• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 038AV Farm Boss $175

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
Here is a Stihl 038AV that has a bad piston. It came in from the local state park. It is a pretty clean saw except the obvious piston. If no one wants it I will put a aftermarket 52mm top end on it and use it myself1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Nice saw. If I wasn't overloaded with saws as it is...anyway, y'all know how that goes. GLWS.

I wish I would have just hauled all the 028-038-031-032 and 066 saws to the local auction this Saturday. At least then they would all be gone. It is too late now as they would never get advertised

Agree om the 031/2. I had a pair (031) that were flawless and it took 1 year to sell em locally.
Made a few dollars but dealing with the Craigs List aliens/tire kickers etc...sucked.

I wish I would have just hauled all the 028-038-031-032 and 066 saws to the local auction this Saturday. At least then they would all be gone. It is too late now as they would never get advertised

Understandable. It is a shame that these classics are becoming irrelevant to so many saw operators. Maybe I will have to take a drive down your way and haul a bunch back up to Michigan sometime. We are always short of good project saws and parts saws here.

Understandable. It is a shame that these classics are becoming irrelevant to so many saw operators. Maybe I will have to take a drive down your way and haul a bunch back up to Michigan sometime. We are always short of good project saws and parts saws here.

Well East Lansing is 800 miles round trip so that would be a heck of a drive. I live in Illinois and look at Iowa out the window. Sometimes shipping rates will surprise you. FedEx will pickup a 150lb package here and drop it off to you for $95. The fuel alone in my truck if I drove up there would be $196.00. I have sometimes had pallets sent through Fastenall also. What really stinks selling saws locally on an auction is the commission is 20% on $50-$499 items and %30 below that. Think about if I sell (15) saws at $150 each the total sales is $2250 but the commission is $450 which I think is hefty. I sold a Danuser post pounder for $450 there. The commission was $90 thus I got $360. Another dealer bought it and sold it on his sale for $900. Sometimes you lose and sometimes you win

I believe that your saw here is an 038 AVS EQ which is a Super. I have seen several top plates on the 038 Super, including the o38 AV Super, the Farm Boss 038 AVS, and the Farm Boss 038 Super all with (or without) electronic quickstop in cursive. The manual says that the 038S , 038AVSE , 038AVSEQ , 038SP , 038SEQFB , and 038AVSEQSB all have the 67cc engine and the 50mm piston. The AV non-super model has the 48mm piston, and the 038 Magnum has the 52mm piston.

If you were closer I'd be all over it!

Well I just checked USPS and it seems they have made some changes to Canadian shipments. It used to be that it did not matter where is the USA it was coming from and where in Canada it was going. Today they wanted a postal code. I used KOA and it came up with $76 and change.

Well I just checked USPS and it seems they have made some changes to Canadian shipments. It used to be that it did not matter where is the USA it was coming from and where in Canada it was going. Today they wanted a postal code. I used KOA and it came up with $76 and change.

All US$ as well. As I'm sure you know, our CDN dollar is doing horribly now. Buying anything from the States is extremely costly.

That makes for a grand total of 340$ CDN plus any extra if I got dinged at customs.

Obviously not your problem, but hence why I stated if you were closer, like over the border lol.

Looks like no one wants 028 and 038 saws. They are getting piled up with the 031 and 032's

All US$ as well. As I'm sure you know, our CDN dollar is doing horribly now. Buying anything from the States is extremely costly.

That makes for a grand total of 340$ CDN plus any extra if I got dinged at customs.

Obviously not your problem, but hence why I stated if you were closer, like over the border lol.

few of us up here like 038s. ^^^ is killin deals in us for me, too. id like to hear how a am 52mm top worked out, myself.

I just checked UPS and they are $49.15

You almost have to use USPS when shipping to Canada. The main reason is that Canada Post (CP) and USPS have an agreement to process and handle each others goods, clearing them through customs without charging the recipient a fee. UPS often has lower rates but unless you have a commercial account or your own brokerage they charge a minimum of $58 to clear the package through customs.

You almost have to use USPS when shipping to Canada. The main reason is that Canada Post (CP) and USPS have an agreement to process and handle each others goods, clearing them through customs without charging the recipient a fee. UPS often has lower rates but unless you have a commercial account or your own brokerage they charge a minimum of $58 to clear the package through customs.

Yup, been through this with every hobby I've ever had haha.

UPS will certainly charge you a butt load. Same with fedex, etc.

Latest posts

Back