So when is Stihl gonna update their MS260......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racing and ones perception of a saw can be subjective!

All in all the 441 is a good saw.............

Haven't we been down this road before to the tune of 6'000 or so posts???

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I believe no-one is contesting that, ay least not me, as I haven't run one.....:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Thanx for admiting so. Too many armchair 441 owners out there!!!

Thats exactly what will happen
Lakeside, doesnt Stihl actually have two strato charged engines? The other being a concrete saw?

Ben I had a little Redmax saw on my bench today. Not for repair but for a new chain. The ole boy that brought it in says its a nice little saw but a pain in the butt to find chains for in the area. I cut him a new chain and we got to talking. This guy was about as country as they come, a real good ole boy. He has a few Stihl's and that Redmax and we got to yaking saws. I asked him if he ever tried a Dolmar. He goes nope, never heard of them,lol. I said well ya ever tried a Husky. He goes yep, no count, don't hold up, in the shop more than in the woods. I said well what about ya Stihl's. He goes never had a problem with a Stihl including finding a chain for it,LOLOL. That guy cracked me up.

Back on subject though the engine on the concrete saw is completely different than on the chainsaw. They use reeds in the concrete saw because its not reving all that high. The 441 motor is quite different.

Now that you mention I got to thinking. One race we finished dead even between the 440 and 441. I was at the 19" end and my buddy(440) was at the smaller end. I dunno how big(or small) it was, but it had to be atleast 1-2 inches smaller. Cheating bastard.....:biggrinbounce2:

Yeah I agree about the 041 and 051 sound. Awesome sounding saws. They kinda sound like a 2 stroke James Earl Jones.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm sure our soon to be neighbors loved hearing the 041 for awhile on the big hedge I cut up last weekend.

Sounds like he slicked ya,lolololol. Yes those old saws really sound good. I got my eye on a 076 I'm trying to talk out of a old guy. Talk about a saw that sounds like a Harley, that baby is it. Damn thing is 30 years old and looks great. He told me its cut about 4 cords and I believe him. Gotta get that saw off that guy somehow. Maybe I'll just burn his house down and when he isn't looking I'll grab it,hehe..............

I have more faith in bwalker, than in you - but I don't know wtf why......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:
Btw, no chance to test them all out here, they are 50 (+) to 100% more money than in the US.....:bang: :bang:

Back on subject though the engine on the concrete saw is completely different than on the chainsaw. They use reeds in the concrete saw because its not reving all that high. The 441 motor is quite different.

The 441 is easily the best of the two EPA saws currently in production IMO. This is based on the limited trigger time I have behind each..
I will be able to buy 372's in CA for some time so I am not worried. I would also have no reservation about running a 441 if other non epa choices like the 7900, 460 and 2171 where not out there.

BTW there is no way that a MS440 has more torque than a 372. I owned both these saws, put lots of time on both, even owned both at the same time and there is no way in heck a identically setup 440 has more torque/stump power/etc than a 372.
From what the engine builders say about the port numbers in each it is no surprise. Husky 372= lower crank case compression ratio, large transfers, less timing. MS440 smaller transfers, less case compression and more port timing.

I have more faith in bwalker, than in you - but I don't know wtf why......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:
Btw, no chance to test them all out here, they are 50 (+) to 100% more money than in the US.....:bang: :bang:

Hey Sawtroll don't be putting words in my mouth!

I said..........

The armchair wasn't intended for you............so back off!!!

As for having more faith in Ben than in me...........I don't recall asking!!!

Thall, maybe your good ol boy had a fetish for out of date saw designs hence is liking of Redmax and Stihls....:hmm3grin2orange:

He spoke his mind Ben. Apparently he rates his saws like 99% of most people, no thrills needed as long as it holds up. I doult seriously he wasted much time fiddling with the small stuff Ben, he's more like me, cut some wood and get it to the house.

While I gotcha here Ben want to ask you a question. You ran that 441 did you noticed just how long it ran on a tank of fuel? Mine seems to go and go and go. I could take that saw and cut more wood in a day than I could with my 046 because I'm not stopping over and over to refuel. Did the one you tried out seem easy on fuel or is mine super tuned????

Hey Sawtroll don't be putting words in my mouth!

I said..........

The armchair wasn't intended for you............so back off!!!

As for having more faith in Ben than in me...........I don't recall asking!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

..but Ben is just more convincing.....

Last edited:
Whatever dude.............you are the one with "Troll" in his username.

If it fits wear it!!!:rock:

Can I study under the bridge with you???

I have no problems with rotten treelimbs, you have allways been an asset to this site! :yoyo: :yoyo: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I got somethin' else thats rotten...........care to smell my asset?!?!?:yoyo:

Fore yaw to get to fussing too much answer me a question Rich. I asked Ben but he wouldn't say. Is your 441 extremely easy on fuel, mine sure is. I'm wondering if I got a real goodie or does your's use less fuel too???

Back