Stihl Dealers -- *** Good Grief ***

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the ms880 in to see about options for a bar&chains. Their main guy was not in and the others had no clue. They kept looking at the sale brochure and gasping that it could handle a 59" B&C. After awhile, they just got quiet and stopped looking for the information. They did give me the catalog to bring home, and I was able to find the detailed options in the back. It is a bit cryptic, but can be deciphered. I find it amazing that these older guys hadn't a clue about finding the information. Born on a Tuesday, maybe even last Tuesday...

Funny thing, each asked once or more, what I was going to do with the saw. Ah, cut some wood???

SD: But it is such a big saw, how can you control it?
MR: If the log is on the ground, all you got to do is hold the saw. (For dropping trees, be careful, it is a chainsaw.)

Yup, that is probably where I'm headed. The other bar options is the duromatic that doesn't have the removable nose sprocket, which is what the seller had as it was being sold with the 47" variety.

Chain options are limited also. Square tooth cutter seems interesting, but I don't know much about it.

$105 for a 41”.......best deal. 123 dl

Yup, that is probably where I'm headed. The other bar options is the duromatic that doesn't have the removable nose sprocket, which is what the seller had as it was being sold with the 47" variety.

Chain options are limited also. Square tooth cutter seems interesting, but I don't know much about it.
Get chipper or semi chisel full skip.
You will be cutting on the ground.

It's been my experience, if you go to a Stihl dealer for something, you better make damn sure you know exactly what you want and what it should retail for.

If you don't, it's not gonna be pretty.
You need a good dealer......
Mine tells me to wait a couple of days for a sale ......
Or gets a scrench out of the back and gives it to me for a full wrap because they don’t make them any more.
Or if I can’t make it by closing puts the parts in the bushes so I can have it when I need it.

You need a good dealer......
Mine tells me to wait a couple of days for a sale ......
Or gets a scrench out of the back and gives it to me for a full wrap because they don’t make them any more.
Or if I can’t make it by closing puts the parts in the bushes so I can have it when I need it.

Don't we all! And yes, I agree. But, I don't go to a dealer often enough to form any kind of a relationship.

I wouldn't call that place a stihl dealership. They're more like a licensed seller, and basically only stock homeowner grade. They typically aren't chainsaw mechanics and do not perform any labor other than changing spark plugs. They satisfy stihls minimal requirements by having a useable work bench on site and a salesman to take your calls.
I have yet to find a box store tech with a tachometer on hand.

As I recall, the bar for the ms880 is proprietary to that saw. I would ditch the 880 like nuclear waste and pick up a husky 395 or 3120. Any husky large mount bar and you can order it online.
Changing saws to make bars easier??
You don’t need bars to interchange on all saws.
Do you only have large or small mount husky?
And that bar has fit at least a dozed saws.

Changing saws to make bars easier??
You don’t need bars to interchange on all saws.
Do you only have large or small mount husky?
And that bar has fit at least a dozed saws.

Uhhh. Yea. I have a 36” bar and a 42” bar that can work on either the 395 or 3120. I have run the 36” on my dolmar 7900 in a pinch. Ordered on line delivered to my door. What is your time worth??

Uhhh. Yea. I have a 36” bar and a 42” bar that can work on either the 395 or 3120. I have run the 36” on my dolmar 7900 in a pinch. Ordered on line delivered to my door. What is your time worth??
Don’t fit all your huskies
Seems like a waste of money to change brands like that.
You can order 3002 bars on line anywhere
Not proprietary in any way. Lol
Who told you that?

Years ago I was at a Honda shop that sold Husky saws, while waiting for parts I was checking out a big husky they had on display right there at the parts counter. I had to laugh when I saw they had they chain on it backwards.

Did I tell them the chain was on the saw wrong?

Hell no!

I have always wondered if it was sold like that!

Get a Cannon bar for the 880; all sizes available. I'd definitely run skip chain if you plan to use a longer bar. I picked one up and it came with a 33" and 50" bars; more than I need. The 880 is a pig of a saw; real heavy and sucks fuel big time. Works great for bucking big wood or if you are falling larger trees. The power picked up on mine after I ran 15-20 tanks through it. I intend to use this saw for milling but a 066/660 would serve better for most of the cutting that I do.

Back