Stihl 044 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the 044 Build you all have been waiting for and asking about. The plan is to get the Big Bore kit from NWP from Baileys. with a decomp valve. I have to measure the wrist pin first.
View attachment 170093

View attachment 170095

View attachment 170096

View attachment 170094

here is the pic

170093-imag0345-jpg

url]

170096-imag0349-jpg

170094-imag0342-jpg

Last edited:
I would pull the piston and put the cylinder back on so you can clean the saw properly. Much easier to work on that way. IMO

I would pull the piston and put the cylinder back on so you can clean the saw properly. Much easier to work on that way. IMO

Yeah it needs a proper cleaning. I will do that, and just plug the holes so no juck finds its way into the crank case. I just tore into it finally tonight.
Thanks,
-ac

I may be a 12mm pin just measure the diameter of it.. Or let us know the serial number... I think some of the early 12mm saws still had the angled fin cylinders.. Or it might not be the original cylinder..

I may be a 12mm pin just measure the diameter of it.. Or let us know the serial number... I think some of the early 12mm saws still had the angled fin cylinders.. Or it might not be the original cylinder..

I think ill trust and go with the measurement. When i get a micrometer or caliper i will get it. A day or two
-ac

should be able to compare the wrist pin to a 3/8 bolt 10mm is a little bigger than 3/8 12mm is a little bigger than 7/16

Good point, for what the OP is wanting to do i hope it is a 12mm.

How can you tell that it is a 10mm piston by looking at the picture?

Again, really?

Flywheel and cylinder, the cylinder without the decomp is a dead giveaway. The ms440 cylinder won't work on a 10mm 044 and vise-versa. The 10mm and 12mm pistons are not swapable and have different ring pin locations due to different intakes.

So all 12mm wristpin 044s have a decomp???

Nope! AFAIAA decomp wasn't introduced untill 2002 for this series which meant it was never on a 044. The date means even some MS440s don't have the decompression valve. Also my 044 has 12mm wrist pin with angled top fins.

Nope! AFAIAA decomp wasn't introduced untill 2002 for this series which meant it was never on a 044. The date means even some MS440s don't have the decompression valve. Also my 044 has 12mm wrist pin with angled top fins.

So does mine but it did not come that way from the factory. 044 angled fin cylinders work really well on a 12 mm pin crankcase. The 12 mm pin cylinders with straight across fins won`t work on a stock 10 mm crancase using a stock 10 mm pin piston due to ring location pins. Just move the pins and voila, the newer cylinder works fine. The OEM 046 P&C can be used on a 10 mm saw if pin bushings are made up with outer ends capped and the 10 mm pin shortened to accomodate the end capped pins, original C clips still retain the pins on the 12 mm piston.

Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back