Stihl Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well can a Stihl cap be retrofitted to a 25 year old saw and vice versa like a Husky flippy cap?

Nope, not made the same. Flippy cap Stihl saws will only accept Stihl flippy caps because they have "flippy cap exclusive" tank openings in which only flippy caps will fit. So.....standard threaded caps will not fit in flippy cap tanks openings and flippy caps will not fit in standard tank threaded openings.
How many caps could a flippy cap flip if a flippy cap could cap flips??????

Pic is self explanatory but yeah... first thing on a cold december morning and dumped the whole tank on me climbing on a roof before I noticed. IMG_0209.JPG

Closely related... has anyone else noticed how hard these caps become to fit after a while? The one on my 231 has become a major nuisance lately. I almost need to hammer the oil one into place... and the saw is just three years old. Granted, it had a lot of tanks going into it but the much older 290 has no such problem.

Pic is self explanatory but yeah... first thing on a cold december morning and dumped the whole tank on me climbing on a roof before I noticed. View attachment 487577

Yup! Been there...done that! Kinda ticks you off don't it?

Closely related... has anyone else noticed how hard these caps become to fit after a while? The one on my 231 has become a major nuisance lately. I almost need to hammer the oil one into place... and the saw is just three years old. Granted, it had a lot of tanks going into it but the much older 290 has no such problem.

A new replacement o-ring on the cap usually fixes this problem. They tend to swell up over time and cause the cap to become hard to install.

Pic is self explanatory but yeah... first thing on a cold december morning and dumped the whole tank on me climbing on a roof before I noticed.

same thing happened to me ... since then i have become extremely careful of tightening the cap, and carrying the saw, never let that area of the tool rub against the body

A friend let me borrow his Stihl chainsaw pole pruner.

I tell ya, whoever the engineer was that designed the flippy caps should be shot, and the engineering manager who approved of the design should be right along side of him when they say "FIRE!". :msp_mad: :mad2:

I fill up the saw, and get it fired up. Pick it up, go to cut a branch overhead and feel my knee/calf getting wet. There went the first tank of fuel. Then it took me about 10 minutes to get the durn thing on the tank so it wouldn't leak.

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It could have been worse, it could have been the oil reservoir cap that is by the chain. I'd have gotten a bath for sure!
I totally agree, I know it’s an old thread, but try donkey dinking around with flippy caps at 25 below fighting with the flipping stupid caps till you almost have hypothermia only to find out that your leg is soaked in gas or bar oil. It’s absolute torture!
I’m talking about a new 261 Arctic. My MS 460 doesn’t have the same problem. I probably lose over 1 hr in production a day with a 4 person crew.
It’s hit and miss with these redonculous caps.
Stihl needs to take these saws out into the real world of cutting in arctic conditions.

Were the flippy caps something that people ever suggested to Stihl before they implemented them. Like were people asking for something other than the normal screw in caps back in the day or did Stihl just do it on their own accord?

Back