Splitter Engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NELOG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a splitter with the Barnes-Haldex 28 GPM two-stage pump. From the calculator in Grainger and Northern, it seems that a little less than 15hp is required to run this pump properly. I've come to the conclusion that I really would like to use a Honda engine if possible, but there is a rather large gap that goes from 13 hp single cylinder to 18 hp twin cylinder. Does anyone know if it is possible to tune the smaller engine up to run this pump. The smaller engine is less expensive to buy, and I assume it is less expensive to maintain because it iw single cylinder. Also, does anyone have experience with the 16hp Kohler single cylinder? Thanks a lot

there are 16hp Honda single knockoffs on ebay for $250, they take and stroke a 13hp block and gain the extra 3hp... but IMO I would jst run the 13hp, it is not like you are producing full pressure all the time, 95% of the time while splitting the pressure is 500-1500 PSI unless you are using a 4 way or trying to split a crotch

NELOG, I don't know a dang thing about what you plan to build but the time to do it right is the first time. Build it as big and bad as you can you will never regret it.

I bought a whole riding mower with a shot transaxle for $150 with a great running 19 horse Briggs and Stratton on it and used it for my log splitter. I mounted the same 28 gpm pump to it and have been happy ever since. Might be another option for you, I know these projects get spendy in a hurry.

I would error to the larger sized motor. I understand you are trying to save a buck, but all the money you spent on that pump is going to waste the efficiancy of the pump, longer cycle times because you are kicking in and out of the second stage. I am running that same pump behind a 27hp motor. I would suggest you either pony up the money and get the 18hp minimum, or drop down to the 22gpm pump and run the 13hp motor. But thats just me.

how much wood per month or year are going split. how big of wood
will it be, hard or softwood or both, how long do you to spend spliting
wood,
18 hp or more with that 28 GPM PUMP,

I would error to the larger sized motor. I understand you are trying to save a buck, but all the money you spent on that pump is going to waste the efficiancy of the pump, longer cycle times because you are kicking in and out of the second stage. I am running that same pump behind a 27hp motor. I would suggest you either pony up the money and get the 18hp minimum, or drop down to the 22gpm pump and run the 13hp motor. But thats just me.

What he said.

If you try to run a large pump with not enough HP, not only will you have issues splitting, but you will be taxing the motor while its just idling.

What he said.

If you try to run a large pump with not enough HP, not only will you have issues splitting, but you will be taxing the motor while its just idling.

And a 22 gpm pump will be giving a plenty fast cycle time unless the cylinder is huge. Cylinders don't need to but 4 or 5" diameter. More than that is only overkill and braggin rights.

Harry K

We had a log splitter when I was kid that did not have a big enough engine. What a pain . I worked for 90% of the wood just fine but what do you do with that 10% that it wont split? Go with the bigger engine you wont regret it.

I agree, with the rest, go with the bigger engine, I too am running the 28 GPM pump you are talking about but I am using an antique wisconsin 2 cylinder rated at 18hp....

I have experiance with the Kohler 10,14, & 16 hp K series.... good engines, but i would go bigger. you will split faster and your engine will last longer. like it was said, you can often get rider mowers cheep, just yank the engine and gauges and bring the rest in for scrap.

Latest posts

Back