Stihl 290 a good choice for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 290 would do anything that I need out of a saw with no problem at all. I've had less trouble with that saw than my 440. Some people claim the 290 is junk because of how much power it has for the weight, well sure you can buy a 390/391 for the same weight but for how much more money?? If the 290 is the only saw in your price range buy it you won't be disappointed at all. Good luck!

I had an 029 for about 12 years and it was my homeowner saw. I own 27 acres and I bought it to clear downed limbs and used it to clear land for my new house. When I bought it I was still feeling the pain of buying that land and didn't have enough money to buy a professional saw, and I really didn't need one. It ran flawlessly and got regular maintenance - but never needed any repair. When I got my OWB and new I was going to be cutting a lot more hard wood - I sold it for $ 275 and bought a bigger saw. I believe it only cost me about $ 10 a year to own that saw.....it was a really good investment. I sold it to a Craftsman chainsaw owner and he loves it.

I now own 3 "PRO" model saws and they suit my needs very well - but I never regret owning a 029/290 model and never look down on anyone that does own one. The 290 cuts just fine and will be very durable if you take care of it.

I live in a rural community ...

and if you look in the back of about any 10 pickups, you'll probably see 8 or 9 290's. One good friend has an 029 as his "big" saw, and absolutely loves it. Another good friend has a 290, and hates the weight. Both cut for heat & clearing brush.

Me, I almost had one. Chased the salesman for 2 weeks before finding out, "It's sold". Was torqued for about a month ... UNTIL .... I found really good deals on a 5100 & a 7900. Now I'm GLAD it was sold !

Bottom line, there sure are a LOT of 290's around here being used on farms.

If you're purchasing tools tax-exempt then you're breaking the law... tools do not, and cannot legally be claimed tax-exempt.

Funny, I never pay sales tax on anything here. But, then again, I'm in Oregon.

Anywho, the 290 is a decent saw..for the money. Here they can be had for $380 OTD with an 18" bar and a decent chain, some oil, and maybe a case if you really hem and haw over it. This is fine, except for the fact that you can get a 260 OTD for $510 with an 18" bar and 3/8 chain and they will probably throw in a gallon of oil. If you are a ranch owner or farm owner, there is no question which to get for general purpose work, unless you want part of that work to be carrying a 14lb saw. For a pound less, and $220 more you can have a 20" 362/361 in your hands that is infinitely more capable. If you are a homeowner, you would be better served with an MS250 than a 290 - especially at nearly $100 less. If you have a big tree or two - rent a Makita 6401. Hrm...maybe the 290 isn't so decent after all, unless you like weight and want to pay less than 4 bills. A Redmax G621 or a Dolmar/Makita 64XX weighing 1 lb less, and only costing $75-100 more give you better value as well.

I just seen a dealers ad in my local rag the other day, new 290 for 359.00. I've had one for several years and the thing I dislike the most is the, clean me constantly, air filter. Otherwise its a great saw, serves my purpose fine. I'd probably be considered a more than average homeowner, I do sell some timber from time to time. Between it and my old Husky I get along.

Latest posts

Back