Started my splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric K

Eric K

ArboristSite Operative
2875c227ddc115fd9dd733d0e9d2654e.jpg

Getting holes drilled to mount hydraulic tank.

fc4f79aa727970664d79ca44caaf01fc.jpg

Engine mounted and pump coupled to it.

b5c9d630c8f0e91863ba72258b2e4483.jpg

I have a near perfect fit. Shafts are concentric within a thousandth.

Eric K

Eric K

ArboristSite Operative
Give me some opinions on fuel tanks. I am thinking either fab one up out of stainless or buy a 6 gal polyethylene plastic one from US plastics.

Oliver1655

Oliver1655

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had an 11hp engine on my splitter & used maybe 3.5 - 4 gallons in a long day of splitting. That engine had a catastrophic failure & there is now a 13 hp engine on the splitter. It may use 5-6 gallons in a long day's worth of splitting.

If the 6 gallon Poly tank will meet your needs & the space available, I would imagine it will be the most cost effective option.

archertwo

archertwo

ArboristSite Member
Many tractors (not just the smaller ones) use plastic fuel tanks. I can't see any problems if it's properly attached and from what I see of your fabricating skills that would be the least of your worries. Also, it would free you up to building on the splitter instead of the tank.
By the way, great job on the build.
I will add that when you're finished you should consider fabricating a conveyor for that machine or you'll need many hands on the end to keep the grate from constantly overflowing.

Eric K

Eric K

ArboristSite Operative
Little update. The poly gas tank is out of stock. I am going with stainless steel. Got a piece of scrap from the laser burners for free plenty to make the tank and control box for ignition, etc.