before they brought it out, doubt they adjusted anything. I have never touched the high or low and can't recall about the idle. As for the Ht250 best as I can type out here is it was problematic. I ended up having to reposition a plastic serrated block and move the master control unit along the shaft. If I tampered with any of the adjusters it may or may not have been necessary, I never pulled the limiters. Of course this is the last way one can obtain a conventional open port as opposed to stratified charge engine in this displacement and layout.

To go on about my first autotune which was a couple of months ago the Husqvarna 540mk3 rear handle. It is taking like 10 pulls to start it from sitting overnight or more. It is taking like 30 seconds to get up and running probably as intended. Once it is all warmed up and self tuned the acceleration to max chain speed is like wow, almost instant. I did a same bar and chain vs the Makita 3601 dual reed strato with no piston pockets and a disadvantage of perhaps 3cc and less noise the results were 40 seconds vs 43 seconds. The Husqvarna being faster. The Makita is 5 ounces heavier and conventional layout as opposed rear horizontal cylinder. Pho might mean without the clutch cover in a bunch of the specifications the weights I got after dumping out fluids (as opposed to never any fluids) 9lb 4.5oz and 9lb 9.5 oz. If you read somewhere there is no choke butterfly that is incorrect. I guess I will add the Makita 3601 has mini double D adjusters and I most certainly deviated from the way it came.

I never hand cranked a car but did my share of hand cranking tractors. Sthil have 2 Farmalls that have cranks. Thankfully they also have electric start.
I hand crank the H for S&Gs now and then. After I went through the mag, it's usually; bring it up on compression and a bit of an Omph (A good solid pull up on the hand crank, about 4") and she's running. ;^)
Really need to replace the carb it's pretty worn out. Mebby put fuel injection on it. ;^)
making hay 2021.jpg

Auto tune kept the choke feature, m-tronic doesn't have it, just a start position.
The husky auto tune mark 3 version doesn't have a choke position just a start/fast idle position. The choke is set automatically by the mk3 software. I have the 540xp mk3 which has auto choke and I believe the new 592 has the mk3 too.

The husky auto tune mark 3 version doesn't have a choke position just a start/fast idle position. The choke is set automatically by the mk3 software. I have the 540xp mk3 which has auto choke and I believe the new 592 has the mk3 too.
Choke is set automatically, as in choke plate moves or Like the mtronic and uses the fuel solenoid? I haven't had anything that didn't have a choke plate. Mk3 is a saw designation, not an auto tune designation. Can't remember what generation auto tune husqy is on, but if they went chokeless on the new saw versions, I'm sure an update will roll around for the rest of the auto tune line up at some point.

We have had the new Huskies at work for a couple of years. When they work as they should, they are great. Excellent response, and exceptional cutting speed/performance.
However, they require a special software for repairs or adjustments so they more often than we would like end up going back for service.

I prefer my redmax with the adjustable carb

Choke is set automatically, as in choke plate moves or Like the mtronic and uses the fuel solenoid? I haven't had anything that didn't have a choke plate. Mk3 is a saw designation, not an auto tune designation. Can't remember what generation auto tune husqy is on, but if they went chokeless on the new saw versions, I'm sure an update will roll around for the rest of the auto tune line up at some point.
I'll admit I'm not a husky guy bought my first one after 30 years of of Stihl. I guess it's called auto tune 3.0 on the 540 and 592. All I know is what the dealer told me I don't find much info on how it works. He said put it in the start position the saw will set the choke as needed. Pull the cord she starts and runs no choke to mess with.

I'll admit I'm not a husky guy bought my first one after 30 years of of Stihl. I guess it's called auto tune 3.0 on the 540 and 592. All I know is what the dealer told me I don't find much info on how it works. He said put it in the start position the saw will set the choke as needed. Pull the cord she starts and runs no choke to mess with.
Good to know, if you ever get to pulling the air filter mount or can see down around the carb with the filter off, it would be interesting to see if there's a choke shaft/ butterfly. Auto tune and m-tronic are basically the same thing with their own nuances.

Latest posts

Back