Stihl 290 or Dolmar 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtimm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I own a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar. How do the Dolmar 5100's stack up against this saw? I like the lighter weight of the Dolmar, but is it as reliable as the Stihl? I ran a Husky 450 this weekend and it was a great saw, light and really seemed to cut! Not sure if I should look into the Dolmar line of saws? Do they last?

290, even though it weighs more and is a homeowner saw i believe it is better, i have had way less problems with 029/290 saws than i have with the 420/510/5100s. that means less down time.

That one's a no brainer. The 5100 is a pro built saw and will cut circles around a 290. You won't find more saw for the money.
Brad,

Your not just sayin' that because one put a spankin' on 'ya a couple weeks ago, are you?

I'd take a 5100 any day over a 290, that's like asking if you would rather drive a Ford Focus or an Acura.

I'm unclear as to whether you're just asking or looking to replace your 290 withit.

If you're looking to replace the 290, and intend to actually get rid of the 290 to defray the costs of the 5100, this wouldn't be a bad thing. 290's fetch ridiculous amounts of money used (compared to most other saws, at least).

If you're looking to add a second saw, I'd go bigger, unless you have absolutely no need for it. No sense in having two saws of similar size even if they have different attributes if there's some need for a bigger saw.

Brad,

Your not just sayin' that because one put a spankin' on 'ya a couple weeks ago, are you?

I'd take a 5100 any day over a 290, that's like asking if you would rather drive a Ford Focus or an Acura.

Are you kidding? Given the two options provided here, it's an absolute no brainer. Not the saw I'd pick, but I answered the OPs question. I know, that's a novel idea around here, lol:)

Please explain.

i suppose being exposed to these saws regularly doesn't help but i have seen many suck in dust/dirt in and score the p&c so bad it barely runs, have seen a few intake boots split and seize up motors, seen a few rotating assembly problems, but only saw one snap a rod, also the coils seem touchy on these dolmars.

i have mainly seen fuel lines, and seals on the 290 which is not normally expensive if you check it before running it.

thats my $.02

Last edited:
Are you kidding? Given the two options provided here, it's an absolute no brainer. Not the saw I'd pick, but I answered the OPs question. I know, that's a novel idea around here, lol:)
Oh, I know that...only kidding about getting spanked.

But the point is, what a dumb freakin' question, the saws are completely different and not even in the same class of saw. Amazing how many dumb Qs you see like this on AS, maybe people are just looking for an excuse to get a new saw, that's good too! :cheers:

I wouldn't say the 290 is a bad saw, but it's a big lug of plastic...:chainsaw:

They do sell a lot of them, and they seem to work out for many folks, but at the end of the day it's a big lug of plastic. When I was at my buddies house last week, he liked the 350 I rebuilt better than the 029 Super. :rolleyes:

What can I say, I like the 350 better myself...lol

It would be replacing the 290. I have a little 180 with a 14" bar that tackles the little stuff. I have 4 chains for the Stihl, and I'm not sure what type of money it will bring? the Dolmar will run me around $400-$450 with just the 18" bar. I've heard the 5100 is a better saw, but do they last as long as the Stihls?

Amick's Superstore has them with the 18-inch bar for $395.

A lot of things factor into performance. It's not all about how fast the cut is or what the saw runs at max RPMs, as you already alluded to with your comment about longevity. Check out things like fuel/bar oil capacity, among other things, before you make a decision.

If you think your MS290 has enough poop to run a 20-inch bar with no mods, you can do a muffler mod with very little work on the 290. Lots of info on that here. I've done a bit of research on this fine site, and I'll be doing it on my 290 within a month. It won't cost a thing, and all the info I've seen here says it turns the 290 into a whole new saw. So is 20 minutes worth of muff mod better than going through all the rigamarole you have in mind? Maybe, maybe not. But it's something to consider. You know the quirks of your 290, while the 5100 will be a learning experience with a whole new series of quirks. Some folks love that experimentation, others would rather just dance with the one that brung them. :D

FWIW, I cut with that line of saws quite a few years ago when it was Sachs-Dolmar, and they were mighty fine saws. I mean top-line saws every bit as good as the pro Stihls I ran back then. I'm sure whichever you choose will be great for you. A win-win situation, if you will.

Last edited:
i have mainly seen fuel lines, and seals on the 290 which is not normally expensive if you check it before running it.
My understanding that there's quite a few that have fried pistons due to running lean, and the factory default on the 290 is set too lean without cutting the tab limiters off.

But this has also been said of the 5100 also, that it is set too lean from the factory also...so...I'm just sayin' about the 290, many of them seem to burn out. And because of shear numbers, I bet it's safe to say that more 290s have been fried than 5100s. :chainsaw:

blsnelling Quote:
Originally Posted by stihlboy
i suppose being a dealer doesn't help but i have seen many suck in dust/dirt in and score the p&c so bad it barely runs, have seen a few intake boots split and seize up motors, seen a few rotating assembly problems, but only saw one snap a rod, also the coils seem touchy on these dolmars.

Fred? Dealer?

Gotta say the "boy" has had quit a bit of experiance with about everything concerning saws...with the "many" he has seen that have sucked in dirt/dust and sieze and split intake boots,and JUST on dolmars that he must have seen/sold/repaired/cut with, probly thousands would be needed to reach that conclusion.. let alone ALL the other brands he has extensive experiance with to be able to make concrete based opinions on,,all the while being a student and living part of each year away from the saw enviroment and being a ripe old age of 22yrs..
my dolmar dealer also sell Jred but is much more comfortable ( not a slam guys ) selling the dolmars because of the dependability..

Cmon kid !!! what DID you DO on study break ??
nobody else has even HEARD of these problems with Dolmars to the extent you have SEEN them..
keep up the good work kid,your post's are always entertaining :)

My understanding that there's quite a few that have fried pistons due to running lean, and the factory default on the 290 is set too lean without cutting the tab limiters off.

But this has also been said of the 5100 also, that it is set too lean from the factory also...so...I'm just sayin' about the 290, many of them seem to burn out. And because of shear numbers, I bet it's safe to say that more 290s have been fried than 5100s. :chainsaw:

Of the 75-100 029/290's that come in a year I might get 5 that are set up. And usually 3-4 of those have been straight gassed, and only 1-2 are seized from from running lean due to an air leak. I've only had one setup due to a factory issue, and it was 100% covered under the warranty. In general the 290 is no more, or no less reliable than any other saw out there.

Of the 75-100 029/290's that come in a year I might get 5 that are set up. And usually 3-4 of those have been straight gassed, and only 1-2 are seized from from running lean due to an air leak. I've only had one setup due to a factory issue, and it was 100% covered under the warranty. In general the 290 is no more, or no less reliable than any other saw out there.
:agree2:I would get the 390 if I got anyone of the 3(290,311,390) that are all the same weight.

In general the 290 is no more, or no less reliable than any other saw out there.

Careful, dude. The 290 haters may come after you with their Dolmars, Jonsereds, Husqs, etc. Or if none of their saws are running, the haters may just use handsaws and pitchforks. Any tool in a storm! :deadhorse:

You would probably win that bet. Based on % sold verses % fried though the 290 would have a much lower % burnt up. You could also bet the 290 probably outsells all Dolmar saws combined and win that bet too. Remember for every 1000 Dolmar dealers in the USA selling a 5100 there are over 8000 Stihl dealers in the USA selling a 290. Yes its good to be the King,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Back