Stihl Extended warranty no more?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyler Monares

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up an MS461R.
Grabbed the PHO saw off the shelf. Grabbed a pack of the Stihl oil and set them both on the counter. Shop owner walked up, glanced at the saw and started ringing me up. At that point I tell him "make sure you sign me up for that extended warranty, getting this pack of oil also makes that possible correct?"

"Oh about that, yeah I'm sorry Stihl doesn't offer that anymore. I just found out last week. They said it was a promotional offer. The 1 year warranty is the only one available now...."

What?!!!!
Damn I'm glad I was able to be my 261 and 661 signed up for that last month! He told me they were still honoring the existing extended warranties. I didn't argue or hassle though. I was already late that day.

I got my 391 maybe a month or so ago and got the extended warranty. But they hooked it up for free without the extra purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. Something is up with my dealer then..... Next time I'll be in there is tomorrow morning. I'll get the skinny from him again. Show him the link to the double warranty.
Thanks again Brad!!!!!

I always doubled on my new purchases but have never had warranty claim. Curious if anyone has had warranty service?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Im a stihl dealer and its still going on. To tell you the truth a real warranty problem will happen within the first couple of hours But really the first 15 min. I had a ms251 that the piston was not drilled for the piston pin. It ran fine for about 30 min then all hell broke loose. The other was a blowed out seal on a hs56. In 15 years I've been there. A motor failure is rare from what I've seen and that's what the warranty covers only! Not carbs and all that.

I always doubled on my new purchases but have never had warranty claim. Curious if anyone has had warranty service?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Never. And if that's truly a selling point for a product I'm not so sure that I need/want that product...

Im a stihl dealer and its still going on. To tell you the truth a real warranty problem will happen within the first couple of hours But really the first 15 min. I had a ms251 that the piston was not drilled for the piston pin. It ran fine for about 30 min then all hell broke loose. The other was a blowed out seal on a hs56. In 15 years I've been there. A motor failure is rare from what I've seen and that's what the warranty covers only! Not carbs and all that.
Carbs are part of the emissions warranty. Those may be covered for up to 2 years depending on your region, regardless if it's for commercial or consumer use. Bad fuel or operator error of course is not covered. But the check valves tend to leak.

Pro saws were never extended warranty applicable.
Then how come my MS261 C-M, MS661R C-M and now my MS461R is under extended warranty?

Well I got the skinny.....

Dealer now says the extended warranty is not available for commercial use anymore? (I still don't quite believe him)

I told him how on earth does he think I'm a commercial user? I cut firewood and fall snags on our property. I'm not logging. He says "oh man I'm sorry I forgot about that, yeah let me get you that warranty extension"

Ugh. Starting to get frustrated with this guy.......
Ordered a 460 dual port cover as well as a 460 coil to throw on my new 461.

Then how come my MS261 C-M, MS661R C-M and now my MS461R is under extended warranty?

Well I got the skinny.....

Dealer now says the extended warranty is not available for commercial use anymore? (I still don't quite believe him)

I told him how on earth does he think I'm a commercial user? I cut firewood and fall snags on our property. I'm not logging. He says "oh man I'm sorry I forgot about that, yeah let me get you that warranty extension"

Ugh. Starting to get frustrated with this guy.......
Ordered a 460 dual port cover as well as a 460 coil to throw on my new 461.

Never been available for commercial use. Only homeowners.

If you make money with the tools you are considered commercial and the promotion doesn't apply to you.

Chain saws: Commercial use is 3 months warranty with or without ultra oil purchase. Emission related parts may be 2 years depending on region for commercial and is for homeowners.

As others have said, the double warranty is still in place.

On a related note, the SP-20 sprayer is back, we just got a shipment in today.

As others have said, the double warranty is still in place.

On a related note, the SP-20 sprayer is back, we just got a shipment in today.
Have you not been able to get them? We've had them again for a year atleast

Back