Sthil MS 461 vs Stihl MS 660 Dyno tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Hey guys to those I upset with my last post I'm sorry maybe I should have went at it in a different angle .Let's step back a couple steps who am I some ask . Im just your average mild age man with a degree in mechanical engineering. I went to school at Massachusetts institute of technology in Cambridge ma. I work Virginia Beach , Virginia and yes I am a hill billy . With that being said I think its great what you are tryin to do with the dyno just found your numbers that had been posted to be a little off. I wish you would have followed up with the numbers after you figured out your dyno wasn't pulling the right ones.With that being said I think some had a few things to say about respect . I see this as a two way street Maybe we should show a little more respect to those who work so hard to bring use these fine saws. The 461 does run great from the start or to say stock. Does it run better then the ms 660? No!!!! Maybe we should set back a thank some people for putting that single port muffler on it witch is so easily to mod to bring this saw to life. Let's not forget guys I'm pretty sure this is done do to the EPA . To all the Saw builders out there you don't really need a dyno to know how your work is doing put a sharp chain on her and let the saw do the talking and keep up the great work. One last things guys would love to see all the positive and negative things on the 661 let use know. If you took the time to read all of this thank you And keep a Stihl in your hands.

BS. Even a mechanical engineer from MIT would have basic concepts of English grammar mastered. This mess you just wrote makes you look like a child. You should have just left it at your first ignorant post instead of rambling on and removing any doubt of the depth thereof.

I think Hill Billy is a make believe dude. I figure he is a jealous member just making a fuss. He hasn't responded to any of my messages or any other threads.

Not too blatent a Stihl plant now are we?

I can out you having actually attended MIT with three questions...

Do you have the nuts to answer?

We show it in our system at work but have none in stock. I was in the tree and timber business for most of my life. I had a mix of saws. I ran MS440's until they were gone along with the 460. The 440 was the finest saw ever built IMO. I had a few modified ones that I built myself that would hold their own with a 660 in most situations. I then switched to all 460's in 2008. I ran 200t's in the air and used husky 346xp's for cutting big tops and bigger wood from the saddle because stihl doesn't have a saw in that class that compares. For the really big stuff I used husky 395's over the 660 because if both are stock there is no comparison between the two. I used the MS880 over the 3120 because I thought it was the winner in that situation. I still do a good bit of side work and now I use a 372xp and for big wood I still use the 880. I love the 460, that saw made me a lot of money. I have bought and worn out 12 of them since 1999 and only one gave me problems which was just because the mechanic at my dealer adjusted the carburetor too lean when one of my guys took it there and they ran it dull all day. I just opt for the 372 now because it's over 200 bucks cheaper. I have a 460 that I'm gonna keep. I had bought 6 440's when I heard they were retiring them but they were stolen. I have run the 460 and 660 side by side for many years. The 660 only outshines when using a 28 inch or above guide bar. But when running it against a 460 that I have modified it isn't much of a comparison. The only thing on the 660's side is that it will run much longer before needing an overhaul...But then the 395 is a little heavier but it takes more abuse and runs way longer before needing a top end...I would replace the top end on all of my saws approximately every 40 hours of run time because they got ran hard every single day. The loss of power is so gradual that you don't notice it until the top end is replaced. On the 880,660 and 395 I replaced the bottom end during the 3rd top end job just because I have broken crankshafts on a 660 and a 395

The last 395s I did for guys had a squish clearence of I swear almost 3/8ths of an inch....the rest of the port numbers worked out great when you just dropped the whole cylinder and matched the flow....

must be some really low octane fuelmin some market somewhere....

Oh and BTW for the vunce that opened one of mine and shot his mouth off that I didn't actuslly cut the ports so I ripped off the client....I did cut the ports but I make sure the oem dealers can never tell so that the client stll has his warrentee.

Idiit race builder wanna bes....

I still have you hacked up cylindrr with the broken base because you crowed to the client that he had to have a gasket and you machined the base...

I
And also have the golf piston you replaced his oem one with....I didn't rat you out on that....jackass

Thanks to chadihman's help with pics, videos of his dyno in operation, and emailing to each other, I have my own saw dyno that was just built.

I used chad's link to a website to find me a certain sized pump to run on the machine.

The pump I chose is a 15 hp / 8.5 gpm / 3,850 psi pump that pulls down modded 660's and 390's down to clutch slipping speed.

Once chad finds a bigger pump, he will be good as my pump still works for saws as small as stock 026's.

I did a base run on my ms260 mastermind saw and adjusted the flywheel for more timing, the numbers do change a little. Every little bit in the right direction helps add up to better power or if we did something wrong.

The dyno really helps to take some guess work, how chains are filed and operator error in cutting wood out of the equation.

Also the dyno really helps save the logs for the fun part, cutting competitions! :)

We went through a lot of wood tuning saws.

No more now. We tune them on the machine, then go cutting.

We ran a stock 660 against the masterminded 660.

The torque of the modded 660 is good and strong. The saw also ran cooler than the stock one on the machine.

Timed Cutting in a test log does show a difference.

Thanks chad! ;)

What in the world are you going on about?????
He is calling out someone - a vonce (as was once mentioned) that does not have the scruples to respond. I have my suspicions, but nothing concrete. This vonce stands accused of shoddy work and running his mouth trying to make someone else look bad ..................oh yeah, one more thing - the "jackass" also uses gulf pistons

Any guesses ?????

ok, I'm not a saw build but a saw user..started with Stihl 044s now after a boat load of 44s 440s, 460s through the the one 660 I bought 3 years ago, I bought a 461 yesterday. I've been felling with the 660 the last three years and running a 32" bar,
I slapped the 32 on the 461 and was greatly impressed. Not the same low end grunt I suppose but dayum she cuts good.

BTW, I've also had an 090. talk about lugging...me and the saw...

The MS461 greatly impresses me as well. You can install a MS460/046 coil and do away with the rev limiter. Advance the timing a few degrees, and add a dual port cover from a 046.........then it will have even more grunt.

Stop talking about the 461 before I add that to my "list" :)

I wouldn't mind sending my 460 to Chad when that 461 of Keith's goes. I am curious the difference :) Is the Strato the bee's knee's?

Latest posts

Back