Stihl MS251 vs MS271 for my firewood habit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will check out the Dolmar 421. If I decide on the 251 should I take the 18" bar that it comes standard with or would it run better with a 16? I think I remember reading somewhere that the "wood boss" 18 is more like a 16" anyway...
Hard to answer that exactly. The sensible thing to do in getting an ms251 is to get the dealership to swap out the 0.325 pitch chain bar and sprocket for the mini spline kit and 3/8 picco set up. It came up $7 less for me. Might as well get the 18 inch bar and use 62 links with the 7 tooth drive the sprocket kit comes with. Yes those smaller Stihl bars the 3005 series have less drive link count than the 3003 at least in "18 inch" and 0.325. Even if you later choose to use 0.325 chain just get a different drive sprocket, about $7 from Stihl and a narrow kerf 0.325 bar and chain about $30 if you shop around. "wood boss" seems new in this model, wonder if that means lower grade bar than before. My 18 inch picco bar was made in Germany, not sure what you will get now.

Hard to answer that exactly. The sensible thing to do in getting an ms251 is to get the dealership to swap out the 0.325 pitch chain bar and sprocket for the mini spline kit and 3/8 picco set up. It came up $7 less for me. Might as well get the 18 inch bar and use 62 links with the 7 tooth drive the sprocket kit comes with. Yes those smaller Stihl bars the 3005 series have less drive link count than the 3003 at least in "18 inch" and 0.325. Even if you later choose to use 0.325 chain just get a different drive sprocket, about $7 from Stihl and a narrow kerf 0.325 bar and chain about $30 if you shop around. "wood boss" seems new in this model, wonder if that means lower grade bar than before. My 18 inch picco bar was made in Germany, not sure what you will get now.
Why would that picco chain setup be better than the .325 setup it comes standard with? The selling point my dealer was trying to make was that the 251 is the first saw as you go up in size that comes with the .325 chain

Why would that picco chain setup be better than the .325 setup it comes standard with? The selling point my dealer was trying to make was that the 251 is the first saw as you go up in size that comes with the .325 chain
First I will say the existence of that mini spline drum and picco 7 tooth rim is the main reason I chose to get a ms251. It is a hard case to make Stihl 251 over Dolmar 421 unless that mini spline is in the mix. The Dolmar can also use a rim drive set up but only Stihl has sprockets designed for 3/8lp/picco.

As to the question. Much safer chain the picco, easier on the clutch which a lot of folks seem to melt the surrounding composite material, removes a thinner amount of material.

I might also note that if you get the non easy start model it only has one starter pawl. See if your dealer thinks that is a great thing, the largest saw with only one starter pawl. Guessing a bit here.

For the amount of cutting you do, a well maintained MS251 will last you at least 10 years or more. I would go with the picco setup with an 18" bar or .325 with a 16". I would plan on opening up the muffler and deleting the limiters once your warranty is up...the newer mufflers are pretty restrictive with a pencil sized outlet.

The Dolmar does get rave reviews around here but I have no experience with it.

I can't lie though. One time I drove out to a husky dealer about 45 min away. I wanted to get my hands on a husky saw just to compare. This dealer sold both stihl and husky so I was able to compare them side by side. What turned me off was that I knew more about the saws than the guy behind the counter. No lie. He couldn't even answer the length of the warranty when I asked.
Anyway from an untrained uneducated firewood cutter I can tell you this.
The 550xp felt like a race car compared to the 261! With that being said I used to own a 261 and really liked it. I just don't need that much saw anymore. I am afraid what I am about to purchase will fall short since I am forever spoiled by the first real saw I owned. The 261
What happened to your 261? Hard to believe you would go from a 261 to a 251

I lifted both today, and the 271 was a bunch heavier. Made me like the 251. Does't matter if just bucking, but for cutting face cuts it matters to me.

Back