Splitter photos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
engine rpm

That's a cool set up. How many RPM does the engine run?

I'm not too sure, I think it is at 3/4 throttle. I have no tach on it and I usually just wedge a piece of wood under the throttle lever until it sounds good and go from there. I really need to change the pulley setup so I can just let the thing idle, but then again all changes cost money unless I find some more free parts.

This one is cool
vedanim.gif

http://user.tninet.se/~onv570l/emeco_vedklipp.htm

My Timberwolf TW-5

Sorry I didn't get more pics, but it's hard to hold the camera and run the tractor/splitter at the same time. The tractor picked up the pieces and set them on the lift platform or directly on the splitter, depending on which was safer/easier. Wood is from lightning-struck white oak that I felled about 1 week prior.

Beaver

A few pics of my homebuilt. This is #7 and last of a batch we built in a farm equipment manufacturer's shop. They improved as we went but there is one glaring mistake that I will point out.

cid_5C6422F60ECC11DB91FDF4F20CDF-1.jpg

Used 3 1/2" sq tube for the armature with 4" slip tubing (no ridge inside) for the slide. That was the stuff we used for the tongues and frames. As you can see, we had to add a 2" tube underneath to take the 'give' out of the 3 1/2" tube under load - it would deflect quit a bit without it.

Pump is unknown gallonage but I suspect in the mid teens. Mine is painted over so I can't read the plate. Motor is Briggs 6x1 reduction 5 or 6 hp (305 cc). Those were the things we used to build the hydro power packs on the equipment. Cycle time is not fast but it will keep one guy hopping feeding it.
Throat is 19 1/2". I was aiming for a 21" but somehow my figures slipped somewhere in calculating the set up. The ram is a 4 x 18". The Push plate does not contact the wedge - that was intentional. Any thing that doesn't split all the way, just back off the ram in insert a chunk of split wood behind the block. Happens rarely.

Big difference between mine and the previous 6 is location of axle. Way aft to keep the running gear out of the way of the operator. Very nice that way but the tongue weight is high. I use a trailer dolly to shift it around the work area.

Wedge-2.jpg

Shot of the wedge with "wings". That works well, the blade begins the split and the wing forces the wood apart. Rarely have to run all the way through except on knots or stringy. The "knife edge" will only contact the wood as it enters the block (except for knots) - once the split begins, it runs ahead of the edge. That is true of any splitter, even one without 'wings'. Were I to do it over, I would make the 'blade' portion longer and start the 'wings' back further.

cid_9A8C316A0ECA11DB993EBEF7CFF086B.jpg

And there is the screw-up. I still, after 20 years, can't understand how we were so stupid to build them that low. I am 'sorta' planning to cut it apart with my 4" grinder (not all that much weld to do) and hire a guy with portable welder to come and raise it 9". I also need to either replace or rebuild the engine - it is pretty well clapped out. I do have an 11 hp Briggs that has had only a few hours use on it. May use it.

For anyone planning one I recommend:

Wings on the wedge but it does complicate putting 4-way on it.
Build it so the working surface is about waist height.
Keep the axle/wheels out of the operator's way. I don't think that is reasonable possible with a 'tip-up' model though.
Put in/out feed table on it!!!

My cost was that of the hydraulic hoses/fittings. I suspect the company had quite a bill on it.

Harry K

Last edited:
why not just put taller tires on it???? redo the spindles????

Would have to be some huge tires. What are on it are, I think, 14" to raise
9" would take an 18" larger overall diameter.

I also need to off set the axle some to get a bit more working room around the motor...especially if I replace it with a bigger motor. As it is, I can barely fit a very small funnel in to add oil - got too focused on 'tree' vice 'forest' while building it.

Harry K

My Splitter that has gone thru 4 generations. The lights are a welcome addition with the short days we have now.

Bob

true.

it looks well built, sturdy and designed nice and "clean".

but, those wheels............

Here's mine. It splits in both directions. The wedge is not currently installed.

Last edited:
Alright, I'd like to see more of those splitter photos please. Don't be shy. Anyone have any electric splitters or air/hydraulic or even hand (or foot) operated ones? Extra credit given to home-made units too.

Let's see um!

not home made but sure makes it easy wood pile is all white oak covered in cherry

This is my homebuilt. 8HP briggs electric start, 16 gpm 2 stage pump, 5" x 24" ram, electric log lift and removable working table.

Latest posts

Back