Stihl 290 a good choice for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A MS290 will never be a good choise, regardless of the perspective - there are good reasons that they never sold them here!

:agree2:

You might want to get ahold of Thall and ask him about a "290." He was rebuilding 290's with OEM 390 top ends, and selling them quite reasonably. Certified Stihl tech, all OEM parts, and cheaper than new 290. That would be my angle.

Had a ole boy in the shop last week with a fried 290. Set it up with a 390 jug and piston, new bearings and seals. Took less than 1 hour to do since he already had it most the way apart. He came in today to tell me it cuts great, he loves it. Here's the clincher, he traded a running 350 Husky for a blown 290, now there's a smart man, sorry Sawtroll but those in the know aren't so fooled,hehehehehe

Had a ole boy in the shop last week with a fried 290. Set it up with a 390 jug and piston, new bearings and seals. Took less than 1 hour to do since he already had it most the way apart. He came in today to tell me it cuts great, he loves it. Here's the clincher, he traded a running 350 Husky for a blown 290, now there's a smart man, sorry Sawtroll but those in the know aren't so fooled,hehehehehe

I guess you can fool almost anyone with your sleek tongue, but you will never fool me - I know very well who and what you are, my friend! :cheers:

I guess you can fool almost anyone with your sleek tongue, but you will never fool me - I know wery well who and what you are, my friend! :cheers:

It wasn't my idea when he traded saws, I just put together the one he brought in. Now you go get your 350 and put a 346 jug on it and step up beside that 290/390 and see what happens, its embarrassing and at way less cost to boot,LOLOL

You can hate the 290 all you want but the facts are the facts, for the price Husky has nothing to touch it which is why it kills them in sales. With alittle jug job you'd have to buy a 357 at around 700.00 to outcut it, too funny,hehe

I gotta admit they will take a severe beating. I had a good size Wild Cherry, probably around twenty eight inches on mine yesterday. I had already said good bye to it when I cut the tree off of it with another saw, I even thought I heard a snap when the tree landed. Looked it all over, sighted down the bar, looked good, pulled the rope and finished the day with it. You won't hear nothing bad about a 290 from me. Grape vines caused the tree to twist off the stump.

i used to have a ms310 (before i joined as) and it was a great saw had it for like 8 years and never anything but bars, chains and fuel lines. my little brother and my nephew both have a ms290 and they beat the snot out of them year after year with nary a wimper so id say go for it!:D

I have a ms290 that i purchased off of ebay used. It was in ok condition, when I got it I done a compression test on it and it was around 115 120. From what I read that is kind of low. I cleaned it up (just the outside) done a muffler mod and bought a full chisel chain on a 20inch bar and the thing cuts like a champ. Now I have to say I have never used a pro saw but I love my 290. I would like to put a 390 jug on it but the 290 runs the 20inch fine. I have had it in some pretty big hardwood with no problem.

Had a ole boy in the shop last week with a fried 290. Set it up with a 390 jug and piston, new bearings and seals. Took less than 1 hour to do since he already had it most the way apart. He came in today to tell me it cuts great, he loves it.

Yeah that was the plan for my mate's 029 I'm rebuilding. From memory Tom you also have to redrill the main jet?

The 029/290 series are never going to set the world on fire but they are a solid, reliable little saw when maintained properly. My 5100-S will run rings around them with 5cc less but also more expensive.
I know a number of guys with 029's and apart from them getting hard to start with age due to improperly maintained carbys, breathers etc they do a job and do it well. As mentioned a 20" bar is a struggle in anything but soft woods but a 16-18" bar is fine. You can cut a lot of firewood with a 16-18" bar. The one I am currently rebuilding is only so I can get more power out of it - my mate tackles some pretty big and hard wood and it's just too much for this saw. He's currently borrowed my modded 390XPG and has a smile from ear to ear.
I think this 029 was bought in the very early 90's by my mate's dad, has been given a hiding in some pretty bad conditions by guys that have no concept of saw maintenance, and it still pulled 150psi compression :cheers:
My father in law also has an 029 that is still going strong.

With the current state of the housing market, a "homeowner" would be lucky if he could afford a MS180 !! Leave the MS361's, etc, to those with the foresight to rent through the housing bubble...

:yoyo:

I've had my 029 for ten years and bought it used. I've sawed quite a bit of wood with it and it just keeps going. My Dolmar 5100 S will out cut it but my 029 has been bullet proof. If a 290 is what your budget allows go for it. That saw will not let you down for reliability.

Last edited:
ms-290

I've had my MS-290 about five years now O problems yes It's not as fast as my old partner S-55 but it works every time. For cutting three to five cords per year it works fine. If I was going to buy a new saw I would go for a pro model though next time.

One of my saws is an 029. I have no beef with it. I actually put it together out of parts bin junk. Reflecting back I have too much into it but I think its a fine saw. Obviously its not a dolkita 8401 but it does just fine. For the $$ spent you won't be able to buy that kind of HP. Granted its also the heaviest of all the saws per HP but its cheap. Buy it, You'll be happy. I doubt you'd ever wear one out just cutting heating wood for your house.

Bullittman

Edit: Stock for stock I'd like to see a 260 out cut a 290

Don't have any worries about buying a 290. Nothing wrong with them. They are a good saw and will last you a long time. I've seen some running for years and being abused the whole time.

Maybe not as powerful as the 361, but it's starting to look like the 290 will at least cure the common cold...........

Nothing wrong with that series saw at all. I have a friend who has become a Jonsered fanboy, and anti-Stihl, but he just can't seem to kill his 310. They're tough, reasonably priced and have adequate power for anything most non-loggers will ever do.

Back