Splitter upgrading

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulinNY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their splitters and gotten any worthwhile results for the effort. I got a 22TON Swisher that runs and splits everything that i have ever thrown at it. 30 to 40 cords over two years. Ive got some parts for a splitter that i was building from scratch that i gave up on. Currently running a Briggs 6.5 but have an 11HP Honda and a 9 HP honda knockoff never used. Would there be a considerable increase in speed if matched up with a 16GPM pump?
Thanks

I believe the Swisher 22 ton has a 11gpm pump and 4" bore cylinder. If you change the pump to 16 gpm with either of the larger engines you will increase speed by about 1/3. Tonnage will not change.

Hummm... I dunno. If every thing is running well I wouldn't mess with it. And I'm pretty sure more HP wouldn't make it run that much faster anyway.

why fix it if it isn't broke?

save the parts for when it does break down.

It's going to run alot faster but you are asking for some real problems and maybe some injury. I'd leave things alone if I were you.

Does your splitters detent valve have auto return? I upgraded my valve with the Prince 3000. Auto return is a nice feature. Also I replaced my Briggs and Stratton with a Honda.

View attachment 80670

upgrade

Its got a detent return and splits like a champ. Its just that ive got parts already and have so much to split. I was hoping to speed things up a bit. The tonnage is plenty.

Has anyone upgraded their splitters and gotten any worthwhile results for the effort. I got a 22TON Swisher that runs and splits everything that i have ever thrown at it. 30 to 40 cords over two years. Ive got some parts for a splitter that i was building from scratch that i gave up on. Currently running a Briggs 6.5 but have an 11HP Honda and a 9 HP honda knockoff never used. Would there be a considerable increase in speed if matched up with a 16GPM pump?
Thanks

No increase in speed unless you get an increase in rpm's....
Do you know what rpm's you are running on current engine??
At what rpm's is your pump rated 16gpm??
read this thread for hints....http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79311

No increase in speed unless you get an increase in rpm's....
Do you know what rpm's you are running on current engine??
At what rpm's is your pump rated 16gpm??
read this thread for hints....http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79311

Wrong there,as triptest said, if you switch to a higher volume of pump with a bigger engine to push it, you are going to get higher speeds. Think about it, a higher flow will fill the cylinder faster, giving you more speed. To increase tonnage, you need a bigger cylinder. The bigger the piston/cylinder, the larger area receiving the volume of fluid. Resulting in higher tonnage,but less speed.

Wrong there,as triptest said, if you switch to a higher volume of pump with a bigger engine to push it, you are going to get higher speeds. Think about it, a higher flow will fill the cylinder faster, giving you more speed. To increase tonnage, you need a bigger cylinder. The bigger the piston/cylinder, the larger area receiving the volume of fluid. Resulting in higher tonnage,but less speed.

Sorry there, I thought he already had 16gpm pump and only uppgrading engine. Yes there will be an increase in speed. That splitter is all dimensioned for a 11gpm flow, almost 50% increase on flow is big..... to avoid overheating, might have to upgrade hoses and fittings.....Is reservoir big enough for cooling capacity??? Check hose size rcommendations on this diagramhttp://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=NomographicChart.pdf&folder=brochure

Latest posts

Back