So when is Stihl gonna update their MS260......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
......and come out with a MS261? I know they sell a lot of MS260/260Pro's but it would be nice to see a newer model pretty soon! I think a MS261 would go nice with a MS361 and MS441. What do you guys and/or gals think?

P.S. if these has been beat to death.........sorry, just something to talk about!!! :D

If and when they do, I will be one of the first in line.........
Me too. I've always used Stihl saws. So I always start looking at them when I look at a new saw. When I started looking a saws in the 50cc range (MS270, MS280, MS260/MS260Pro, 353 and 346XP) it became apparent that the Husky's were the way to go in this class. I did want to try a Husky. Plus I really don't like the way the MS270 and MS280 feel. I love the way the MS260/260Pro feels. A MS260 with a 16 inch bar feels perfect to me. If they do update it I'll definitely get one. Maybe they'll do something soon. I think I'm going to go up a size and get a MS361 or 357XP. I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the MS361 with a 18 inch bar. I might have an opportunity to cut and split a lot more firewood this year then I normally do. The bigger saw might make things a little easier. Probably look at a 50cc size saw in a year or so. ;)

We were told that ALL Stihl saws will have a Startified engine by I *think* 2009-2010!!! ALL! Starting this year with the MS180

We were told that ALL Stihl saws will have a Startified engine by I *think* 2009-2010!!! ALL! Starting this year with the MS180

All stihls will have stratified charge engines by 2010??? That would be a reach, since this tech has been notoriously hard to apply. No cat converter needed, however, and high performance certainly possible. Any details on the 180?

Last edited:
I wish they would leave the 440 alone,and just introduce a new model.I have a MS260 I bought two years ago.It gets used once or twice a week for cutting big tops and cutting down blocks too big for the 200T but not quite big enough for the 440.I've been impressed with this saw so far.If they could better it,they by all means please do

Ive got a new MS260 as well. I use it for clearing trails, brush piles, limbing, and a little firewood.
For what it is, its fine. But it just isn't sexy.
Something like the 346xp is much more fun.
The Stihl always starts, runs well, has pretty good torque, and is light.
It just lacks some intangible something.
And it vibrates kinda a lot for such a small saw.

Ive got a new MS260 as well. I use it for clearing trails, brush piles, limbing, and a little firewood.
For what it is, its fine. But it just isn't sexy.
Something like the 346xp is much more fun.
The Stihl always starts, runs well, has pretty good torque, and is light.
It just lacks some intangible something.
And it vibrates kinda a lot for such a small saw.

I've been wanting to ask someone about a 346XP.I've always thought about buying one to use what I use the 260 for.That being said,I am gonna get one next time I make it by the saw shop

Redmax has been using strato-charged engines for over ten years. Since Husky now owns Redmax........

What exactly do you mean by "strato-charged". At what point in the combustion cycle are they stratifying the combustion chamber? I'm just curious about the tech, don't know much about it other than a little reading.

What exactly do you mean by "strato-charged". At what point in the combustion cycle are they stratifying the combustion chamber? I'm just curious about the tech, don't know much about it other than a little reading.

Do an AS search. I attached a tech doc explaining this on an thread a few months ago. Can't remember which one though. Probably about the 441.

Redmax has been using strato-charged engines for over ten years. Since Husky now owns Redmax........

Well now that they own Redmax they will rape that company of their technology and leave them for dead just like they have done other companys. I'm guessing their engineers have a lot of time on their hands.

Latest posts

Back