Standing/Staking a Blow Down Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnichols

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We had a derecho come through our part of Iowa 2 weeks ago. Lost most of our quality/favorite trees unfortunately as well as some of our Spruce windbreak trees. This particular one was the least damaged. Any of you had a similar tree that you stood back up/staked, and it survived? I like asking questions I’m pretty sure I already know the answer too . Your opinion would be appreciated.
18B2B8DC-9BDF-455B-BDBA-67A0BCF8ED8B.jpeg

Had two Leyland Cypress trees come down from hurricane Ivan in 2004. Stood them back up and staked them with ropes for a year. The ground was saturated from the rain which may have aided in their survival. The trees were planted in 1999. Ironically, they are only two out of the twenty or so that have survived the drought we had in 2016.

I was in Cedar Rapids helping some on Friday night. What a terrible storm that was. I hope the professionals give you good news on the tree.

We had a derecho come through our part of Iowa 2 weeks ago. Lost most of our quality/favorite trees unfortunately as well as some of our Spruce windbreak trees. This particular one was the least damaged. Any of you had a similar tree that you stood back up/staked, and it survived? I like asking questions I’m pretty sure I already know the answer too . Your opinion would be appreciated.
View attachment 850461
You could try
If there's enough roots left to feed the tree it could survive
It might benefit from extra watering but dont leave it with soaking feet constantly or your roots will rot
The sooner its back in the ground and watered the better chance of it living

Well, thanks for the replies fellas. I asked after the fact as I removed it last Saturday. I talked to several guys in our area that had tried it in similar situations with no luck. The rootball was not exposed on this tree as were the other 2, however, it pulled easily as it appeared that most of the root structure was broken. Kinda feel bad that maybe I should have tried to save it.

@husqhawk8 , it was/is a mess for sure. We’re 15 miles straight east of Cedar Rapids.

Well, thanks for the replies fellas. I asked after the fact as I removed it last Saturday. I talked to several guys in our area that had tried it in similar situations with no luck. The rootball was not exposed on this tree as were the other 2, however, it pulled easily as it appeared that most of the root structure was broken. Kinda feel bad that maybe I should have tried to save it.

@husqhawk8 , it was/is a mess for sure. We’re 15 miles straight east of Cedar Rapids.
That's a shame. The lack of rain the last few weeks didn't help it's survival chances. I drove through Clarence last week and it was horrible.

That's a shame. The lack of rain the last few weeks didn't help it's survival chances. I drove through Clarence last week and it was horrible.
I was through there about 2 days after the storm. That was probably worst concentrated damage I had seen.

Latest posts

Back