Started my splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2875c227ddc115fd9dd733d0e9d2654e.jpg

Getting holes drilled to mount hydraulic tank.

fc4f79aa727970664d79ca44caaf01fc.jpg

Engine mounted and pump coupled to it.

b5c9d630c8f0e91863ba72258b2e4483.jpg

I have a near perfect fit. Shafts are concentric within a thousandth.

Give me some opinions on fuel tanks. I am thinking either fab one up out of stainless or buy a 6 gal polyethylene plastic one from US plastics.

Hmmm...will the stainless have anymore problem with condensation that the poly tank? I don't really know the answer so I throw that out to the masses.

I had an 11hp engine on my splitter & used maybe 3.5 - 4 gallons in a long day of splitting. That engine had a catastrophic failure & there is now a 13 hp engine on the splitter. It may use 5-6 gallons in a long day's worth of splitting.

If the 6 gallon Poly tank will meet your needs & the space available, I would imagine it will be the most cost effective option.

Many tractors (not just the smaller ones) use plastic fuel tanks. I can't see any problems if it's properly attached and from what I see of your fabricating skills that would be the least of your worries. Also, it would free you up to building on the splitter instead of the tank.
By the way, great job on the build.
I will add that when you're finished you should consider fabricating a conveyor for that machine or you'll need many hands on the end to keep the grate from constantly overflowing.

Thanks to all for the input. I'm going with the poly tank. Going to order it in the am. Thanks to all for the compliments. I appreciate them.

It looks a little flimsy but it will probably work for you. I want one just like it! Haha

Little update. The poly gas tank is out of stock. I am going with stainless steel. Got a piece of scrap from the laser burners for free plenty to make the tank and control box for ignition, etc.

4ec0d20d3ab458204fec3cca80cf67af.jpg

Made my own stainless tank fittings. They were $90 to buy with shipping. So it was an easy decision. Lol.

c38ab1db6d3478ea6e0f392460e29000.jpg

Stainless fuel tank ready to weld in the morning. Bottom left fitting goes to engine. The two On the right are for a sight tube fuel gauge.

Latest posts

Back