Sold a saw on ebay last week.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first time I ever sold a saw on ebay so I vary well may have not packaged it right I will make sure it is good snug in the box next time I will just offer a refund or send out another bar at his option thanks for the info

It was just a few weeks ago that this forum had a whole thread on how to properly ship a chainsaw. There were some really good comments, tips, advice, and suggestions.

As much as we all buy and sell saws, maybe that shipping thread should become a "sticky". :rock:

The last item I sold on E-Bay, was an original set of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beatles-bob...899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e012b8db

I won them at a local small-town carnival when I was 10 yrs. old. I kept them for many years, but decided to sell them as I knew they'd bring some good money.

I chose E-Bay to sell them on, as you simply cannot get a better bunch of buyers. I got tons of responses minutes after they were listed. Lots of "low-ball" offers to be exact. Anyways, after 3 or 4 days, I narrowed the serious offers down, and accepted one of them.

Now came the hard part. Shipping them. The buyer lived in Puerto Rico. I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. The bobble-heads were about 50 yrs. old, and in perfect / pristine condition.

You think a chainsaw is hard or difficult to ship? Think again!! If they didn't arrive in the condition they were in, prior to shipping them, I'd be up **** creek w/o a paddle. That was NOT going to happen.

Anyways, long story made short, they got there just fine. Two new, heavy-duty boxes, one inside the other, lots of bubble-wrap and styro-foam peanuts. It cost me more than I had anticipated shipping them, but I didn't want any problems or issues.

I made some serious money on those bobble-heads, so I wasn't going to cut any corners on shipping them. I've shipped a lot of stuff over the years, but those made me the most nervous. I was very happy to get it over and done with.

shipped 2 saws to mastermind one arrived with bar sticking out and the top spike on dog broken off!! how hard did that get throwed to break a steel dog spike? the other was new 461 when it returned the top magnesium guard in front of oil cap broken off and stuck in cardboard they are like magilla the gorilla with these packages ! i thought i packed good!

I recently received these 4 files from baileysonline.
The box and packing *almost* seemed a bit of overkill until you looked at how the box was squashed.
The files were wrapped in those plastic bags and then about three yards of brown paper.
(and a Logosol tabloid)
was arranged around them inside the box.
You can see how the packaging payed off in those un-broken files.File box a little mashed .jpg

This is the first time I ever sold a saw on ebay so I vary well may have not packaged it right I will make sure it is good snug in the box next time I will just offer a refund or send out another bar at his option thanks for the info

That's about what I figured...

If you just put a bar in a box and make it snug, you will be replacing a bar again. The ends have to be covered with something or secured in the box.

Want to know how not to pack stuff? Order from Amazon. They have some of the most pathetic packing I've seen. They'll ship a music CD, a compact florescent lamp and a pair of shock absorbers for a monster truck in the same huge box with some of those inflated baggies that will come deflated from being popped.

Many years ago, I sold a brand-new Echo CS-6700 chainsaw to someone on this forum. I can't remember who it was, but it's not important.

What was important, was that the saw came with a nice plastic carry / storage case. I didn't have the factory cardboard box that it all came in, so I had to find one big enough to put it in. That ended up being a golf bag box. That box cost me $10.00, that I do remember.

Got it all sealed up and shipped it off. It arrived on-time, but the cardboard box was beat all to Hell. The only thing that saved that saw, was it's factory carry / storage case. Buyer sent me an e-mail and told me this. It was nice being able to ship it w/o having to remove the bar / chain.

Obviously, what I have come to realize over the many years of shipping, is that the bigger the box, the better things inside it have to be packed. I almost never have any problems with the smaller boxes / packages.

Wont mention any names. A member from this site sent me a nice poulan pro 475 crankcase I was wanting for the crankcase itself for a project.
Was placed in a empty box with nothing, twice it's size crankcase rolling around freely and broke the rear AV mount right off the crankcase. :dizzy::dizzy:

I wrap ends of bar and secure it to inside of box, make sure everything is secure so even if you shook it you can barely hear thing move, then wrap it in $10 worth of tape :) thats what i do. Ask eccentric or sawgarage. I've had people complain to me cause they had to fight their way into the box :laugh: if it's a chore to get into the box it will be a chore for anything to get out ;)

I know the vast majority of you tape the box flaps to seal it.

Just once, try using Elmer's Glue to seal the flaps. You'll be amazed at how much more firm and sturdy the box becomes. Tape still allows the box to "flex" when compressed or squeezed.

And.....it's cheaper than using tape. What else could you possibly want?

Try it.......you'll like it.

I've received them with the bar nearly punched out of the box. I gave the seller a heads up just to let them know.

It has happened to me that the bar is partially out of the package while receiving a saw, it is an accident if it falls...

It happened something similar on Ebay, I ordered a saw, and the cylinder must have fallen during transport. And coincidentally, a Chinese cylinder that should be in another package fell into my package and fix to my saw!

I have a feeling that this hit the floor in transit

IMG_20130510_121028.jpg IMG_20130510_121036.jpg IMG_20130510_133837.jpg

It only had a couple of pieces of crumpled newspaper inside to help absorb the spilt gas.

Wonder how the bar got so bent?? Previous owner or the fork truck running over it at the shipping hub??

There was an exceptional delay in shipping probably because they had to find the pieces. I contacted the seller after 1-week past the expected receive date and had him verify that it was "stalled" in transit. That probably helped him realize his mistake once thing arrived messed up.

1-good thing, I've got a new B&C and despite the shipping a good saw

I go out of my way to ship saws in in either Stihl or Husky boxes. Bars have a hard time getting out of a better built box. My Stihl dealer has plenty of boxes....

In December ! ordered a 7910 from central power. They don't put extra packaging on the saws. Just slap a label on the box and hand it off to fedex. When it arrived I opened the box to find a crunched saw. Someone ran into the box with a forklift and shoved the pallet fork right through the recoil and crankcase.

In December ! ordered a 7910 from central power. They don't put extra packaging on the saws. Just slap a label on the box and hand it off to fedex. When it arrived I opened the box to find a crunched saw. Someone ran into the box with a forklift and shoved the pallet fork right through the recoil and crankcase.

And the Fed-Ex guy that delivered that box to you didn't see the damage to the box?

Huskys seem to be shipped the same way. Saws in empty box.

Box looked perfect on the outside. Someone opened the box and pushed it back out then closed the box back up to cover up their screw up

Latest posts

Back