Stihl 201T with advanced timing coming to a dealer near you!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Spoke with a large dealer here in SoCal and the discussion was the 200t... why they sell for $1000. One thing led to another, he say's that the 201Ts that are shipping today are 4.5 degrees advanced than the earlier version of that saw. That would make it run a little better! Still needs a muffler mod and limiters trimmed.

Cool!

Isn't unfair competition to have Brad, Randy, Terry, Mitch and whoever else I've forgotten (My apologies in advance) on the R&D Payrolls of Stihl, Husqvarna, Solo, Dolmar, Redmax, et-al at the same time? :confused: In all fairness, it would be a good thing if the factories listened in here for tips, although I suspect that they already know how to make them "right" but are unable to do so thanks to the fine-old EPA...

That's just it.......EPA has a strangle hold on performance. I believe that the OE engineers can build these saws to run anyway they want........which is one reason I attempt to just enhance what they have done before going for more intensive modifications. Many times, just those enhancements net more gains than any mods I can find.

I've installed and tested the coil, flywheel, and carb that will be on the new model. It's sold as a kit. I assume that's what they were referring to. Unfortunately, I found that it ran no better after the install. Now, even currently sold 201s run much better than they did when they first came out. At one point, I was getting a 40%-50% gain with my mods. I new get about 20%, meaning the factory supplied saws runs much better than they did. This saw that I installed the new coil, flywheel, and carb on got my same mods afterwards. It responded the same as the saws being currently sold.

So if someone is buying one off the shelf, how do they know whether they're getting the latest and greatest or last year's duds?

Latest posts

Back