Steel toe boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Before I go and buy just any old steel toe boot, I thought I'd ask; you people are so knowledgeable! I have never worn a steel toe boot, even though I was raised on a farm. We just wore leather boots; luckily, I never had a foot injury. But, cutting firewood, hmmm. I would prefer to have pull-on boots because they are easier to put on and take off, rather than lace-up, but I'm open. Anyone have any preferences or tips? With cutting wood around here, I would also think a bit of waterproofing would be good.

EDIT: I am thinking that these (high) prices that I see are a bit too much for me, since this would be limited use. I am hoping to find a lower price boot that I like. If not, I'll just have to pay up. I love my Ariat Wellington roper style boots, I will see if they make a steel toe version. Oops, I just looked at Ariat steel toe; they are pretty pricey.

I've got hi-test, redwings, and a pair from D&H?(from memory). My preference is the redwings. I like the ones with a wider toe area, personally. What I'd say about steel toes is make sure they're comfortable as the toe size is fixed. If you get a little dehydrated or are working pretty hard your feet can swell, so I get them comfortable and adjust the fit with socks if need be. I have wellingtons(pull on) and lace up, but the wellingtons tend to have a more narrow toe so I find the wide toe lace-ups my preference when I'm doing a lot of walking/moving around. Water proof is nice. Finally, expect to drop some coin both for quality and longevity around 150.00 to 225.00 are what I pay for mine but you can go up from there too. On the Redwings, about half their line is made in china now if that matters to you-I think the black labels are chinese but not certain. Almost forgot, the steel toes did save me from an injury once. I was walking the log and cutting with the nose. Just a little bind sent the bar tip across my toe and cut out a perfect groove across the steel, but for the most part if you take your time and are cautious you should be ok.

I bought the Red Wings and I like them fine. Mine are US-made. There was a problem with the first pair that I didn't discover for a while, and they replaced it with minimal hassle. They were available in narrow width, so they fit me right instead of my feet slopping around from side to side. They have a sophisticated measurement system in the store that matches up insole shapes with the shape of the bottom of your foot and how your distribute your weight.

All this, as Big Jake already pointed out, comes at a price. But you get what you pay for.

I have some Caroline steel toe logging boots, they lace up a little higher on your ankle than most boots, and have kinda a high heel. I'm having serious leg pain from these.. but not when I'm wearing them, but when I take them off and walk around with no shoes or normal shoes.. It seems like my leg muscles adjusted to the position my legs are in when wearing them all day and most of the evening for 3 years... I'm throwing them out and getting some with a lower heel. Timberland makes all different styles and look pretty comfortable.

I work in underground utility and dig holes by hand a lot. I've truer every boot out there it seams. I've tried Redwing, Carolina, Brama, hoffman's and some others I can't remember. I prefer a 10" lace up because it provides more ankle support them a slip on. The more money you spend generally means the more happy/ better quality you'll get. I prefer hoffman's because after break-in, the felt like I was wearing tennis shoes. Carolina, get the the made in USA only. If it don't say that, the quality slips drasticlly. Brama boots from Walmart only lasted me 3 months.
If your new to the whole leather work boot, it's trial and error finding the right one that fits like a dream on your foot and your wallet.

Try Thorogood as I've been very happy with mine. A lot cheaper than Redwing and just as good. I don't know what styles they have as all I wear is lace-ups, soft toe, and wedge soles. Mine are made in USA also!

Before I go and buy just any old steel toe boot, I thought I'd ask; you people are so knowledgeable! I have never worn a steel toe boot, even though I was raised on a farm. We just wore leather boots; luckily, I never had a foot injury. But, cutting firewood, hmmm. I would prefer to have pull-on boots because they are easier to put on and take off, rather than lace-up, but I'm open. Anyone have any preferences or tips? With cutting wood around here, I would also think a bit of waterproofing would be good.

EDIT: I am thinking that these (high) prices that I see are a bit too much for me, since this would be limited use. I am hoping to find a lower price boot that I like. If not, I'll just have to pay up. I love my Ariat Wellington roper style boots, I will see if they make a steel toe version. Oops, I just looked at Ariat steel toe; they are pretty pricey.
made in america, I bought mine for 149 on sale.
http://www.midwestboots.com/midwest...=Thorogood&page=1&filter.toeoption=Safety Toe
I dont lace up and tie my boots each day I just leave them tied and unhook the laces its faster than tying tennis shoes

If these are to be used while chain sawing, you need chain saw boots, not just steel toe boots. Chain saw boots have steel toes, but not all steel toe boots are chain saw boots. If waterproof is also a want, get rubber chainsaw boots. If I wasn't on a crappy tablet right now, I'd throw up a link.

I have Georgia Boots with the stacked heel and a set of Timberlands which aren't a full length boot. The timberlands are more comfortable but I like both sets for different reasons.

If these are to be used while chain sawing, you need chain saw boots, not just steel toe boots. Chain saw boots have steel toes, but not all steel toe boots are chain saw boots. If waterproof is also a want, get rubber chainsaw boots. If I wasn't on a crappy tablet right now, I'd throw up a link.

Thanks for the info. Is this a chainsaw boot? It has steel toe and is waterproof.

http://www.georgiaboot.com/logger-b...f-logger-boot/G7313.html?dwvar_G7313_color=20

Even though I felt partial to pull on style boots, I got to thinking about it, and you know how when you cut a downed tree, you are stepping all over a bunch of limbs that got under the tree when it fell? That makes for unstable footing, and a pull-on boot doesn't give as much support as a lace-up boot. So, I might need to change my mind on that.

EDIT: Yikes, I see some 'chainsaw boots' at Baileys and they are $300 - $400. That's too much for me. I guess a 'chainsaw boot' supposed to protect your foot from the saw if it hits it?

If I was gonna run a saw a bunch, like for a living I'd be looking into a boot with metatarsal protection and full waterproofing. I wore a pair of meta. boots for work and they're a little heavy but offer superior foot coverage.

I am on my second pair of Schmidts from TSC. I have tried wolverine, cat, Georgia, and others. I'm terribly hard on boots, and finding a pair to last me over 6 months has proven to be difficult. My last pair of schmidts I got 14 months out of. I only bought a new pair because I have a bad habit of dragging my right heel, and wore it down to nothing. The pair I just picked up are ankle height, waterproof, and come with a removable insole. I think they ran me around $85.

Jeff

I have some Caroline steel toe logging boots, they lace up a little higher on your ankle than most boots, and have kinda a high heel. I'm having serious leg pain from these.. but not when I'm wearing them, but when I take them off and walk around with no shoes or normal shoes.. It seems like my leg muscles adjusted to the position my legs are in when wearing them all day and most of the evening for 3 years... I'm throwing them out and getting some with a lower heel. Timberland makes all different styles and look pretty comfortable.

I was gonna pull a funny by downloading a picture of a Carolina boot and photoshopping a stiletto heel onto it, but you know, now that I see them, I really don't need to:

CA9823-370x414_Profile.jpg

That picture comes straight from Carolina's own website; this particular boot is called "Men's 8” Steel Toe Waterproof Logger - CA9823." The website description sets this up as exactly the kind of straight-up work boot we're talking about here - steel toe, steel shank, waterproof, electrical hazard rated - but man, that heel makes it look like someone's idea of a fashion boot. I'd feel like Elton John walking around in those. I'm not surprised they're giving you trouble.

@livemusic I own a pair of Carolinas and I like them. I only put up about 5-6 cords a year so I am not wearing them every day. They are good steel toe boots for the average homeowner/woodburner

I hate steel toe boots. They are heavy. I only have one pair that I got because they were rubber calks and at a low price. They are heavy and bulky. Wear normal boots and pay attention to where your feet are. I do not think any professional fallers:bowdown: out here wear steel toed boots, except in the winter when they have the low cost calks like I have on. But since fallers:bowdown: are rich guys, most actually spend the big bucks and get the pack boots for winter--without steel toes.

I repeat, pay attention to where your feet are, where your saw bar is, and don't get in a hurry.

I have to wear safety toe boots for work. I have gone to composite toe boots as they meet the ASTM standard my employer requires. I tried the Danner Vicious 8" NMT boot. Too comfortable, can't last I thought. I bought a second pair to get ready for winter anticipating the first pair wouldn't last. The second pair is still in the box. I've been wearing the first pair for about 14 months in a job where my $300 boots usually last 6 months. The guys at work aren't laughing at my "sneaker boots" anymore!

Unless it's some special occansion, like a wedding, all I wear is steel toe boots. Doesn't matter if I'm out cutting wood, in the shop sweeping the floor, mowing the lawn, etc. If I need to have shoes in, it's steel toe boots.

About 10 years ago I just had on a pair of regular boots (old basic training boots actually) and had a truck axle fall right on my left big toe. Pretty much blew everything out of the end of my toe, turned the bone into a whole bunch of pieces. Messed me up pretty good, the doctors expected that I would never walk right again. It healed up ok, though I had to get surgery on it to remove bone fragments. I don't have full motion in it and if I put too much pressure on it, it still hurts like an SOB.... no tip toe walking for sure.

Had I been wearing steel toe boots, it may have ruined the boots, but it would have prevented the injury. Oh, did I mention that the one surgery cost about $10,000? That would buy ALOT of boots!

Since then, I don't chance it. They have saved my toes several times since then. So unless you work in an office all day, which I doubt most on here do, consider the boots normal footwear.

Just picked up a pair of Georgia Boot G032 logger bootsIMG_20151228_182918049.jpg at the local outdoor store. They look pretty well built and were marked way down to $139. Upon further inspection of course they are made in China.:(IMG_20151228_182833741.jpg

You guys may laugh but I love them. I was looking and found a pair of Craftsman branded at Sears that are unreal. Completely comfortable, warm and the protection all around is incredible and the best part, I walked out with them for $65. They look like fireman boots, but I didn't feel a think when I dropped a round on my toe
99cf1579f05e6c1828b19f802b14d2a7.jpg
ee2ce196187d953239d045d14ac25deb.jpg

Back