So when is Stihl gonna update their MS260......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent Stihl an e-mail last week and asked if they had any plans to update their MS260/Pro. For whats it's worth one of their Technical Advisor sent me an e-mail back saying........."The MS260 Pro design is already an updated design in the 1121 series unit, its predecessor being the 026 first produced in 1994 and later changed to the MS260 in 2001. At this time, there are no plans to update this unit again." Again for what it's worth!

Well ...as the 026 came out in 1988/89.... But I seriously doubt if there will be any more updates... not to say there won't be a new saw with similar model number though! And no, I know nothing!

Lakeside53, I was hoping they would update or come out with a new 50cc class pro saw. I'm going to be buying a new saw in a few months (have a few things I gotta take care of first, the saw might have to wait til summer). I've pretty much narrowed it down to two saws. A Husky 353 w/16 b&c or a Stihl MS361 w/18" b&c. It's going to depend on how much firewood I'll be able to cut this year. I won't find that out until the end of March.

All I've ever owned in the past is Stihl. I've had nothing but great luck with them and wouldn't mind sticking with them. Having said that I'm not going to pay $460 for a MS260 or $500 for a MS260Pro when I can pay $390 for a 353, from the same dealer, especially when the 353 seems to be a better saw! :)

Last edited:
I can be.........on the other hand I have been here for almost 5 yrs. I have my playful side too!!!:laugh:

Hey Rich, isn't it funny when the newbs jump up and ask the regular long time members who they are!! I had one do that to me not long ago as well. didn't like my sense of humor and asked who the fook I was too. lol. He knows now.
I always thought the new members were supposed to get the feel of a forum and try to fit in, not try to change the longtime membership to make the forum the way they want it. at least thats what I did when I first started posting after reading/lurking for over a year. :bang:
-Ralph

I can be.........on the other hand I have been here for almost 5 yrs. I have my playful side too!!!:laugh:

Hey Rich, isn't it funny when the newbs jump up and ask the regular long time members who they are!! I had one do that to me not long ago as well. didn't like my sense of humor and asked who the fook I was too. lol. He knows now.
I always thought the new members were supposed to get the feel of a forum and try to fit in, not try to change the longtime membership to make the forum the way they want it. at least thats what I did when I first started posting after reading/lurking for over a year. :bang:
-Ralph

Ralph.........I agree..........but then what can you expect..........across the pond and all!!!:bowdown:

Ralph.........I agree..........but then what can you expect..........across the pond and all!!!:bowdown:

Hate to say it, but Stihl and Huskey and Dolmar all originated accross the pond.

This ain't about saws............it's about personality..............go figure it out!!!

I ain't catchin' another 5 points for across the pond babble!!!

stihl 440/ husky372

MS 440's ARE still available and will be for a few more months in most areas of the US i've been told. Also, has anyone else heard that out west there is going to be one more batch of 372 xp's coming? We haven't been able to get them here in almost 2 years. What's up with that?

Just came home from the Ligna fair in Hannover, Germany.
Talked to the Stihl representative and they won't present a 261 in the near future. Not during 2008 in any case. Next saws to be updated from XX0 to XX1 will be 171, 181 and 221 he said. So buy a 346 or 353 or 5100 if you want a 50cc saw.

/Peter

Btw, Looked at the Stihl timber sport competition, what a dissapointment.
Guys with lots of muscles but I who probably haven't cut 2 cords of wood in real life.

I'm not really surpriced, but do you believe they would have admitted it, if a MS261 was right around the corner?

Sales of the 260 are probably still very good, so I think the 261 will come as a surprice when it is due, to not diminish the 260 sales in the meantime.......:biggrinbounce2:

I'm not really surpriced, but do you believe they would have admitted it, if a MS261 was right around the corner?

Sales of the 260 are probably still very good, so I think the 261 will come as a surprice when it is due, to not diminish the 260 sales in the meantime.......:biggrinbounce2:

Could be true. At least I put a LITTLE preassure on him by saying that if they launch a 261 any time soon, I could probably wait with buying a 346, if not, I would go straight to the Husky dealer. That was not true since I already have my 353, but he wouldn't know ;). Still, I think he was telling the truth.

yep.. it's still selling fine... and they have a ton of epa credits to "burn" up.

I've heard other model change rumors, and even of some field testing going on, but everyone is real tight with info... and not just Stihl. We did get the LAST ORDER request for the 440 yesterday. No llmit on quantity, but this is the last time to order with a mid-June delivery. By fall they will be history (for USA sales).

BTW, I've found the Stihl sales guys are the last to get told anything, mainly 'cos they are the first to blab.. ;)

Last edited:
I wish they would get rid of the MS260 - then Peter and RBtree won't have anything to compare their favorites to :laugh: laugh: laugh:

So buy a 346 or 353 or 5100 if you want a 50cc saw.

/Peter
I'm going to get a 353 with a 16 inch b&c. I'm going to use it for limbing, blocking and felling limbs/wood/trees up to 12 inches or so. I think the 353 will work a little better for me then a 346 will. Plus I like the dealer I just bought my 365 from so I'll buy the 353 from him as well. Dolmar is out of the question. Their dealers don't last to long in my area.

Being a bit biased on this one I would like to see a improvement on the 026-260. I happen to like that saw yet do not own one I would take a 2152 over it any day because the dealer is that good! But I have used a 026 and a friend owns one that has lasted forever! Now the reason is the Jred is so smooth you don't even know you are cutting with it that is why I like it more than a 026 or 260 but if Stihl made the 260 as smooth as the Swedish saw I might get one. Allot has been said about the air filter clogging up but to me that would be a minor thing.

Back