Splitter photos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jags,

Very nice job with this splitter. I really like the log lift.

I have a very similar design on paper for a log lift for my impact splitter. Since I use 110v to run the splitter, I would use a 110v winch. I assume yours is a 12v winch. I have the winch at the end of the splitter because the wedge moves in my design. Otherwise a very similar design.

Thanks for posting the pics.

jags,

Very nice job with this splitter. I really like the log lift.

I have a very similar design on paper for a log lift for my impact splitter. Since I use 110v to run the splitter, I would use a 110v winch. I assume yours is a 12v winch. I have the winch at the end of the splitter because the wedge moves in my design. Otherwise a very similar design.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks kellog. I have followed your splitter threads as well. The lift is powered by a 1500# 12V winch from HF. Just make sure a power in/out is used so that you can control the speed when you are dropping the log lifter back down. Never met a 20" long log that it didn't lift easily (even at 30 dia.). I have a 12V deep cycle battery for starting and the log lift. Have never wore down the battery in a days work, no matter how many times I start the engine or run the lift (the charging system from the engine does not work).

Farmersid,

Very clean fabrication. You must be meticulous with your work. Don't forget to post pics or video of the finished product working.

jags,

thanks for the design guidance. I probably won't get to building it until next year but as I do I may call on you for technical assistance if necessary. Sounds like you have that slick design mastered.

A pic of my father's tractor mounted splitter. Homemade by him.

DSCF0114.jpg

Just getting started

Here is a few pics of our Splitter, ordered the 4" Northern Tool kit and going to mount it on a bracket to attach to a Case Backhoe. We had an old splitter not used in 15 years, so this new project will utilize the beam and stop plate. My father in law is good with welding, machinist type work, he has a few hours in what we have so far.... I will post some pics as we attach it to the backhoe, as I understand we will control from the cab hydrolics using the pump on the backhoe.

We were looking at a Wallenstein WX350 verticle three point model, but then decided to try the Nothern Tool route.

splitter1_400.jpg

splitter2_400.jpg

splitter3_400.jpg

splitter4_400.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Let me know how you like the four way. I'm thinking about getting it for my splitter.

My son and I spent New Years day adding a production table to an old John Deere splitter I found for $200. Everything used to make the table was stuff laying around the shop. We used the southern pine 4x4's because of the light weight, strength and of course no cost. The big gaps in the table allow all the crap to fall through and the wood stays handy.

Ken05 - That is a good idea, keeps the split halves within reach if you want to split them again. Looks like you and your son had a good day!! I saw a $60 metal table someone mentioned in another thread on eBay, user 33Flame, same concept.

We also worked New Years day in the shop, high of 23 outdoors, but with the wind it felt like 7. I should have 'in use' pictures this weekend with the splitter attached to the Case backhoe (it will pin on instead of the rear bucket and sit sideways). We got everything measured and tack welded with the mig. We should be splitting Saturday!

photo disclaimer: welding pic shot from the waist, not looking through the viewfinder... lucky action shot...

splitter5_400.jpg

splitter6_400.jpg

Last edited:
this is our splitting area..
splitter under cover, bucking table attached......

the sawmill is inside the blue covered area.

Pict3499.jpg

John

Last edited:
City Slicker, John Deere doesn't build splitters. The "John Deere" splitter in the above pics was acutally built by Didier Mfg. They made splitters sold under a number of brands including Deere, Sears, Montgomery Wards.......

I don't have a picture right now' but I use a Woodmizer LT 40 HD sawmill to split mine. I put the log up and center the blade on it and make the first cut then rotate the log 1/4 turn and make the second cut these 2 cuts take just a couple of mins. I the cut the poles to the length that I want and stack the on pallets to be hauled to the woodshed.

Didier eh? cool info there Boostnut. Yeah, it is a pretty generic machine. Looks like the base models they sell for $999 now.
But, I put a green piece of green 24" red oak - with knots - on the old thing and it split it. Start in from the edge of course.
Plus it's cool that it says JD on the side.

Latest posts

Back