Something different....yeah!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on and off, quite some time now... this car has possessed my social life!
I was just about to go back into the "Garage Mahal" and sand down some more - who needs a gym when you have to do bodywork? it's like boxing training blocking this sucker down!
I know in the future, I'll need a new engine. Of course, it will be huge in displacement...there is no replacement for displacement

gonna run with this paint job...grey areas will be siver chrome, red is Toyota Mica Red, gets a gold flake look when the top clear coats get deep....chassis is this red :)

Show us some more info on that dragster. I think thats the coolest damn thing I have seen in a long time. Maybe thats the gearhead in me. Combining chainsaw engines and racing sounds like my cup of tea...:chainsawguy:

That is WAYYY cool! It looks like the "clamshell" type engines suit your racer well, with minimum weight, since it is not running a bar and chain...

What does the large exhaust pipe do? Does it have really low back pressure but still muffle sound? :clap:

A mate of mine made the pipe..he's old school (the measurements on how to build the expansion chamber are in Imperial) pipe will make power at mid - high rpm. It's based on the theory from Rotax motors, and motorcross bikes. Sort of a lung transplant, if you know what I mean:) :)

Helmholtz Resonance and Expansion Chambers

That is WAYYY cool!

What does the large exhaust pipe do? Does it have really low back pressure but still muffle sound? :clap:

Proper length headers on a 4 stroke, expansion pipes on a 2 stroke, and intake runner length on either engine can greatly improve the flow of incoming air and exhaust gases through the engine. In a 2 stroke as the piston covers the transfer port and the intake pulse of air is stopped, there is a pressure wave that travels back to the venturi and then bounces back towards the crankcase. This pressure wave travels at a fixed speed based on air pressure and temperature, close to the speed of sound. If you time those pressure waves bouncing back and forth to be traving towards the engine as the piston uncovers the transfer port by adjusting the length of the runner(or when the valve opens on a 4 stroke) you get a surge of pressure into the crankcase large that the vaccum would provide on its own. This helps the engine take a larger breath of air during the intake cycle.

On the exaust side it is easy for a 4 stroke, the runner length from the head to the collector for a header can be calculated. Again this can take advantage of the pressure wave by having the correct length exhaust runner you can have the pressure wave moving away from the engine as the exhaust valve opens, scavenging more exhaust out of the cylinder. On a 2 stroke it is more complex due to the overlap of the intake and exaust port opening times. That is why the expansion pipe is used. The length of the pipe to the expansion chamber, the angles of the chamber inlet and outlet, and the length of the chamber all have different affects on the power band of a 2 stroke. Correctly designed the pipe will help pull the exhaust away from the engine as the port is opened and then the pressure wave will bounce back to stop the flow of fresh intake gases from going out with the exhast to maximize the fresh mix in the cylinder.

Using this type of tuning theory can greatly increase the power of and engine, if done properly I belive you can exceed 100% volumetric efficiency in a very narrow rpm range. It can also make an engine that has a VERY narrow powerband. But done correctly it can increase horsepower and adjust the torque band of and engine.

There are formulas to calculate runner size and length for the intake as well as expansion chamber dimensions available online and I believe in the 2-stroker tuners handbook. I bet some of the guys in the Hotsaw forum are up to speed on the designs and can tell you how narrow the power band can be along with what kind of peak power they can produce in that narrow range.

Why not use an expansion pipe on an everyday saw? Size, weight, and narrowing of the power band would all be concerns.

If you want to see some saws with big pipes and v-8 engines you should head on out to Deming, Washington for the Deming Log Show this weekend. You will find some cool saws there!:popcorn: 5 miles from my front door.

http://www.demingloggingshow.com/:greenchainsaw: :popcorn:

you're right, it's what we'd call a tuned pipe in the RC ind.
Say if you had a 125cc dirt bike, with a correctly manuf expansion chamber, at "powerband" you're stuffing 250cc into the engine
I think the old book was "the 2 stroke tuner's manual" by Gordon Jennings

I think the old book was "the 2 stroke tuner's manual" by Gordon Jennings

Somewhere, I've got a humorous article from the late 70's/early 80's about 24 hour road racing. A low budget team recruited a magazine writer for their pit crew, so of course he had to write about it. They hadn't rented any track time, so they ended up track tuning the bike during practice and into the race. The owner had made custom pipes to Jennings' specs. Rider comes in for fuel and to complain about the carbs. "so lean if I give it full throttle it dies". They take out the factory main jets, probably 215s or so, and give him 230s, still too lean. That was the first of many jet changes. Several hours into the race, they managed to scrounge up a set of gigantic jets, like 325s, and the bike was running right, but sucking fuel like Linda Lovelace, if I remember the comparison correctly. The author had to be Ed Hertfelder.

Well, I have had to work a lot lately....gives me bugger all time to play with the rail.

I made a wheelie bar whilst waiting for (more) fibreglass to go off.
Now I'm starting on the wing and wing frame - woo-hoo!!!!:clap:

Well, I'm nearly done with stuffing about with fibre glass, and I made the wing with Carbon Fibre arrow shafts.....Now it's back to work on the chassis.:clap:

A good mate of mine has access to a "false floor" and umbrella type flashes+ digital SL/R camera...all the things necessary to get some 'glam shots" of the car when I finish it up. Then I'll go for a drive, and probably ruin it:cry:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUri3eFHAk

I enjoy the updates and like seeing other peoples hobbies. I wish mine were as productive. Keep up the good work.

I made a Vee Belt pulley for belt starting the engine - machined the fins off the flywheel....body has it's first layer of primer now... all chassis parts are finished.
I was running it on the bench at full noise - and BANG!! I split he seams in the pipe:mad:

anyhow, I ordered some titanium putty from ITW Polymers
that should make my pipe like a baseball bat.

If its not raining tomorrow. I'll put the body on (white only) and take some photos of it on the road - getting close now!!:clap: :clap:

OK, I had some time this weekend to do some more....

Chassis is all finished

Pipe is still waiting to be fixed

Body got it's first coat of gloss white

Getting close now, I can smell it...:)

Polymers never showed...a blessing in disguise, it turns out...I have been offered a tig welded titanium pipe at no charge from an old mate of mine...that sure beats a fixed up alloy job!!!
Did a bit of painting last week, and put a couple of stickers on today...

Photos are big, I will have to cut 'em down a bit and re post...

Last edited:
Muddy, great looking dragster, but let's see some pictures of it in action.
We need to see!!!!

Carl

that pretty cool muddy. and good to see another rc freak on here. i'm heavily into the monster trucks and truggies. now you need to go a different route and stuff a .32 nitro engine into the poulan case you stole that out of.:givebeer:

Well, I've been doing other stuff...domestics, you know...anyway, I've decided on a better radio set - up.
Also, the new pipe isn't going to be titanium; rather, aircraft stainless (who cares? it's for free)

While that part is still being made, I am fixing the old pipe with some Devcon Titanium putty (this stuff ain't cheap, either)

Back