Stihl is the Bomb!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbuc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have to pass this on. I bought a Stihl 034 in 1986. In the last 10-15 years, I have hardly used it - sometimes it sits for 2-3 years at a time. I don't drain the tank or even replace the fuel, just top it off with some fresh stuff. Today I brought her out to cut down a 25' spruce tree. She started on the 3rd pull and ran like a clock with the sweetest idle you can imagine. The only repair I have done was maybe 16 years ago when I had a bar oil leak. Been so long I don't remember exactly what I did, but it involved a new rubber seal. Wow, what a machine!

I have to pass this on. I bought a Stihl 034 in 1986. In the last 10-15 years, I have hardly used it - sometimes it sits for 2-3 years at a time. I don't drain the tank or even replace the fuel, just top it off with some fresh stuff. Today I brought her out to cut down a 25' spruce tree. She started on the 3rd pull and ran like a clock with the sweetest idle you can imagine. The only repair I have done was maybe 16 years ago when I had a bar oil leak. Been so long I don't remember exactly what I did, but it involved a new rubber seal. Wow, what a machine!

If it is that good learn to take better care of her.

:jawdrop:
Glad your saw ran well BUT wise up as noted above. The equipment is only as good as the maintance.

I appreciate the comments and can see why you think I don't maintain my equipment. My wife would laugh because I spend a large amount (most?) of my time maintaining my cars and power equipment. It is true that I leave gas in my Stihl, but that is because I have learned over the years that it doesn't care whereas some of my Echo equipment can't stand gas that's more than a month old. Before I fire up the Stihl (every time), I remove the bar to make sure everything is clean around the drive sprocket and that oil pathway is perfectly clear. I adjust chain tension and make sure chain is getting oiled before I start cutting. I check chain tension again after it is warmed-up. I buy my chains from and have them sharpened by a professional (Chester County Timber). If any of you tore down and inspected any of my power equipment, I think you would be happy.

I agree that the 034s are great saws, workhorses that are stone reliable.

But leaving gas in seldom used OPE is a death sentence for that equipment. The gas from even a couple years ago is much different from today. You hear all kinds of stories about leaking fiberglass tanks, disolved fuel lines, and gummed up carbs. I used to think Stabil was the answer...

It only takes a few seconds to dump out the old fuel and run the carb dry. I have reduced my fuel related maintenance to almost zero by religiously storing my equipment without fuel.

I had a yard sale this past weekend and EVERYTHING that I pulled out of the shed started in 2 pulls or less.

Congrats on finding a keeper years ago in that 034. Treat it with some care and it might just outlast you.:chainsaw:

I appreciate the comments and can see why you think I don't maintain my equipment. My wife would laugh because I spend a large amount (most?) of my time maintaining my cars and power equipment. It is true that I leave gas in my Stihl, but that is because I have learned over the years that it doesn't care whereas some of my Echo equipment can't stand gas that's more than a month old. Before I fire up the Stihl (every time), I remove the bar to make sure everything is clean around the drive sprocket and that oil pathway is perfectly clear. I adjust chain tension and make sure chain is getting oiled before I start cutting. I check chain tension again after it is warmed-up. I buy my chains from and have them sharpened by a professional (Chester County Timber). If any of you tore down and inspected any of my power equipment, I think you would be happy.

Sorry for sounding rude ... you have yourself an awesome saw. Leaving old gas in a saw is a death sentence to the carb. ... even a stihl. Sounds to me like you work at maintaining your equipment ... do yourself a favor - drain the gas. :buttkick:

Sorry for sounding rude ... you have yourself an awesome saw. Leaving old gas in a saw is a death sentence to the carb. ... even a stihl. Sounds to me like you work at maintaining your equipment ... do yourself a favor - drain the gas. :buttkick:

Gotcha. No more leaving gas in the tank. One reason I have left gas in the tank was to avoid the tiny bit left from evaporating away leaving a nasty tar which is almost impossible to get rid of. I'm thinking adding a little bit of Stabil might be better than running the tank dry. Which do you guys prefer?

Gotcha. No more leaving gas in the tank. One reason I have left gas in the tank was to avoid the tiny bit left from evaporating away leaving a nasty tar which is almost impossible to get rid of. I'm thinking adding a little bit of Stabil might be better than running the tank dry. Which do you guys prefer?

Staybill is fine just empty before filling with fresh and before pulling rope! I never stop using saws so it is not a bother for me.

Stabil red sucks.

you should look for StarTron instead.

Use the saw more. That will solve alot of problems..... Mike

I did tell my wife that if she buys more furniture I still start cutting it up for firewood.:greenchainsaw: Seriously, I don't have many opportunities to use it these days and I am definitely not going to let people borrow it. I've had this nice saw for too many years to let someone muck it up!

I bought a Stihl 034 in 1986. In the last 10-15 years, I have hardly used it - sometimes it sits for 2-3 years at a time. I don't drain the tank or even replace the fuel, just top it off with some fresh stuff. Today I brought her out to cut down a 25' spruce tree. She started on the 3rd pull and ran like a clock with the sweetest idle you can imagine.

Obviously, the saw is doing fine. I doubt that, after 23 years, it will all of the sudden go to hell. :cheers:

Back