Splitter photos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backhoe splitter finished

We tried out the Backhoe splitter today, had great results, here is a post with Video and Picture links.....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59485

backhoe1_400.jpg

backhoe2_400.jpg

Damn your really really cheating there:censored: . I am surprised you don't have a quick attach there for that splitter and a grapple to load it all with. But it looks great I wish I could have something that neat:clap:

cabinman,,
yes the table is my bucking table,,, the saw is mounted to the table via a 1.25'' square stock, it pivots and slides up and down.... the table is covered in sheet metal, therefore, its easy to slide the log along to the next cut, i then let it roll down the ramp to the splitter, there linda takes over, splits and loads into the pallets,,3/4 face cord per pallet

thanks
john

8" structural steel for beam with heavy 3" angle iron welded on the top to make the slide.....

I've got $900 into it with a new 5hp honda, and 2 stage pump.

Not a power house but it works well for my needs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A little progress on mine. I have to weld the ends in the tank and build a table for both sides clean and paint. Engine is 17hp qs kohler, 5'' cylinder and 22gpm barnes pump. This will be the last splitter I build and should last my boy most of his life.

sdnomad: the suction hose looks like it might be a bit tight radius, just starting to collapse inward. maybe the light on the pics. if you feel slight bulges on the outer jacket on the inside of the bend, its too tight.

and a pressure gauge, yes! wish more people did that or at least put the test qc ports. so many 'it don't work' questions are clear with a pressure reading.

not being picky, I just design hydr for a living and notice the small details.

very nice unit.

kcj

My friend there forgot to mention you should also try to rotate your filter assembly down. Rowan are you going to utilize your 8X8 beam for additional hydraulic fluid storage?

Suction hose

sdnomad: the suction hose looks like it might be a bit tight radius, just starting to collapse inward. maybe the light on the pics. if you feel slight bulges on the outer jacket on the inside of the bend, its too tight.

and a pressure gauge, yes! wish more people did that or at least put the test qc ports. so many 'it don't work' questions are clear with a pressure reading.

not being picky, I just design hydr for a living and notice the small details.

very nice unit.

kcj

Kevin, I was wondering about the flow of that hose as well, I thought It was a Larqe radius, and should flow quite well, My question to you is, Whats better,? If he used a 90 degree fitting on the pump and then a shorter hose,? often times there aint room for that big loop,.Id like to know your opinion on the flow factor as pictured in the pic versis, using ONE nighty on the pump, I also think that might not be a true suction wire wound hose, either way, He did a fantistic job building that splitter, T,C, E,J,

kevin j,
For the splitter in the attached pic the manufacturer claims 28 tons with 4 to7 second cycle time with 9hp. engine. The pump appears to be a single stage pump.
Their specs,
Honda engine 9 hp
Drive multiplier producer
Self-propelled
Splitting lenght 18 to 26 inches
according to model.
Table 24 x 48 inches
Cycle 4 to 7 seconds
Machine drive - 28 tons

My question is how can they get that tonnage and cycle time with only a 9 hp. engine.

nighty degree fitting

Kevin, I was wondering about the flow of that hose as well, I thought It was a Larqe radius, and should flow quite well, My question to you is, Whats better,? If he used a 90 degree fitting on the pump and then a shorter hose,? often times there aint room for that big loop,.Id like to know your opinion on the flow factor as pictured in the pic versis, using ONE nighty on the pump, I also think that might not be a true suction wire wound hose, either way, He did a fantistic job building that splitter, T,C, E,J,

Kevin the Question was , how much does (ONE) 90 degree fitting affect the flow versis , a large loop as pictured, Is there charts that have this data, Or do you have flow test equipment ?, Id like to find charts with flow data, Thanks E,J,

Who

kevin j,
For the splitter in the attached pic the manufacturer claims 28 tons with 4 to7 second cycle time with 9hp. engine. The pump appears to be a single stage pump.
Their specs,
Honda engine 9 hp
Drive multiplier producer
Self-propelled
Splitting lenght 18 to 26 inches
according to model.
Table 24 x 48 inches
Cycle 4 to 7 seconds
Machine drive - 28 tons

My question is how can they get that tonnage and cycle time with only a 9 hp. engine.
Trip Who builds that splitter? is that the one Ive seen with dual stations, T,C, E,J,

I will answer some of these questions for Kevin since he is working.
Most manufactures over rate there tonnage and speed a good way to understand what each part can do is use a simple online calculator. http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

how much does (ONE) 90 degree fitting affect the flow versis , a large loop as pictured, Is there charts that have this data
Usually one 90 degree fitting will not affect flow in any significant way, Yes there are charts out there as well as system design software.
http://productsearch.machinedesign.com/calculators/loss-in-fluid-lines

Last edited:
what he said.....

FORCE & HP
Tons is only pressure times cylinder area. You can get 100 tons with a porta power, but no speed, if the cylinder is big enough.

Closed side area is ( (bore diameter) x (bore diameter) x 3.14159) / 4
Rod side, same calcs for the rod steel area, then subtract for net area.

How they get the tons? The box store units often rate at 3000 psi, when the relief valve in the valve is set at 2500 psi, and the cylinder is rated for 2500 psi. To me, that either indicates gross ignorance, or gross dishonesty.

At 2500 psi, with no back pressure on rod side,
4 inch bore = 15.7 tons, 4.5 bore = 19.9 tons
5 inch bore 24.5 tons 6 inch bore = 35 tons.

at 3000 psi, of course everything is 3000/2500 or 20% more force.

Speed is flow (gpm) divided by area. Bigger cylinder moves slower.

Horsepower is flow times pressure. A small motor will move 100 gpm but no pressure, or 1 gpm at high pressure.

Hp is (gpm ) x (psi) / 1714 theoretical, or divide by 1500 to account for losses, plus its easier to remember.

So the two stage pump is high flow, low pressure = hp. Then large section unloads, and small section is low flow, high pressure = same hp.

I split pretty small wood, usually 24 inch maximum, and usually mobile, not at a wood lot. So my main complaint is always speed, not force. For my usage 4 inch is plenty big, and light enough to move easily. I want lots of hp not for tons, but to get fast speeds while pushing some good pressures.

So, you can have a 3.5 hp 50 ton unit, or a 20 hp 10 ton unit- Cylinder and pressure are force, while engine and pump are hp.

ELBOW
There are charts and formulas, but in most mobile equipment, the variables of temperature, viscosity, exact type of fittings, etc make it a moot point. Usually design for suction size of pump or larger. Pump mfr tend to be optimistic. Although rated pump at 3600 rpm, the suction may be high at that speed with cold oil.

A screwed in 90 fitting is much higher pressure drop than a ‘bent stem’ 90 where it makes a sweeping bend from tubing or hose end.

Given the choice, better to have a 90 at the tank, and straight into the pump, as the flow into the gearset is less turbulent, but at these flows and hours of use no big deal.

Your hose is good routing for flow. Even a bent stem 90 out of the tank will have more restriction than straight fittings and smooth hose. Bent stem maybe equal roughly 3 feet of hose, a sharp 90 maybe equal 5 -10 ft of hose. Just off top of my head.

If you need a 90 at pump, not the end of the world, but a bent piece of tubing would be better. Another option is upsizing the elbow and hose, but not really necessary.

These are ‘good practice’ things but not the kiss of death. Unless you have a half inch suction hose, etc.

BTW, restricted suction does not decrease pump flow unless it is truly into blockage or cavitation. Just high vacuum conditions does not decrease pump flow, it is positive displacement after all. With enough blockage and serious cavitation, yes, pump flow is reduced but it will be very noisy.

kcj

Back