Started my splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was more concerned about having a solid platform when using the log lift. Didn't want it bouncing.

Mudstopper I am using a dump from splitez splitters. I am up sizing all lines, suction , and return. No 90's should keep the heat down plus having 35 gallons of hydraulic will help hope I'm on the right track.

I was more concerned about having a solid platform when using the log lift. Didn't want it bouncing.
yup thats what i wanted too, i didnt want to have to deal with stablizer legs and the like... i think it would be fine as long as you dont fly down rough roads.

Mudstopper I am using a dump from splitez splitters. I am up sizing all lines, suction , and return. No 90's should keep the heat down plus having 35 gallons of hydraulic will help hope I'm on the right track.

You get your pump from splitez also, It seems they have some pretty good prices.
I used 3/4hoses all the way thru on my machine. I dont have a autocycle valve, just a regular splitter valve. My tank is on the small size, 15gal cap. Tank size will help a bunch with cooling, and the dump valve will help with speed. Yea, I think your on the right track

Eric, I used a 7,000 lb mobile home axle, springs with 8 ply tires. There is a 5' spacing between the springs. The tongue goes under the out-feed tables. I do not have any other stabilizers & it is stable while the log lift is in use. I also use the log lift for a staging table so it has quite a bit of weight on it. This is a normal load in the photo.

Staged Rounds.jpg

Looks real good Oliver. Down the road if I have problems with my hubs I will change to a torsion axle. I think the hubs I used will hold up though. If you look at post #88 in the second pic the hub fits into that counter bore. It goes in there .550 and it has a two thousandths clearance. So it is supporting the weight and the bolts basically hold it in place.

I agree you shouldn't have any problems. :)

This info was to help others who are considering building a splitter. You are going to have an amazing splitter when you are done! :rock:

Thanks Oliver !!! There are so many ways to do things and having never built one it is easy to start thinking oh I should have I done this or that. Lol !!!!!! My one major mess up was back in post # 31 when I had do some rework. The other thing is I need to slow down a little I get to hurrying. I am at 81hours now in this build. I plan during the week and jam on Saturday and part of Sunday. Thanks to all who have commented and given advice and shared their successes and failures. Sure does help a bunch.

Looks real good Oliver. Down the road if I have problems with my hubs I will change to a torsion axle. I think the hubs I used will hold up though. If you look at post #88 in the second pic the hub fits into that counter bore. It goes in there .550 and it has a two thousandths clearance. So it is supporting the weight and the bolts basically hold it in place.
the issue with that type of hub is not the mount to the axle, its the bearings, usually if it goes bad, and you dont catch it in time, the bearings fall apart and the spindle can fall right out of the housing, and thats even more of an issue if their overloaded. those are one of the worst things to happen to cars/trucks.
they are almost always rusted to the knuckle or axle, and have to be pressed, or beaten out, if theyre loose, they need to be replaced, they cant be adjusted, i hate the damn things. tapered roller bearing spindles and hubs are soo much stronger and last alot longer, and cheap and easy to fix.
i have em on the front axle of my dodge 3500 diesel, as soon as they go, its getting free spin hubs, with manual lock in's, and ill never need to replace the bearings again...

I used a Dodge K car rear axle with trailer springs. I have stabilizer jacks for the rear when splitting so it doesn't wobble.
splitter-04.jpg

JT

I have basically the exact set up you are planning on and have no heat problems. Using 3/4 lines, dump valve and long sweep 90's when it has to be done. Plan your layout to avoid as many as possible on the pressure side of things. James at Splitez is the best!

5a5eqapy.jpg

Side plates installed.
9eqe5uhe.jpg

View from the side.
yjejuta5.jpg

Log lift and cylinder mounts tacked in place. I am going to put some plate on it. Just waiting for the cylinder to make sure no changes are needed.
yha3a4an.jpg

Another view of the lift.

Latest posts

Back