Some saws not seen outside Japan often

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharing photos

Thanks SEAM for sharing all the Great photos of saws and scenery. Beautiful country.

Arrow13

Seam, cool saws. Beautiful country side. Do you still run 20-1 on that rotary saw? What do they use for apex seals on them? My RX-7 always ran HOT, do you have to run the rotary saw richer? I've run a dolmar, very cool saw. I wonder about yours? You say two models of different size, what displacement?

I do mix a little extra oil for this one. The Yanmar I have is the equivalent of a (contemporary) 60 cc saw. The also had a smaller model comparable to 35 cc.
And yes, rotary engines run VERY HOT :angry:. I haven't really disassembled the saw so far, so I have no idea about its innards. Don't really want to break anything - there are no parts for these whatsoever.

SEAM, thank you for a great thread :clap:!

If you don't mind, I'm going show my ignorance with a few questions.

What is the vintage chainsaw market like in Japan? Are old saws "just old saws," or are they sought after by collectors?

Do you have to follow certain bureaucratic procedures in order to cut wood? I'm guessing that there is a large difference between cutting fallen trees and felling living trees.

Thanks in advance for any info that you're able to provide.

You just had to post pics of the sakura blossoms didn't ya... :cheers:

Sakura Matsui, which actually means Cherry Blossom Festival. You said Cherry Blossom blossom. :msp_wink: I lived in JA for several years doing some US Gov. work back in the mid 80s. Very nice country, wonderful friendly people, fantastic food.

Great pics thanks for sharing.

To combine answers for the two previous posts:
A number of collectors have emerged in Japan over the years, so it is becoming more and more difficult to add to the collection. I was lucky to start early....
As for felling and cutting, I haven't paid anything for firewood so far. If someone needs to get rid of something that burns in a stove, I am happy to comply :msp_wink:
I still have a few years worth of trees standing right above our house. But usually I will get a lot of wood from construction and road building sites which is a lot easier to cut and load on the little truck I use.

PS: The mid 80s were the best years!!

Last edited:
Sakura Matsui, which actually means Cherry Blossom Festival. You said Cherry Blossom blossom. :msp_wink: I lived in JA for several years doing some US Gov. work back in the mid 80s. Very nice country, wonderful friendly people, fantastic food.

Great pics thanks for sharing.

Perhaps I should have just said hanami... Everything I've studied so far points to sakura translating as cherry? I need to get my HF radio up and running, might have an easier time learning japanese. There is a japanese restaurant locally that my wife and I had a meal at recently. Several employees were speaking japanese, so I might see if one will tutor me. :msp_smile:

Nihongo wa muzukashi desu. Maybe that's close?

The saws are very interesting. I have a CS 60 S, but it does not look anything like the one in the picture.
You could probably get a job with the Japanese Dept. of Tourism with the pictures you posted. I do not like to get more than walking distance from home, but Japan would be one of the places I would like to see. Tom

Perhaps I should have just said hanami... Everything I've studied so far points to sakura translating as cherry? I need to get my HF radio up and running, might have an easier time learning japanese. There is a japanese restaurant locally that my wife and I had a meal at recently. Several employees were speaking japanese, so I might see if one will tutor me. :msp_smile:

Nihongo wa muzukashi desu. Maybe that's close?

Actually I should have written Sakura Matsuri. But yes if you said hanami, that would be understood as well in JA.
It is not an easy language to translate. The sentence structure is much different from English. I took a couple semesters of JA language at the Univ of Maryland overseas division outside of Tokyo a long, long time ago. I'm pretty rusty with speaking it now.

But anyway, the Cherry Blossom Fest was a huge party. People sitting on tatami mats eating and drinking and having a great time while nestled amongst the cherry trees in full bloom.

Big thanks to SEAM for posting the great pics .

Great saws and pics , thanks for sharing . I love the sound of a single rotor wankel . Sounds exactly like my "72 Arctic Cat 303 wankel , but smaller .
Is the countryside primarily volcanic where you live ? it's beautiful .

Yes, it is all volcanic rock covered with a light coat of topsoil.
Lots of steep hills and mountains, terrain where you want to carry the lightest chainsaw available with the longest bar possible.

A number of collectors have emerged in Japan over the years, so it is becoming more and more difficult to add to the collection. I was lucky to start early....
As for felling and cutting, I haven't paid anything for firewood so far. If someone needs to get rid of something that burns in a stove, I am happy to comply :msp_wink:
I still have a few years worth of trees standing right above our house. But usually I will get a lot of wood from construction and road building sites which is a lot easier to cut and load on the little truck I use.

Thanks for the replies!

Several years back an AS member from Japan posted many photos of a residential tree removal where they were working in a very tight space. His posts indicated that residential work required a fair amount of red tape (I don't recall which city, but do remember that it was a major one).

Thanks for the photos of saws and Japan. I've become very fond of Japanese saws and would love to learn more about their history and development. Are there any brands currently sold over there which are exclusive to the Japan market?

Thanks for sharing your saws with us.
Your English is better then a lot of people from this country, myself included. How many languages do you speak ?
Tell me more about your little truck. I would love to have one but can only use them off road here.

Later
Dan

Thanks for sharing your saws with us.
Your English is better then a lot of people from this country, myself included. How many languages do you speak ?
Tell me more about your little truck. I would love to have one but can only use them off road here.

Later
Dan

I was under the same impression about the mini trucks here in TX, but I have seen two that were tagged/inspected and being driven on state highways. Maybe there's some kind of loophole?

I have heard that quite a number of those little trucks are being imported and put on the road in the US and Canada.
They easily do 65 mph and handle quite well - mine handles like a normal car and even offers enough room even for my surplus pounds of weight :hmm3grin2orange:.
If necessary me, my wife and our two dogs (40+ lbs each) will fit into the cab (not exactly comfortably) even over longer distances.

And the mileage of the newer ones is A++++. Mine is 10 years old but does 70+ mpg.

Latest posts

Back