Stihl ms 241 arctic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighthunter

addicted to arboristsite
Reaction score
It's not cold enough in Ireland to warrant heated handles on a saw, I was at my dealer yesterday enquiring about about 241s and was set to make my purchase when I just asked about the arctic version, he told me he could get it for the same price as a regular version but I'd have to wait a week or two to get it, Would it be worth it

It's not cold enough in Ireland to warrant heated handles on a saw, I was at my dealer yesterday enquiring about about 241s and was set to make my purchase when I just asked about the arctic version, he told me he could get it for the same price as a regular version but I'd have to wait a week or two to get it, Would it be worth it
Not if you don’t need it. It’s just added weight if it’s not a cold enough climate to require it.

I seriously doubt that one could even tell any weight difference in they were holding one of each in their hands.

If they could tell a difference, I'd be impressed.

But.....if the cost is the same, go for the Arctic version. What's a couple of weeks? :popcorn2:
If you work with a saw all day you will for sure notice an almost one pound difference. Why add weight that’s not needed? Why add a system that might fail and cost money to repair. He stated his climate doesn’t need heated handles so I’m confused why you would recommend this option. Resale value?

I have heated grips on my BMW motorcycle. It's a 2003 model. I don't even know if they work, as I've never turned them on.

I prefer to ride in cold weather too. I wear thin leather gloves and they prove to be sufficient.
But yet you recommend a saw with heated handles when not needed?

If you work with a saw all day you will for sure notice an almost one pound difference. Why add weight that’s not needed? Why add a system that might fail and cost money to repair. He stated his climate doesn’t need heated handles so I’m confused why you would recommend this option. Resale value?

If the price is the same.....why not go with heated handles. I'd always heard that the Arctic versions cost more. When I had my dealer order in the MS-241 C-M for me, I never thought to ask about the Arctic version. Don't know if he would have quoted me the same price or not.

If he could have quoted me the same price, I would have gone with the Arctic. And yes, you are right about working with a saw all day long. The OP didn't give me the impression that he did though. Neither do I.

If for nothing else, resale value like you said. And, if by some chance the OP finds himself needing to cut wood on a cold day, he'll have the option of keeping his hands warm.

Same price? Seems like a no-brainer to me. :yes:

I did find this:

The weight of the reg. MS-241 C-M power-head only, is 9.9 lbs. The Arctic version power-head is 4.8 kg.

4.8 kg = 10 lbs. / 9 oz.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...aws-for-forestry/21932-131/MS-241-C-M-VW.aspx
Roughly a 280g difference in weight for the 241 if Stihl is even accurate (according to some on this board Stihl are known to cheat at weigh in time).
Anyway it's hardly a difference. Dry gloves are good wet gloves are bad. 280 grams is a lot to add to a 6-7 kilo saw but not much to add to 4.5 kilo saw
I used the heat on my arctic for the first time last weekend. It's nice. Definitely worth the weight (mine is on a 441c with 3/4 wrap so much more weight gain).

I can't tell any weight difference between my heated/non-heated 372's. The heated handles are nice even on a cool rainy days (my hands are messed up). Plus you can get away with light cotton gloves.

Same price? Go heated.

Can heated handles be turned on/off on a saw

Yes

They are a nice feature in the cold and wet. But rarely is there a need for them until it gets toward freezing. At sub-zero F temps, they are very nice, though.

They add little weight, honestly. If available, I’d get it even if they rarely get used.

They are nearly a must-have for pros here (have to work in all weather)..along with the heated carb that usually goes along with it

FWIW.

The heated carb is an important part of the arctic version. It rarely gets mentioned.

Latest posts

Back